Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,269,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post

Believe me, changing the rules and prohibiting food will do nothing to prevent people getting what they want because Mr. Pakistani small corner store owner could care less about the rules.
Yes I have and have seen the abuse. that is why there needs to be stricter enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Then you are discriminating against those who are lactose intolerant. Many children are lactose intolerant and have to drink dairy substitutes (like almond milk or soy milk which are far more expensive to buy). As for juice, it's cheaper to buy a carton of squeezed orange juice than it is to buy the 20-30 oranges that went into making that half-gallon.

At $.80 an orange (baesd on today's prices), that's a lot of oranges you need to get your daily allowance of citrus/vitamin C at nearly 4-6 times the cost of 1/2 gallon of juice.

There are many brands of fresh squeeze orange juice that can be put on an accepted list. Sunny D, not on the list. Florida's Orange - on the list.

Again, limiting it to milk only is discriminatory against those that can't drink it. Tea and Coffee have shown to have beneficial qualities so you can't limit them from the list. Soda can remain off the list, as their is 0 nutritional value.

This I agree with. We go through life everyday with restrictions just fine.
Don't like the restrictions of food stamps? Get off them. It's pretty simple.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
If you want soda, buy it yourself. If you don't need those food stamps to buy nutritious food, then I guess you don't need the stamps that badly.
Right, there is all this hand wringing over obesity levels of the poor. So limit the food choices to nutritious basic lower calorie items, if they want junk they can buy that themselves or be motivated to earn their own money to buy junk food.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
It's time to stop letting people buy soda and other sugary garbage with food stamps, writes Mark Bittman in the New York Times. At the same time, the government can encourage healthier food choices by increasing the value of the stamps when used to buy fruits and veggies.

No More Sodas for Food Stamps - Government is subsidizing obesity: Mark Bittman
Worrying about what the poor do with their miserable pittance while the rich walk off with half the countries wealth

Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,269,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Seriously flawed reasoning. Canned food is more costly than fresh (with I think is garbage, by the way), so therefore it's OK to buy soda and candy?
did i say it was okay? the programs need to be updated, so that it limits the bad food, in favor of fresh

An no, canned food IS CHEAPER than fresh food because of all the "non" fresh items they include.

go ahead, price out what it would cost you to make soup, say chicken noodle soup. then price out what it costs for a can of Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup.

I've already done it before. I can buy the soup for 50 cents a can on sale, and it makes two servings. Two servings of high salt, high fat indulgence.

For two servings of fresh chicken noodle soup, it'll cost me $1-$3 not including time to prepare the food.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,978 times
Default sorry to bust your bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You Cant buy FF with Food Stamps! Never could!

As a matter of fact yes you can at some restaurants. i don't know how they did it but I have seen some places where it said SNAP cards are accepted

Old 12-27-2012, 10:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
did i say it was okay? the programs need to be updated, so that it limits the bad food, in favor of fresh

An no, canned food IS CHEAPER than fresh food because of all the "non" fresh items they include.

go ahead, price out what it would cost you to make soup, say chicken noodle soup. then price out what it costs for a can of Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup.

I've already done it before. I can buy the soup for 50 cents a can on sale, and it makes two servings. Two servings of high salt, high fat indulgence.

For two servings of fresh chicken noodle soup, it'll cost me $1-$3 not including time to prepare the food.
And you can buy 1 whole chicken and make a pot full of soup and have a lot more chicken meat in it.
But it seems people don't know how to boil water anymore and don't want to waste their precious time making soups or stews which last for several days at a fraction of the cost.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
. Peanut butter is a great high protein food as well. Recipes for cooking good healthy meals could be given to recipients. A nice cheese omelet goes a long way. Beans are an excellent food. Many of us grew up on these basics, why isn't it good enough for these government handouts.
Yes and someone unable to support him/herself is not as educated about the best food choices, the government is doing a very poor job feeding these people, allowing them free choice is like sending a 4 or 5 year old into a grocery store and expecting them not to load up with candies and cookies.

And there have been serious suggestions about providing free gyms and exercise programs for the impoverished but now obese government dependents. And if you don't work, there are many fewer calories needed and the government needs to cut back on how much food it provides. WIC is a better (but duplication) program because it limits food choices to real foods.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
I have absolutely no problem restricting foodstamps the way the WIC program is restricted to certain foods.

I think the investment is worth it, if we do care about people getting adequate NUTRITION and not just "food." No soft drinks, no prepared foods... maybe even no cookies and candy.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,085 times
Quote:
Problem is. eating healthier DOES cost more money. If you want families to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, instead of canned food, then the program needs to dole out more money.

Otherwise, they are limited to the crap that is already making our country fat to begin with. Processed foods, junk foods, candy, canned crap,

Otherwise, the government needs to work with farmers to make the fresh fruits and vegetables cheaper than their processed versions.
That's total BS. A six pack of soda is $4 and provides zero nutritional value.

Fresh food and veggies aren't expensive. They do require preparation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies