Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times

Advertisements

It was still the police who took him down, off duty or not. Not knowing the officer's whole story, my assumption is that she was trained for the situation that occurred.

A theater full of people carrying guns, most likely not.

One person bent on mass murder/suicide in an enclosed area with no room for escape is frightening enough. A group of untrained, panicking folks with their guns out ready to fire in an enclosed area with no room for escape is just as disconcerting, IMHO.

If you ever think you'll be in a situation where you would have to fire among a group of people, train for it for God's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
It was still the police who took him down, off duty or not. Not knowing the officer's whole story, my assumption is that she was trained for the situation that occurred.

A theater full of people carrying guns, most likely not.

One person bent on mass murder/suicide in an enclosed area with no room for escape is frightening enough. A group of untrained, panicking folks with their guns out ready to fire in an enclosed area with no room for escape is just as disconcerting, IMHO.

If you ever think you'll be in a situation where you would have to fire among a group of people, train for it for God's sake.
What makes you think that CCW permit holders are untrained?

I've never understood how people could be so intentionally ignorant when it comes to CCW. People seem to believe for some unknown reason that a cop is more than just a human being. They're apparently some sort of supermen or something, who are perfect in every way, despite the fact that most of them only fire their weapon a few times a year, for qualification. But the guy that practices every week is a danger to the public?

I emphasized "intentionally" above because there's been enough discussion about this over the past several years to virtually eliminate the possibility that anyone posting about it in this forum isn't aware of the facts. They choose to ignore them. Why? I have no idea, but it's obvious that they do.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Around here cops are never off-duty. They are required to carry their weapons at all times (when in their jurisdiction). Some departments even issue an off-duty weapon...usually a smaller, more concealable version.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:55 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
At UT in 1966 armed citizens with rifles helped minimize the casualties that day. No one was injured by friendly fire.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

I've never understood how people could be so intentionally ignorant when it comes to CCW. People seem to believe for some unknown reason that a cop is more than just a human being. They're apparently some sort of supermen or something, who are perfect in every way, despite the fact that most of them only fire their weapon a few times a year, for qualification. But the guy that practices every week is a danger to the public?

I emphasized "intentionally" above because there's been enough discussion about this over the past several years to virtually eliminate the possibility that anyone posting about it in this forum isn't aware of the facts. They choose to ignore them. Why? I have no idea, but it's obvious that they do.
My guess is that your average cop is more trained in situations involving firing his gun among a crowd of people than your average gun owner. However, I could be showing my ignorance intentionally.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
I thought shootings like this did not happen in Texas because most everyone has a gun and is not afraid to use it.

Why did these people run?
Why did it take an off duty cop to shoot the shooter?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I thought shootings like this did not happen in Texas because most everyone has a gun and is not afraid to use it.

Why did these people run?
Why did it take an off duty cop to shoot the shooter?
Large numbers of people have guns here but not all of them have CHLs. Also, movie theaters are often "gun free zones" which means people aren't supposed to carry in these places.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
At UT in 1966 armed citizens with rifles helped minimize the casualties that day. No one was injured by friendly fire.
No one was injured by friendly fire because they were shooting at a lone gunman 28 floors up in a clock tower. Big difference between that and returning fire in a confined, crowded space like a movie theatre.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Oh pulllleeze! CCW permit holders ON AVERAGE have undergone a level of training anywhere from giving a backhander to their girlfriends father, the local alderman to a four hour session to ascertain they can operate the thing without dropping it on their foot, to perhpas volunteer additional training that will allow them to run through a drill differentiating between the bad guys (always wearing black) and the good guys (always four years old sucking a lollipop or a woman carrying a bag of groceries) to then walk around strapped.

The majority portion of a cops training is spent on avoidance of taking the thing out of their holster for any reason other than a verified safety of themselves or others situation. The training encompasses all manner of examples of what constitutes a deadly threat.

The citizens pay and authorize the training a cop gets but the citizens as a whole have no say in how in-depth the training provided to the AVERAGE CCW carrier is provided nor do they get to vet this person as being perhaps the wrong person to carry a firarm as compared to the hiring process and initial training any cop is likely to undergo before he/she even becomes equipped with a firarm.

Comparing an off-duty cop to any AVERAGE CCW holder is Apples to kumquats!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
No one was injured by friendly fire because they were shooting at a lone gunman 28 floors up in a clock tower. Big difference between that and returning fire in a confined, crowded space like a movie theatre.
Which might be an argument for gunfree zones but not for banning guns. It is hard for me to believe the carnage would be worse, even with one or two friendly fire casualties, in Aurora if a few of the moviegoers had been armed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies