Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should December 26 (Boxing Day) become a federal holiday in the U.S.?
Yes 22 30.56%
No 50 69.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 PM

168 posts, read 244,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I know that Canada is a Royal nation under the crown. Why they didn't kick the British out when we did is a mystery to me. I know it is cold as hell there. I have been told that people there speak French and English sort of like people here speak Spanish and English. I have seen where they think 35 degrees in July is hot. That tells you all you need to know about how cold it is there. I am surprised they actually drive on the right side of the street because most crown nations do not. So I guess they are learning. No, I have not been there (yet anyway).
Canada is part of the commonwealth yes, just like Australia and many other nations that were former British colony.

Most of Canada do have cold to very cold winter weather, but parts of southwestern Canada (British Columbia) has mild winters with very little snowfall, and often rain. More than 80% of Canadians live within 100 miles of U.S. border, and southern parts of the nation has warm to hot summers.

English and French are official languages in Canada. In America, only around 10% speak Spanish and no states have Spanish as official language, so it's not the same as the French language in Canada.

Canada, like all other nations in the world uses the metric system, and degrees Celsius. Our nation is behind everyone else unfortunately.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
A hundred-mile border zone isn't completely comprehensive, though. As a kid, in the early days of cable TV, we had three channels in addition to the broadcast network affiliates: a local independent station, one out of Portland, and CBC Vancouver. I and all my little friends lived several hundred miles from the BC border, but we absorbed a fair bit of Canadian culture all the same, eh?
I was in that same situation. I grew up about 50 miles from the Canadian Border. When I was in the 5th and 6th grade we had a basic four channel cable TV service, ABC, CBS, NBC and CBC. All of the educational programs I watched were from the Canadian channel. Pretty much every thing I knew about Canada I leaned from the Canadian version of Sesame Street, and similar programs. I thought I leaned quite a bit about Canada from these programs. But it wasn't until I visited Canada as an adult, that I leaned just how little I knew about Canada. I might was well have grown up next to the Berlin Wall.

I think it's a pretty fair statement to say that most average Americans, know just about zero about Canada. Most Americans probably don't even have one Canadian channel on their cable TV line up. For that matter are any Canadian channels even available on US cables systems these days? I believe most of them got bumped off in the 1980s to free up space for additional American cable TV networks.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
Malls and most retailers are closed for Easter too..
Where? I have never seen any malls close down for Easter.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Where? I have never seen any malls close down for Easter.
All malls are closed on Easter, thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Only in some big cities like New York, malls are open half day on Easter Sunday (some are closed).

Where do you live?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Quebec is the only province that speak French as sole official language. New Brunswick is bilingual, and the rest are English.

British Columbia speaks English, not French.
Canada is officially bilingual, English and French. Even in British Columbia, official stuff is in both languages. Yes, I've been there.

Official bilingualism in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-01-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Canada is officially bilingual, English and French. Even in British Columbia, official stuff is in both languages. Yes, I've been there.

Official bilingualism in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Canada is bilingual at federal level, but not provincial (state).

Road signs in Quebec are French only. Road signs in New Brunswick are bilingual, rest of Canada is English.
Road signs at federal highways are bilingual. Package labels are bilingual.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:14 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
December 26, commonly called for 'Boxing Day', 'St. Stephen's Day', or 'Second day of Christmas' is a national holiday in most of the western world, such as in Europe, Canada, the UK, Australia, etc. but not in the U.S. yet.

Should Dec 26 become a federal holiday?
Of course it should be a holiday. What kind of a moron would vote against another holiday?

Old 01-01-2013, 03:20 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
OP, absolutely not!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
All malls are closed on Easter, thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Only in some big cities like New York, malls are open half day on Easter Sunday (some are closed).

Where do you live?
I've lived in most of the western states. Maybe it's more common then I thought. I've just never noticed malls closing on Easter.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I've lived in most of the western states. Maybe it's more common then I thought. I've just never noticed malls closing on Easter.
No, ALL malls are closed on Easter Sunday. Very few malls, such as those in big cities like New York are open for limited hours only. Easter is not regular day in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies