Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
It's a shame that Republicans belittle adults who work low-wage jobs and then at the same time belittle the unemployed for not going out and getting one of those jobs.
Who says they're being belittled? Stating facts and opinion is not bullying.

I am so sick of folks glorifying lifestyles where adults act like children, complete with low-wage, deadend jobs that go along with it. And at the same time vilify (not just belittle) those job creators that earn a good wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The belittling comes from saying, " 'they' (the pejorative form of they) lack ambition to get more education, training, etc". Some of these folks simply can't do any higher level work. There are few jobs left in this country where a HS drop-out can make $40-50K/yr.
Just want to point out that the average teacher makes $44,000 a year, with an average starting salary of $33,000. Considering many, if not most, of those in the $44,000 a year range have Master's degrees, why on Earth would you expect a high school dropout to make the same or more?

Either we are not paying teachers enough or it is unrealistic to expect a high school dropout to make that much.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You are right, their values are those of entitlement. Someone else has one, we should have one.

People no longer understand that you have to take care of the essentials, before having luxuries.

I remember my first apartment, second hand furniture, eating lots of mac and cheese, rice, and hamburger was a luxury. Lived there for 2 months before we could afford a telephone. We had to remember to turn off lights, we kept it cold in the winter, and warm in the summer, had fans all over, so we could keep our electric bill low.

Our apartment was next to a bus stop, and we took the bus many times to refrain from driving, to save gas. (Of course the bus was 50 cents at the time LOL).

We took care of the important things, before we worried about partying, or anything else that was recreational, or unnecessary.
We're seeing the results of the helicopter parent. These kids have never had to EARN anything. They're just given things for breathing. Then, they enter adulthood and think that's how life is. I am amazed at the young people today that don't get any job until they're out of college. I didn't know one person growing up that didn't have a high school job, then a college (or series of) jobs. Even the so-called "rich kids" had some sort of job. It was believed that it taught a work ethic. Go figure, huh?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The belittling comes from saying, " 'they' (the pejorative form of they) lack ambition to get more education, training, etc". Some of these folks simply can't do any higher level work. There are few jobs left in this country where a HS drop-out can make $40-50K/yr.

NOT IN EVERY CASE! IME, very few people who "don't need the money" work. Very few work for a hobby.
Then don't be a dropout. So YES, they lack ambition. Facts, never a liberal's strong suit, apparently.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
We're seeing the results of the helicopter parent. These kids have never had to EARN anything. They're just given things for breathing. Then, they enter adulthood and think that's how life is. I am amazed at the young people today that don't get any job until they're out of college. I didn't know one person growing up that didn't have a high school job, then a college (or series of) jobs. Even the so-called "rich kids" had some sort of job. It was believed that it taught a work ethic. Go figure, huh?
It's not just the helicopter parent. K-12 is full of "everyone is a winner" mentality.
Grades are manipulated and everyone passes...only in public school can a permission slip signed by a parent earn a 100 in Math.

None of them have to work, really work at education. They are hand held through 12 years and some are promoted based on social policy, not their actual grades.

Between the home life and K-12 these kids enter a world where they think everything should be handed to them. And government is changing to make sure that happens.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I've been saying this for years. The same ones who want to break unions also want to end welfare. I'm not a big welfare guy but let's face it, we are subsidizing many businesses that claim to be "independent".

Either they are hiring illegals and we are paying for their healthcare or they hire the handicapped and get huge federal subsidies or they just pay starvation wages so they have to get help to buy food.

I say set a minimum wage of $20 per hour for full time and $12.00 for part time and provide a healthcare plan for every American. The gravy train should end for these small businesses that cause so much "progress". What a joke.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
If you can't survive on minimum wage, then GET A JOB THAT PAYS MORE THAN MINIMUM WAGE. It was never meant to be a wage to support a family on.
Do you have a cite for that? Just what IS the purpose of a minimum wage? (Supply link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Just want to point out that the average teacher makes $44,000 a year, with an average starting salary of $33,000. Considering many, if not most, of those in the $44,000 a year range have Master's degrees, why on Earth would you expect a high school dropout to make the same or more?

Either we are not paying teachers enough or it is unrealistic to expect a high school dropout to make that much.
The federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr. At 40 hrs/wk, 50 wks/yr, that is $14,500. The average starting salary for a teacher that you quoted is twice that, and is for about 40 wks/yr. Using what passes for logic on this board, a teacher could get a second job in the summer and augment his/her income.

I don't expect a HS dropout to make more than a teacher, but when I was a kid, experienced steelworkers, many of whom did not graduate from HS, did make more than teachers. I'm just saying, those jobs are gone forever.

The average starting salary for an RN in many parts of the country, 50 weeks a year, hellish hospital hours, is in the low $20s/hr.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
If you can't survive on minimum wage, then GET A JOB THAT PAYS MORE THAN MINIMUM WAGE. It was never meant to be a wage to support a family on.
In many cases, it's easier said then done.

But raising the minimum wage is not the answer. Offering government assistance is.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
In many cases, it's easier said then done.

But raising the minimum wage is not the answer. Offering government assistance is.
No, taking my hard earned money to give to those that don't want to make the tough choices is not the answer, either.

And yes, I know. Easier said that done. And that's the crux of the matter, isn't it? It's haaaard. That's why folks choose to stay in their easy minimum wage jobs, and collect that assistance.

The answer is no minimum wage, and a time limit and number-of-children-on-assistance limit on assistance. That'll motivate them to get it done.

We have raised a nation of veal calves......

Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Here's a question I've been asking 100 times on another current thread.

Now, if wages are so low at places like Macdonald's and WallMart that workers there need food stamps, then isn't this one big problem?

why should the taxpayer foot the wage bill?
why should the companies be allowed to pay so low?
what is the purpose of this system?

how about just a decent wage but no food stamps, make coming off welfare pay, surely this is the right solution?
Pay the worker $7.00 an hour and pay $5.00 for that burger and the worker gets food stamps paid for by the tax payer...

Pay the worker $14.00 an hour and pay $10.00 for the same hamburger but no food stamps for the worker.....I don't see the difference...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies