Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 11:11 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,439,176 times

Advertisements

This is highly uncalled for and it will put many people in danger but the New York newspaper is anti-gun so it won't matter to them. They have already stirred up controversy already when they published registered gun owners in several counties last week and received harsh criticism. Have they taken account that once they publish the names of registered gun owners in all of New York state that they will let burglars, rapists and murderers know the addresses of non gun owners? Sure they have. Do they care? Absolutely not. Publishing the names and addresses of gun owners is the equivalent of what they do to Sex Offenders. This is wrong and this will severely backfire on them.

NY Paper to Publish Additional Gun Owners' Names, Addresses

the paper has announced it will next publish the names and addresses of permit-holders in Putnam County with an eye toward eventually politicizing the names and addresses of every gun owner in the state.

New York State Senator Greg Ball slammed the Journal News, saying that the paper is treating law-abiding citizens like "sex offenders."

“The asinine editors at The Journal News, have once again gone out of their way to place a virtual scarlet letter on law abiding firearm owners throughout the region. The immediate elimination of the information posted on the Journal News Website is the only way we can ensure the safety and liberty of these New Yorkers,” said Mr. Ball in a statement. “This is clearly a violation of privacy, and needs to be corrected immediately. The same elitist egg heads who use their editorial page to coddle terrorists and criminals are now treating law abiding citizens like level three sexual predators.”

Others have said that the paper has put the lives of the state's gun owners in danger by giving criminals a virtual map to their homes.

[Read more in the link what a paper tried to do in Illinois by getting the state police to turn over registered gun owners.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 11:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
It isn't like you can already get this information, they are just doing something you and I can already do at home. You guys think you live in secrecy because of your 2nd Amendment? The government knows who owns guns even without making you gun owners get a license to own a gun.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,439,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It isn't like you can already get this information, they are just doing something you and I can already do at home. You guys think you live in secrecy because of your 2nd Amendment? The government knows who owns guns even without making you gun owners get a license to own a gun.
So do you agree with the New York papers intent?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
So do you agree with the New York papers intent?
I don't care one way or another. What they are publishing isn't something that is illegal.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 PM

571 posts, read 791,322 times
Who cares? Aren't gun permits public record?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:34 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,098,392 times
The problem is the unconstitutional "permit" to exercise an inalienable right...

The paper and the gov are both violating the law...

NY sucks...

Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
So I buy a gun my name goes in the Papers EVEN IF the gun is later sold or gifted or stolen... GEE how nice to put me in more danger! Why is it anyones Business!

Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
So I buy a gun my name goes in the Papers EVEN IF the gun is later sold or gifted or stolen... GEE how nice to put me in more danger! Why is it anyones Business!
It's called public records. If the gun is sold, gifted, or stolen, you should report that so that the change is properly made to show you are no longer in possession of the gun.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:38 PM

571 posts, read 791,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
The problem is the unconstitutional "permit" to exercise an inalienable right...

The paper and the gov are both violating the law...

NY sucks...
Oh, so you think everyone should have access to a gun? Felons too? The mentally unstable?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
Oh, so you think everyone should have access to a gun? Felons too? The mentally unstable?
Don't forget kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies