Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Do you really think that someone is gonna believe that? C'mon...at least tell a fib that's believable.

No one has been paid a dollar an hour in one hell of a long ass time. What are you, 100 years old? You also walked home from school in the snow with bare feet going uphill both ways in sub zero temperatures?

Stop it.
I can believe him only because he worked in a sweat factory. There is not a whole lot of demand for sweat these days. Bottles at Walmart are going for under $1. So when you maunfacture sweat, you don't get paid much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
He does make some good points. The prison industrial complex is a modern form of slavery fed largely by the war on drugs. Occasionally a white guy, me included, will get sucked into it too but even then we have it better than the blacks and Hispanics do.

[VIDEO] Quentin Tarantino: Slavery Still Exists In U.S. — ‘Django Unchained’ - Movieline
I'll read the article and watch the video in a few minutes but I would like to come up with a response before doing that. Well, for a little back ground information I'm a African-American, 20 years old (turning 21 the 30th), enrolled in college, with a decent job, and I've never been to jail. So to elaborate, I do believe the prison-industrial complex exist as well as the military-industrial complex; there are companies such as Corrections Corporation of America that profit from our government sending predominately minorities to jail. Will this stop? No, of course, but why? These same exact private-prison companies support our congressmen, these 'men' crave power no matter who has to go to jail so any funding towards their campaigns or even for their personal use will keep the complex accelerating. I'm not saying everyone that goes to jail doesn't deserve to be there because that's simply not true, but I can bet about 40-50% doesn't need to be their.

When I lived in North Carolina, we had a paper that named the Jailbird that essentially posted each and every picture of those arrested every week. Guess who the predominant race was in the paper? African-Americans mind you, only 35% of the counties population was African-American. So what I'm guessing is that racial profiling is going on but its not documented legally; I say this because I've always been a racially diverse person and I see that Caucasian-Americans of my age did just as much illegal activity as those whom are my race.

In fact, so you can see for yourself those mostly arrested were African-American and look at their charges.
Jail Bookings for 2012-12-28 | The Daily Reflector

Honestly, we African-Americans could've been a much better place than we are today if it weren't for corporate greed, if it weren't for drugs, if it weren't for the oppression that some can't see. I'm lucky I've never had to struggle in my life, but just as I said in a post a few weeks back, would you rather starve or rob someone who drives a Mercedes-Benz? Morally you'd say starve or better yet find a job, but its just not obtainable for some of us, so logically you'd rather rob than starve. It's survival of the fittest out there.

When I say corporate greed slowed progression within the black-communitiy I'm speaking on these companies such as GM sending plants abroad to further profits. A prime example of a entire-city going down the tube that was once a near wonderland for African-Americans is Detroit. Detroit created some of the greatest music man has known, it's created something America and much of the world is now dependent on, it created much of America's wealth, and etc. Detroit was actually a good city to live in at one point, is what I'm saying. By these companies driving away the jobs, left many displaced/unemployed and their families to starving. These companies weren't paying too well but they were paying well enough for their families to sustain; so when they moved two new industries moved in and expanded: illegal drugs and gangs. They could either sell or do the drugs, many of which decided to do the drugs which fed the families of the drug dealers. These same African-Americans who at one point were making a honest living, are now either strung out or selling drugs.

Some people (those in my race) must have forgotten the Million Man March, we've forgotten that we at one point were legally considered 3/5th human, we've forgotten that we were slaves, we've forgotten progress and that's why the industrial-complex is growing rampant. You have people such as myself that would be considered a "oreo" because I want to become something greater than a drug dealer or gang-banger. Or I've even heard that because I talk educated, I'm not down for "the cause". What cause? Any cause we have is because we're failing to move forward. We've become a race of ego, not a race of progress. It's not welfare that's killing us, its us thats killing us and stopping progress. Its us that are sending us to jail. So once we realize yet again that we can become something more, only then will we become more.

Also something that I saw for my own eyes, was the School-to-Prison pipeline. If any of you don't know what it is, here's a article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School-to-prison_pipeline

Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah, I bet he's one of the slave drivers on his own sets too. BTW, the ONLY reason minorities don't fair as well in court is because they can't afford the defense. It's NOT because of racism.
Tell that to the rednecks that sit behind the bench and the worthless rasist prosecutors out there. Racism is a part sentencing disparities and so is access to good legal representation. Do purposely under estimate the other.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
The mass-incarceration system--supported by our curious assumption that incarceration is the best or only solution for every social problem--is absolutely profit-driven and that fact makes it almost impossible to reform in any humane or reasonable direction.

It's not entirely based on racism, but it is hugely shaped and conditioned by racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies