Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,190,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
RG 3 is different from many if not most African Americans he was raised by his mom and dad who are still married to each other. His character in part is a reflection of that upbringing.
RGIII was also a military brat; he grew up in probably the most colorblind community in America. DoD schools do not have the achievement gap that the rest of America has, nor does it have racially segregated neighborhoods. The dominate culture of his youth was one that values things like honor, excellence, achievement, and a strong work ethic. There is probably no better place to raise a black son in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Exactly.

At the end of the day, Robert Griffin III is a man who goes to work each day and earns a paycheck.

If being gainfully employed = "pushing away from your people" in some ignorant minds, then so be it.

RGIII doesn't care. He just does his job.
Oh Jesus. Calm down.

99% of the guys in the NFL show up and play their asses off. Let's not start the Nobel nomination for RG3 yet, ok?

Geez...an athlete gets attacked a little bit, and the whole world thinks its their duty to deify him. He's a big boy...he can handle an insult or two.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
RGIII was also a military brat; he grew up in probably the most colorblind community in America. DoD schools do not have the achievement gap that the rest of America has, nor does it have racially segregated neighborhoods. The dominate culture of his youth was one that values things like honor, excellence, achievement, and a strong work ethic. There is probably no better place to raise a black son in the world.
He didn't always attend DOD schools. His high school was public open enrollment.

And military brats are some of the biggest knuckleheadeds I've ever met.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,787,403 times
The crazy thing is...I rarely ever think about RG3's race. And I doubt many fans do. Luckily, sports is the one thing we have in this world where the playing field is completely level and people are able to put all differences aside to unite around a single, unitary goal. I think I could probably deal with the Grand Wizard quarterbacking the Eagles right now if it meant a guaranteed Super Bowl victory. Like all sports fans, I just want my team to win (waaaaah!).

Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,619,709 times
parker is a nutbar, best to just ignore him.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM

256 posts, read 207,296 times
Rob Parker is voice of in black community? LOL in his many years as sportswriter and sports talk host in Detroit he was the biggest hack in town.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,440,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He gives them the best chance to win, so you play him. Simple. No one twisted his arm...he BEGGED to play! If it was a regular season game, okay. But this is the playoffs. And if he's gonna risk further injury, it should be for all the marbles. Well, that game qualified as such.

Look...we disagree...that's all there is to it.
It's debatable whether he gave the Skins the best chance to win since re-injuring the knee against Baltimore. Cousins had a game winning drive and threw for 332 yeards against Cleveland. RG3 hasn't been his explosive self since and he has had a hard time planting and making throws.

Either way I hope he can recover before the 1st game of the next season.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,440,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
And, there are plenty of black folks who disagree with him. In fact, I would be willing to bet the majority of black folks hold RG3 in very high regard. I even know diehard black Cowboy fans who are rooting for RG3 to succeed. I get so sick of every time a black sportscaster, news anchor, pundit, or celebrity comment on a subject it somehow becomes the voice of the "black community." It's his opinion, nothing more.
Well evidently he's sourcing it from other Black people. I also witnessed quite a few Black people on twitter agreeing with him. I'm sure you maybe right if a poll was taken most would disagree. Oh well.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,190,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He didn't always attend DOD schools. His high school was public open enrollment.

And military brats are some of the biggest knuckleheadeds I've ever met.
Except overseas and a few select installations, most go to public high school. Most installations have elementary schools and quite a few have K-8 schools. Former military brats as adults seem to be some of the highest caliber people you could meet or absolute jerks. I've met very few that turn out to make middle of the road adults.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Except overseas and a few select installations, most go to public high school. Most installations have elementary schools and quite a few have K-8 schools. Former military brats as adults seem to be some of the highest caliber people you could meet or absolute jerks. I've met very few that turn out to make middle of the road adults.
In my experience, I find military members and their children to be just like everyone else. Decent, but on average, no more so than the population as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies