Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The past year was a milestone for gay rights. Some see it as a turning point for the LGBT community.

In 2012:

• More than a full year passed since the military policy of Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) was abolished and gay servicemen and women could serve in the armed forces, with no negative consequences;
  • The first openly gay person was elected to the US Senate;
  • The US House of Representatives will have more LGBT members than ever;
  • President Obama became the first US president to openly endorse Marriage Equality;
  • The first openly Lesbian army colonel was promoted to the rank of general;
  • Major US corporations supported gay rights and legalized same-sex marriage financially, including General Mills, Starbucks, Microsoft, etc.
  • J.C. Penney hired Ellen DeGeneres to be their spokesperson and stood by her when conservative groups threatened a boycott;
  • Houston, Texas, fourth largest city in the US re-elected it's openly gay mayor;
  • The first same-sex marriage took place at the chapel of the US Military Academy at West Point;
  • The majority of voters passed Marriage Equality in three states: Maine, Washington, and Maryland, and also rejected an anti-same-sex marriage amendment in Minnesota;
  • The Federal Courts consistently sided with advocates of Marriage Equality is ruling against California's "Prop 8" and the "Defense Of Marriage Act" (DOMA), and the US Supreme Court will make rulings on these cases ...
Have I forgotten anything?
Weird, I still haven't witnessed any apocalyptic nightmares. I thought the world was supposed to end if we started giving gay people rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Banner year maybe. It will be more of a banner when I don't have to hear about it anymore because nobody cares.
Maybe you don't care. Many of us do care.

You will continue to hear about it because there are still so many battles to be fought: in the US Supreme Court over DOMA and Prop 8; marriage equality in states like Illinois, Rhode Island, Delaware, Hawai'i, Minnesota; the Boy Scouts; etc.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Weird, I still haven't witnessed any apocalyptic nightmares. I thought the world was supposed to end if we started giving gay people rights?
It's coming man.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 AM

1,438 posts, read 779,459 times
Sadly my home state of North Carolina was the one black spot of 2012

Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Maybe you don't care. Many of us do care.

You will continue to hear about it because there are still so many battles to be fought: in the US Supreme Court over DOMA and Prop 8; marriage equality in states like Illinois, Rhode Island, Delaware, Hawai'i, Minnesota; the Boy Scouts; etc.
No. You see, everything does not have to be a "battle" except for people who live to be activists and don't feel alive unless they are upset. Once states accept gay marriage it's pretty much over except for things that effect the general population. Even the Scouts are reconsidering and it's not just gays who have problems with them is it? Everyone will have problems with someone, it's human nature and won't be fixed with legislation. At some point it's going to be just a matter who people not liking or getting along with other people. GLBT will not be an "issue" and it won't be/shouldn't be news anymore. Some people are actually kind of upset about that. Many groups like staying in the limelight to draw attention to themselves, but there comes a point when it's no longer worth public attention since eveyone else in the world is basically dealing with the same or worse. That day is coming and I'll be happy to never see a pink triangle again or pride parade again. So will most people except those who like attenton. Don't take it the wrong way, overload is the downside to awareness, people become victims of their own successes.

Take Susan Korman and the whole "pink" thing. Everyone I know is annoyed with that.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Obama was voted in for a second term. To them, he is the harbinger of doom.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Your funny........guess your as naive as your post. Gays are in the Tea Party they just choose to keep politics about politics, not asking the government to fight their fight.

Like Lesbians needing birth control.......Sandra Fluke the face of birth control.
Ah yea, the "Log Cabin Republicans" .. for whom having tax cuts is much more important than being recognized as equal citizens, not being threatened to be driven out of their state and not being hated upon. In every group there are always a few for whom money and tax cuts are of the utmost importance.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:38 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Yes you did.

It was a milestone for America!
yes.
religious people being sued by gay terrorists.
Lesbians Launch Discrimination Complaint Against NY Farm Owners for Refusing to Host Their Gay Wedding | Video | TheBlaze.com

gays are the biggest threat to this country

Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,365 times
Quote:
The past year was a milestone for gay rights. Some see it as a turning point for the LGBT community.

In 2012:

• More than a full year passed since the military policy of Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) was abolished and gay servicemen and women could serve in the armed forces, with no negative consequences;
  • The first openly gay person was elected to the US Senate;
  • The US House of Representatives will have more LGBT members than ever;
  • President Obama became the first US president to openly endorse Marriage Equality;
  • The first openly Lesbian army colonel was promoted to the rank of general;
  • Major US corporations supported gay rights and legalized same-sex marriage financially, including General Mills, Starbucks, Microsoft, etc.
  • J.C. Penney hired Ellen DeGeneres to be their spokesperson and stood by her when conservative groups threatened a boycott;
  • Houston, Texas, fourth largest city in the US re-elected it's openly gay mayor;
  • The first same-sex marriage took place at the chapel of the US Military Academy at West Point;
  • The majority of voters passed Marriage Equality in three states: Maine, Washington, and Maryland, and also rejected an anti-same-sex marriage amendment in Minnesota;
  • The Federal Courts consistently sided with advocates of Marriage Equality is ruling against California's "Prop 8" and the "Defense Of Marriage Act" (DOMA), and the US Supreme Court will make rulings on these cases ...
Have I forgotten anything?
Speed on brothers and sisters, hell ain't half full!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
I don't know that they are the biggest threat, or even much of a threat at all. I am concerned that their chosen or born into (whichever you subscribe to) lifestyle is being forced upon all of society as normal. I am concerned that they force this lifestyle as normal upon impressionable children in the publik (misspelled on purpose) schools. I am concerned that their immorality (via a public Drag Queen show, etc.) can be subsidized with tax dollars yet something actually moral and wholesome like a cross or a nativity scene cannot.

I am concerned that anything considered wholesome and moral is to be removed from the public arena and replaced with any manner of societal moral decay.

The NEW Commandments will be...
1. Thou shalt not command ANYTHING of me because I don't like being judged.
2. Thou shalt accept ANYTHING I want to do because, well... because "I" want to do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies