Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Over 80% of the Farm Bill is SNAP. It needs to be renamed to the Food Stamp Bill.
Why? One simple question: Why are you so strongly opposed to a food stamp or food assistance program?

I've never run into anyone who argues against it as stridently as you do. There must be a good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
There's no argument here..states are doing it and allowing it for that very reason..the disabled and homeless.

People, laws are changing overnight and you need to keep up.

Florida, California, Arizona and Michigan all now let you use food stamps at fast food restaurants like KFC, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, etc.

Fast Food Chains Getting Into the Food Stamp Act - ABC News
Yum! Brands, based in Louisville, Ky., which operates a string of restaurants that includes Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver’s and Pizza Hut, are among those applying for inclusion in the food stamp program, saying that elderly, disabled and homeless people have difficulty preparing meals, ABC affiliate WHAS reported.
So we kill off the elderly, disabled and homeless with obesity, diabetes and heart disease. And save the children with Mrs. Obama's lunch rationing plan. They only care about health of school kids, not the mentally ill I guess. Good plan.

Whatever did the homeless do before Big Macs, nacho cheese fries and 40oz. Cokes were free in these places? What are they doing in states that don't cover fast food? And as for the mentally ill, NO, they don't necessarily know how to eat properly, they will kill themselves with free fast food. This is a great argument for limiting food stamps to nutritious food. And we are the mean ones? No, anyone giving the mentally ill free reign to poison themselves to death while complaining about obesity in children is cold as ice.

We want a free fast food nation for all while whining about diabetes epidemic? Just sick.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Don't jump all over me about that. That is the reason the FF places are being allowed to use food stamps.
How do these FF places insure that it's only the homeless and disabled using them ? Do they prevent the able bodied family of 4 from using them for a night out at McDonald's ?

FWIW I'm all for just giving them this monthly allowance with no restrictions.
Let them buy whatever the hell they want with the money.
It's a monthly allowance from Uncle Sam.

We already feed the kids breakfast, lunch and dinner in school and over the holidays and during the summer so let that SNAP money just be "fun money" to spend however they want. That's $700/month for a family of 4 in Texas.

My son has plenty of friends on food stamps now..it's the norm for college students. And I have half a mind to tell him to get on that bandwagon himself because his friends are all getting $200 month for food while he works extra hours and budgets to shop for his food.
Not trying to jump, just correcting the error.

I don't know if/how they differentiate between people who can use SNAP at fast food, and who can't. Haven't seen any information on that, so far.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So we kill off the elderly, disabled and homeless with obesity, diabetes and heart disease. And save the children with Mrs. Obama's lunch rationing plan. They only care about health of school kids, not the mentally ill I guess. Good plan.

Whatever did the homeless do before Big Macs, nacho cheese fries and 40oz. Cokes were free in these places? What are they doing in states that don't cover fast food? And as for the mentally ill, NO, they don't necessarily know how to eat properly, they will kill themselves with free fast food. This is a great argument for limiting food stamps to nutritious food. And we are the mean ones? No, anyone giving the mentally ill free reign to poison themselves to death while complaining about obesity in children is cold as ice.

We want a free fast food nation for all while whining about diabetes epidemic? Just sick.
They could buy cold deli food with SNAP, but not hot, so some premade meals were already covered. Also, if you go into a convenience store and get a cold sandwich, heat it up in their microwave ... it's not covered under SNAP. If you eat it cold, it's covered. Strange permutations of rules.

What the homeless did before they were told they could get SNAP is beg or steal. Some went to food kitchens and shelters, but some of those will only serve you if they can preach at you, too. And some of them starved. Many are alcoholics and/or mentally ill, and thus ill-prepared to manage the day-to-day of food preparation in their cozy little "camps" that most people dislike, so many towns frequently clear out the "camps".

I'm not a big fan of fast food, personally. It certainly would make things easier for street people, and some elderly/disabled, but I dunno. I sincerely doubt it's going to significantly shorten an 80 year old's life, yanno? And the homeless - mentally ill or not - probably already have a much shorter life span than your average middle class person, due to living in substandard conditions, little to no medical care, little to no mental health care, possible/probably substance abuse, and violence on the streets. And you're worried about a cheeseburger killing them sooner? Ohhh-kay.

Here's the first link I found on a search of "homeless lifespan":

Quote:
Almost 68% of homeless people are between the ages of 40 and 60 years old.
Quote:
The average age, at death, of homeless individuals is 48 years old. On average, the homeless person’s lifespan is 36% shorter than a housed person’s lifespan.
Combine these two facts, and it tells me that life on the street is pretty darned short.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

Yes, in 2011 the USDA ok'd food stamps for fast food restaurants.
This totally defies this healthy movement and the war against obesity with the poor.

While they say one thing in the public light, they are doing quite the opposite when no one is looking.

And you wonder why some have such a mistrust of government....

Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
They could buy cold deli food with SNAP, but not hot, so some premade meals were already covered. Also, if you go into a convenience store and get a cold sandwich, heat it up in their microwave ... it's not covered under SNAP. If you eat it cold, it's covered. Strange permutations of rules.

What the homeless did before they were told they could get SNAP is beg or steal. Some went to food kitchens and shelters, but some of those will only serve you if they can preach at you, too. And some of them starved. Many are alcoholics and/or mentally ill, and thus ill-prepared to manage the day-to-day of food preparation in their cozy little "camps" that most people dislike, so many towns frequently clear out the "camps".

I'm not a big fan of fast food, personally. It certainly would make things easier for street people, and some elderly/disabled, but I dunno. I sincerely doubt it's going to significantly shorten an 80 year old's life, yanno? And the homeless - mentally ill or not - probably already have a much shorter life span than your average middle class person, due to living in substandard conditions, little to no medical care, little to no mental health care, possible/probably substance abuse, and violence on the streets. And you're worried about a cheeseburger killing them sooner? Ohhh-kay.

Here's the first link I found on a search of "homeless lifespan":

Combine these two facts, and it tells me that life on the street is pretty darned short.
And they want to shorten it and make it more miserable by making them diabetic and sick.

No one asked what homeless did before SNAP, but what they did in the states that just got fast food covered and in the ones that don't cover fast food.

Why don't you guys go and live on McDonalds grease and see how you feel after a few weeks. Go watch Supersize Me. The mentally ill will eat whatever tastes best even if it makes them sick, heck, even people with PhDs do that. The propaganda king Michael Moore seems to have such issues but he supposedly isn't mentally ill so let him go for it.

Why do we want to hurt the weak? Would you feed that stuff to your cat or dog? It would be abusive to do so yet human beings are being told to get that stuff because it's easier.??? It is possible that people who are not healthy want others to be unhealthy as well.

I still want to know the immediate specific harm right now that is happening in states that do not cover fast food on food stamps. It harms the big companies who are not cashing in on it, I suppose.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
j

I rarely have anyone question my use of my CC and I have "Check ID" on the back where my signature is.
I've seen a woman use 2 Lone Star cards in front of me at CVS and was not questioned.

Do cashiers question you on your card use..debit, credit or otherwise to validate no fraud ?
That's a joke these days.
Actually they do, probably more than you think. A bunch depends on the business and their policies. I get asked at the movies,subway and a few others.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:

I think TB is more of a danger to homeless people than food stamps being used for fast foods. Think Jacksonville homeless population and TB outbreak. TB can affect YOU if you're in the vicinity of someone with it and they cough. There are many, many issues to take care of regarding the homeless people in our country, food being only one of them. Also, do you think eating FF is worse than eating from garbage cans?

Seriously, think about that TB thing. There is a very bad antibiotic resistant strain of this disease out there. That should be a top priority for the homeless people.

And where was this TB discovered? In a soup kitchen where the poor, homeless, and elderly are supposed to get the "healthy food" you talk about. Someone who was eating there was checked and it turned out that he was very ill with the disease, and apparently others had/have it too. The article is very interesting, you might want to read it.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...-secret/nPpLs/

The CDC officer had a serious warning for Florida health officials in April: A tuberculosis outbreak in Jacksonville was one of the worst his group had investigated in 20 years. Linked to 13 deaths and 99 illnesses, including six children, it would require concerted action to stop. That report had been penned on April 5, exactly nine days after Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed the bill that shrank the Department of Health and required the closure of the A.G. Holley State Hospital in Lantana, where tough tuberculosis cases have been treated for more than 60 years.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 01-02-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, in 2011 the USDA ok'd food stamps for fast food restaurants.
This totally defies this healthy movement and the war against obesity with the poor.

While they say one thing in the public light, they are doing quite the opposite when no one is looking.

And you wonder why some have such a mistrust of government....
WHAT "healthy movement" and "war against obesity with the poor"? Of course you don't have an answer so you will ignore this question. Last time I looked, the poor were not the ONLY obese people in this country.

"War Against Obesity With The Poor"???????? Where did that come from? I seem to have missed that one and exactly who declared such a war for the poor.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
And they want to shorten it and make it more miserable by making them diabetic and sick.

No one asked what homeless did before SNAP, but what they did in the states that just got fast food covered and in the ones that don't cover fast food.

Why don't you guys go and live on McDonalds grease and see how you feel after a few weeks. Go watch Supersize Me. The mentally ill will eat whatever tastes best even if it makes them sick, heck, even people with PhDs do that. The propaganda king Michael Moore seems to have such issues but he supposedly isn't mentally ill so let him go for it.

Why do we want to hurt the weak? Would you feed that stuff to your cat or dog? It would be abusive to do so yet human beings are being told to get that stuff because it's easier.??? It is possible that people who are not healthy want others to be unhealthy as well.

I still want to know the immediate specific harm right now that is happening in states that do not cover fast food on food stamps. It harms the big companies who are not cashing in on it, I suppose.
Actually, I worked at McDonald's for over a year (twenty-plus years ago). I ate their food every single day that I worked, and on some days that I didn't. You know what happened? I lost weight. How, you ask? Well, I didn't do a Spurious Spurlock and fake a documentary. I ate salads, sometimes fries, sometimes a burger. When I worked breakfast, I ate something from that menu. And, most nights, we were allowed to get a courtesy cup of ice cream before we left.

Do you think the homeless have a hard life? Do you think that making it just a bit easier is a bad thing? You seem to be so married to the idea that McD's or whatever is going to be a significant detriment to people whose alternatives really suck, and who already have shortened lifespans due to their living conditions. Do you know for sure that a homeless guy wouldn't get a chili and a baked potato from Wendy's (if they still serve those)? Or a salad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies