Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should December 26 (Boxing Day) become a federal holiday in the U.S.?
Yes 22 30.56%
No 50 69.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 PM

168 posts, read 244,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I voted yes since its my birthday. Its also why my friends call me the Anti Christ.
Why?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:49 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
If Canada celebrates it, then I vote no.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I would argue that even Christmas as it is celebrated, is primarily a secular holiday.
True, more of a corporate brainwashing.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I'd rather see Dec. 24 become a federal holiday. I've meet lots of people who start celebrating on Christmas Eve, who could use that time off.

From what I understand, in countries that having Boxing Day, it's just another shopping day. We sure don't need any more of that crap. People already have enough days to waste their money buying useless crap that they don't need.
Christmas Eve, or any day before an actual holiday should not be federal holidays. They should however be treated as a de-facto holiday (office jobs should be closed, and half day for retailers of which it is already)

Yes, Boxing Day may be a shopping day, but non-retailers still have the day off to use it for whatever reason.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Ah! thank you.

Sooooo, what do people do on boxing day?

Punch each other in the face.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
A hundred-mile border zone isn't completely comprehensive, though. As a kid, in the early days of cable TV, we had three channels in addition to the broadcast network affiliates: a local independent station, one out of Portland, and CBC Vancouver. I and all my little friends lived several hundred miles from the BC border, but we absorbed a fair bit of Canadian culture all the same, eh?
So did you learn any French?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If Canada celebrates it, then I vote no.
Canada probably does lots of stuff we consider stupid. I know they have Thanksgiving in like October instead of on its real day in November. They probably drive on the wrong side of the street too like England.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Canada probably does lots of stuff we consider stupid. I know they have Thanksgiving in like October instead of on its real day in November. They probably drive on the wrong side of the street too like England.
Do you know anything about Canada, being our neighbor country to the north, our largest trade partner, longest and most peaceful border in the world, second largest country.... ??

There's no such a thing as "real" date for thanksgiving. They celebrate thanksgiving when we have Columbus Day due to mostly weather reason.

Canada drives on the right just like the USA and continental Europe.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
So did you learn any French?
Quebec is the only province that speak French as sole official language. New Brunswick is bilingual, and the rest are English.

British Columbia speaks English, not French.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
Do you know anything about Canada, being our neighbor country to the north, our largest trade partner, longest and most peaceful border in the world, second largest country.... ??

There's no such a thing as "real" date for thanksgiving. They celebrate thanksgiving when we have Columbus Day due to mostly weather reason.

Canada drives on the right just like the USA and continental Europe.
I know that Canada is a Royal nation under the crown. Why they didn't kick the British out when we did is a mystery to me. I know it is cold as hell there. I have been told that people there speak French and English sort of like people here speak Spanish and English. I have seen where they think 35 degrees in July is hot. That tells you all you need to know about how cold it is there. I am surprised they actually drive on the right side of the street because most crown nations do not. So I guess they are learning. No, I have not been there (yet anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies