Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I fear a private citizen who wants to kill me in a mass murder more than I fear the people who use the power of government to steal money out of my paycheck.
Then you are simply paranoid. We have over 300 million people in this country, our government controls them all, in dozens of various ways each and every day.

When is the last time some complete stranger, who was a private citizen, controlled you in any way? Did some stranger force you to buy a specific product or service? Did some stranger force you to give them some of your private information? Did they dictate some actions for you to perform? Government does this to us every day, sometimes multiple times a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Googleblock;

... the deflection of big brother criticism to government when it is really Google that is watching.
You are free to never use Google, and yet, as silly as it sounds, we cannot even flush a toilet that government does not control the volume of water that passes thru it.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
You are free to never use Google, and yet, as silly as it sounds, we cannot even flush a toilet that government does not control the volume of water that passes thru it.
"You are free to never use" a toilet;

nevertheless, Google is still watching...

Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Then you are simply paranoid. We have over 300 million people in this country, our government controls them all, in dozens of various ways each and every day.

When is the last time some complete stranger, who was a private citizen, controlled you in any way? Did some stranger force you to buy a specific product or service? Did some stranger force you to give them some of your private information? Did they dictate some actions for you to perform? Government does this to us every day, sometimes multiple times a day.
Maybe you can explain to me how the government is controlling you.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:06 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Stone was 100% correct. But, hey, there's always hope for a zombie apocalypse....

Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
Quote:
Reminds me of a King Of The Hill episode where Hank installs a low-flow toilet and has to deal with this same issue. Saw this a long time ago and couldn't find a YouTube video. If I remember correctly he tries to get around the ordinance but I won't give spoilers.

Quote:
During a drought, Hank installs low-flow toilets in his house. But he soon finds that they require so many flushes that they actually waste more water than the old toilets. Hank joins the Arlen zoning board in an attempt to get high-flow toilets legalized again.
King of The Hill - Season 4, Episode 22: Flush with Power - TV.com

Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Reminds me of a King Of The Hill episode where Hank installs a low-flow toilet and has to deal with this same issue. Saw this a long time ago and couldn't find a YouTube video. If I remember correctly he tries to get around the ordinance but I won't give spoilers.

King of The Hill - Season 4, Episode 22: Flush with Power - TV.com
They have low flow toilets at my work, and most times they require two flushes, there always seems to be that one piece of tissue that refuses to flush.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Maybe you can explain to me how the government is controlling you.
For starters, we cannot buy a Ford or Chevy car that does not meet strict federal regulations, the same for every product we buy. Government controls the choices available to us in the products we buy. You are free to buy whatever car, toilet, toaster oven or washing machine you want, as long as it meets with federal government approval first. BTW, we will soon all be required to purchase a pre-approved federal health insurance policy or suffer fines, punishment, or both.

Right now, this very moment, some part of the federal government is tracking something you are doing, whether it's the phone calls you make, the emails you send, the bank loan you take or deposit you make, the salary you earn, and maybe even the products and services you charge on your credit card. Soon enough the government will track every doctor's visit or prescription you are given.

The question is, what can you do that the government does not either control, monitor or regulate?

Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM

382 posts, read 721,873 times
I'd argue that we live in a more "Huxleyan" state a la Brave New World. There is an enormous amount of top-down control here, but it rarely follows the boot-to-the-face model of Orwell. People balk at stupid bureaucratic rules and such, but for the most part, few here are inclined to "take to the streets". And when they do (file under: Occupy) they don't have any well-defined program, or even a clearly identified enemy; just a litany of vague complaints, some valid, some absurd.

There also seem to be many folks, especially young people, who are indifferent to the idea that someone might be trying to control them, for example, in tracking their online habits in order to market to them. In fact, many welcome the idea. Privacy is not an issue for them, as long as fame and a fast internet connection are guaranteed. Monolithic corporations work in tandem with the government on a carrot and stick model. Buy the latest gadgets, get worked up about the latest newsworthy fad or hysteria, spend your life toiling during the week and then escaping in an frenzy of sports/shopping/booze to make it seem worthwhile: that's how "they" get you.

However, there's a lot less hassle here if you actively try to stay on the periphery of the grid. If you don't depend on the government, the media, and mass marketing to decide what's important in your life, you can find some freedom here. "These are not the demographic you're seeking."

Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
They have low flow toilets at my work, and most times they require two flushes, there always seems to be that one piece of tissue that refuses to flush.
Maybe they're just low quality toilets? The previous owner of my house had installed low flow units that work quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies