Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Most of the studies by some of the top economic schools in the country - as well as the CBO and other non-political sources - indicate your contention that the Stimulus failed is wrong:

Did the stimulus work? A review of the nine best studies on the subject - The Washington Post

Tell us YOUR economic credentials again - other than watching political pundits on TV?

Ken
I will tell you mine as soon as you tell me yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I will tell you mine as soon as you tell me yours.
I don't base my predictions on economics, I base it on HISTORY - which I'm educated in (along with Computer Science) and could TEACH - and this is particularly true in regards to Germany in the 20th century (an era in which I have long had a special interest - both in regards to the World Wars AND the interwar years).

So I know plenty enough about the hyperinflation of the post WWI years to know ignorance when I see it posted here.

Ken

Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
I don't base my predictions on economics, I base it on HISTORY - which I'm educated in (along with Computer Science) and could TEACH - and this is particularly true in regards to Germany in the 20th century (an era in which I have long had a special interest - both in regards to the World Wars AND the interwar years).

So I know plenty enough about the hyperinflation of the post WWI years to know ignorance when I see it posted here.

Ken
Again, here you go with trying to compare a gold standard policy with a fiat one......History only matters when you don't want to revise it.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Again, here you go with trying to compare a gold standard policy with a fiat one......History only matters when you don't want to revise it.
And again, here you go bringing up the silly gold standard - that has no bearing on anything. As I said on the other thread, you folks have NO qualifications to accurately discuss economics. You throw these terms around that you read on the internet and THINK you know what you are talking about - but you DON'T.

Ken

Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
And again, here you go bringing up the silly gold standard - that has no bearing on anything. As I said on the other thread, you folks have NO qualifications to accurately discuss economics. You throw these terms around that you read on the internet and THINK you know what you are talking about - but you DON'T.

Ken
Yea, gold standard and fiat money... same thing.

If the gold standard has no bearing on anything..

Why did Lincoln printed his own fiat money to fund the civil war...??

Will you argue that FDR killing the gold standard and then reinstating a modification of it escalated the Military-Industrial Complex??

Nixon went off the gold standard during Vietnam, coincidence?

JFK wanted to go back to the Gold Standard.... he was killed...

The Revolutionary War? Funded by worthless money called "Continentals" - which you might argue was a just war. The outcome of that war brought forth The U.S. Coinage Act of 1792

Coinage Act of 1792 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anybody that debased the currency was put to DEATH.

We have now adopted a monetary policy of DOING EXACTLY THAT.

Keep telling yourself there is no difference between the two....I already gave you more proof of this earlier in this thread which you conveniently ignored. I actually gave you an article that shows you exactly how fiat money is much more inflationary than a gold standard.

Oh yea, there was another guy who went off the gold standard one time.... Think his name was Hitler. But he wasn't a war monger or anything. History, I tell ya.

Bush and Obama surely have no interest in fiat monies and central banks necessary for war....because they have never deployed troops..... I mean Afghanistan is no Vietnam, right? Didn't something go down in Iraq recently too?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Yea, gold standard and fiat money... same thing.

If the gold standard has no bearing on anything..

Why did Lincoln printed his own fiat money to fund the civil war...??

Will you argue that FDR killing the gold standard and then reinstating a modification of it escalated the Military-Industrial Complex??

Nixon went off the gold standard during Vietnam, coincidence?

JFK wanted to go back to the Gold Standard.... he was killed...

The Revolutionary War? Funded by worthless money called "Continentals" - which you might argue was a just war. The outcome of that war brought forth The U.S. Coinage Act of 1792

Coinage Act of 1792 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anybody that debased the currency was put to DEATH.

We have now adopted a monetary policy of DOING EXACTLY THAT.

Keep telling yourself there is no difference between the two....I already gave you more proof of this earlier in this thread which you conveniently ignored. I actually gave you an article that shows you exactly how fiat money is much more inflationary than a gold standard.

Oh yea, there was another guy who went off the gold standard one time.... Think his name was Hitler. But he wasn't a war monger or anything. History, I tell ya.
The difference between all those historical cases you mention and TODAY is that TODAY there is NO ONE on the Gold Standard. A nations' currency is not measured against GOLD - it's measured against OTHER NATION'S CURRENCIES. If all nations are on the Gold Standard and one nation drops it, then YES that nation is at an economic disadvantage, but not when ALL NATIONS have dropped the Gold Standard.

This is what you folks don't seem to understand. The ONLY folks who care about the Gold Standard are a few economic outlyers and the PEOPLE WHO SELL GOLD. The whole Gold Standard argument is just a SALES PITCH. I saw the same nonsense back in the late 70's - just before gold prices collapsed. Same thing will happen this time around. Gold is just a commodity in a bubble - that's it.

Ken

Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Amazon was the big winner this Christmas. Their sales increased 40% compared to 2011.

I did most of my shopping over the internet myself and had it shipped to family.
That is the trend..internet shopping.

I did do some local shopping and found there weren't the crowds of past Christmas seasons during the weekend.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
The difference between all those historical cases you mention and TODAY is that TODAY there is NO ONE on the Gold Standard. A nations' currency is not measured against GOLD - it's measured against OTHER NATION'S CURRENCIES. If all nations are on the Gold Standard and one nation drops it, then YES that nation is at an economic disadvantage, but not when ALL NATIONS have dropped the Gold Standard.

This is what you folks don't seem to understand. The ONLY folks who care about the Gold Standard are a few economic outlyers and the PEOPLE WHO SELL GOLD. The whole Gold Standard argument is just a SALES PITCH. I saw the same nonsense back in the late 70's - just before gold prices collapsed. Same thing will happen this time around. Gold is just a commodity in a bubble - that's it.

Ken
Look, I am not saying we need to return to the gold standard. What I am saying is, that ship has sailed. We sold the gold standard up the river, for a war economy. That is the big picture here. Yes, everybody else dropped the gold standard and we are not at an economic disadvantage because we are still the worlds reserve currency.....and that flies because we are a WORLD BULLY.

We didn't trade a bad economic system for a better one. We just dropped gold for war.

We can argue that housing yield is trending up due to short supply and take the glass half full approach - YAY RECOVERY. And then talk about how food and gas (or prices across the board since CPI doesn't count those commodities, whatever.. point is food and gas actually DON'T go up because of printing) going up isn't due to increasing the monetary base "YAY - see? NO PRICE INFLATION - the Keynes were RIGHT (at the present moment) "

All that is really myopic.....

The doomsdayer outlook is justifiable...when you see why we adopted this way of money.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Look, I am not saying we need to return to the gold standard. What I am saying is, that ship has sailed. We sold the gold standard up the river, for a war economy. That is the big picture here. Yes, everybody else dropped the gold standard and we are not at an economic disadvantage because we are still the worlds reserve currency.....and that flies because we are a WORLD BULLY.

We didn't trade a bad economic system for a better one. We just dropped gold for war.

We can argue that housing yield is trending up due to short supply and take the glass half full approach - YAY RECOVERY. And then talk about how food and gas (or prices across the board since CPI doesn't count those commodities, whatever.. point is food and gas actually DON'T go up because of printing) going up isn't due to increasing the monetary base "YAY - see? NO PRICE INFLATION - the Keynes were RIGHT (at the present moment) "

All that is really myopic.....

The doomsdayer outlook is justifiable...when you see why we adopted this way of money.
Um, the CPI does count food and gas. It's just the CORE CPI that doesn't. There's a REASON for that. Those 2 particular items are very volatile - they bounce around a LOT. Gas prices rise every summer and then fall again every winter. Food prices are affected by weather and can thus change drastically up and down based on a single storm. For economic planning or examining long-term trends those types of variations are not useful information because WHEN you take the "snapshot" can drastically change the picture - and thus make long term forecasts or honest and accurate projections etc much much harder. This is WHY the CORE CPI excludes them. They are NOT ignored, they simply not including those in THAT particular metric. The standard CPI does include them and is released every single month right alongside the CORE CPI.

Again, you are simply betraying your ignorance and the fact that you seem to be basing your economic views on the propaganda pumped out by political "talking heads" rather than any fundimental knowledge of economics.

As you can see - food and gas (as well as heating oil) right at the very TOP of the report:

Consumer Price Index Summary

Ken

Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Lightbulb Weakest Retail Spending Since 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
An increase from last year of only 0.7% even with the economy supposedly doing gang busters and in full blown recovery. Hmmm. They blamed Hurricane Sandy and the Sandyhook Shooting but it looks like the urge to spend money wasn't there and neither was the money.
People looked for bargains and have gotten a little shrewder in their spending with more limited income. I think they'll hit the stores for steeply discounted after Christmas sales. That and the gun dealers.
Best opening day for a new year ever on Wall St. 215,000 new jobs in December exceeds projections.

RWNJ economic doom and gloom wishes put on hold again.

Chin up, though. Your teabaggers in the house will try to use the debt ceiling "crisis" to do more damage to our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies