Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I wonder how many principals are keen about having to have a gun standoff, with a crazed killer wildly firing a Bushmaster, in their job description.
If a crazed Bushmaster weilding killer is heading your way intent on killing you, I think you just might shoot them before they shoot you. Trouble with the recent tragedy: The teachers and principal didn't have that option because they were in a gun free school zone.

It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out. If it works then it will become more and more widespread. Even super-duper blue states will implement it. If there this creates a whole bunch of problems like the Dems out there are so sure it will, then it will fail and die like any experimental program of this sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
I thought conservatives were against requiring citizens to do certain things?

Anyway, the push for a conservative police state continues. Not a shocker in a state where two loons, Brewer and Arpaio are prominent political figures. Damn shame.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i dont think u can make a teacher or principle carry a gun. u must tell them upfront when u hire him that carrying a gun comes with the job.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-26-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I wonder how many principals are keen about having to have a gun standoff, with a crazed killer wildly firing a Bushmaster, in their job description.
I sure wouldn't. Bet you this won't be legally allowed. Requiring a citizen to be armed to be principal of a school sounds unconstitutional to me. You can't force people to use weapons.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
I like this idea of having school principals and at least one other employee of the school being armed as a deterrence to prevent violent crimes on kids. I believe every state in the nation should implement a similar tactic. The idea proposed by Arizona's attorney general is backed by sheriffs and should pass the legislative process.

Arizona plan would arm principals - CNN.com

Horne compared the plan to the FAA's program adopted after the September 11, 2001, attacks to arm airline pilots.
A school would be invited to send the principal "or another designee" to "training in the use of firearms and how to handle emergencies such as that which occurred in Newtown," Horne's release said. Horne's office would oversee the free training with help from sheriffs, he said.
More insanity from the US...Your society is sick.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
It's a long way from a done deal. So far, at least three sheriffs have come out against it and many city PD chiefs are certain to follow. For whatever reason LEOs are just not big on the idea of weapons in poorly trained hands in schools. The state used to have a cop in school program but it got cut in budget cutbacks. Most sane people here think that restoring the funds and that program is a much better approach than having a designated shooter on the faculty. Unfortunately, the sane people do not run the legislature though.

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
I like this idea of having school principals and at least one other employee of the school being armed as a deterrence to prevent violent crimes on kids. I believe every state in the nation should implement a similar tactic. The idea proposed by Arizona's attorney general is backed by sheriffs and should pass the legislative process.

Arizona plan would arm principals - CNN.com

Horne compared the plan to the FAA's program adopted after the September 11, 2001, attacks to arm airline pilots.
A school would be invited to send the principal "or another designee" to "training in the use of firearms and how to handle emergencies such as that which occurred in Newtown," Horne's release said. Horne's office would oversee the free training with help from sheriffs, he said.
I've asked YOU this question several times and although you are a "big brave gun toter" you seem to lack the courage to answer...

WHO pays for this?

You want bigger government and more taxes....JUST LIKE A REPUBLICAN!!!!!!!!

How big a raise do these "union thugs" ( REPUBLICAN TERM FOR TEACHER)get from the taxpayers for this added skill not to mention being forced to lay their lives down for others????

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
If a crazed Bushmaster weilding killer is heading your way intent on killing you, I think you just might shoot them before they shoot you. Trouble with the recent tragedy: The teachers and principal didn't have that option because they were in a gun free school zone.

It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out. If it works then it will become more and more widespread. Even super-duper blue states will implement it. If there this creates a whole bunch of problems like the Dems out there are so sure it will, then it will fail and die like any experimental program of this sort.
If a crazed assault rifle wielding killer is heading your way, an armed teacher would just offer more ammo to the killer. If real cops couldn't stop columbine and real soldiers couldn't stop fort hood, what in the hell makes you think a 60 year old EDUCATOR will fair better? Maybe you cons forgot that schools are not jails...Stop it with your police state fantasy.

Hey, why not barbed wire, medal detectors and electric fences. Maybe force each student to wear bullet proof vests and carry there own pistols..Hey, while your at it, lets just cancel school!! A dumb, scared populous would certainly be more conservative.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
I'm trying to picture one of my principals engaging in a shootout. Maybe Mrs. Harris would of been able to take out a perp.

California allows school districts to have police departments.

14 or so school district have them. That seems like enough campus security to me.

Clovis Unified School District

Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
They are probably already armed. This just makes it legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies