Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,217,312 times

Advertisements

Give not that which is Holy unto dogs.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Give not that which is Holy unto dogs.
All hail the flying spaghetti monster, and the meatballs he brings unto swamps of tomato sauce.

Since we're throwing around nonsensical babble, figured I'd give the FSM a shout-out too!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:29 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,568,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
The past 10 years or so, the american media has given way too much attention and controversy to homosexuality (gay marriage, gay bullying, gay teens committing suicide, gay celebrities, etc). Why?

Before we had the DADT policy in the military. Gays could serve, just not openly. I didn't see anything wrong with that. They could still serve.

Then Pres. Obama and Joe Biden publicly supported gay marriage. Why? There are more important issues for them to be concerned about. Such as the economy, the war in Afghanistan, the Fiscal Cliff, reducing the deficit, etc. It wasn't vital that they discuss gay marriage.

Because it got him votes. I follow my neice and her friends on facebook and over and over I saw posts about supporting obama because he's for gay rights. Over and over I asked the question ...BUT is he the best person to run the country?...That question never got answered because they were focused on gay rights (or abortion rights, either one seemed to be a vote getter). I can't tell you how many dems I met who were voting some small issue that the president doesn't even control rather than for the best person to run our country. They're oblivious to the skill set actually needed to run the country. All they see is their pet issue.

We have a crop of voters who cannot see the forest if you can get them to focus on ONE tree as the all imporatant tree and they'll ignore anything else. You could vote an idiot into office if he was pro abortion, pro gay marriage, the right race (anything but white) and pro hand outs....Oh wait, we already did.

The average voter is so ill educated these days that all you have to do is have the right set of pet issues and they won't even ask if you're the best person for the job. You've got it. They don't look past their noses. And they vote....AND they outnumber people who actually think and understand that when you cast that vote you didn't cast a vote for abortion or gay marriage but for the person who will run our country. I don't care where my president stands on gay rights or abortion because he doesn't control those issues. The courts do!!! I care that he's the best person, among those available at the time, to do the job. The job is NOT gay rights or abortion. It is running the country.

People voted for obummer because he's black, becaue he's pro gay marriage, because he's pro abortion, because he promised to stick it to the rich (why are the rich hated in our society anyway??), because he said the republicans were going to take away women's rights, etc, etc, etc.... NOT because he was the best man for the job by any stretch of imagination. This is the way the majority votes these days and it is scary. It's no longer an issue of ability. You just need the right trees at the edge of your forest and they won't look past them.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because it got him votes. I follow my neice and her friends on facebook and over and over I saw posts about supporting obama because he's for gay rights. Over and over I asked the question ...BUT is he the best person to run the country?...That question never got answered because they were focused on gay rights (or abortion rights, either one seemed to be a vote getter). I can't tell you how many dems I met who were voting some small issue that the president doesn't even control rather than for the best person to run our country. They're oblivious to the skill set actually needed to run the country. All they see is their pet issue.

We have a crop of voters who cannot see the forest if you can get them to focus on ONE tree as the all imporatant tree and they'll ignore anything else. You could vote an idiot into office if he was pro abortion, pro gay marriage and pro hand outs....Oh wait, we already did.

The average voter is so ill educated these days that all you have to do is have the right set of pet issues and they won't even ask if you're the best person for the job. You've got it. They don't look past their noses. And they vote....AND they outnumber people who actually think and understand that when you cast that vote you didn't cast a vote for abortion or gay marriage but for the person who will run our country. I don't care where my president stands on gay rights or abortion because he doesn't control those issues. The courts do!!! I care that he's the best person, among those available at the time, to do the job. The job is NOT gay rights or abortion. It is running the country.

People voted for obummer because he's black, becaue he's pro gay marriage, because he's pro abortion, because he promised to stick it to the rich (why are the rich hated in our society anyway??), because he said the republicans were going to take away women's rights, etc, etc, etc.... NOT because he was the best man for the job by any stretch of imagination. This is the way the majority votes these days and it is scary. It's no longer an issue of ability. You just need the right trees at the edge of your forest and they won't look past them.
Are you basing all (or even some) of this on your niece & her little facebook friends? I sure hope not! I'd wager just as many Romney voters voted on one or two issues, and conversely, a somewhat equal number of Obama voters considered all of the major issues. I sure didn't vote on gay marriage or abortion alone, and I'm not even a Democrat - just a left-leaning Libertarian, so how do you explain my vote for Obama?

Just because people disagreed with your choices, that doesn't make them "wrong" or even single-issue voters. Do you really think the ~50% of this nation that always votes Dem would have voted for Romney if he'd supported gay marriage? I sure wouldn't have, since his failings went WAY beyond that one minor topic IMO. You're right about one thing, though... the POTUS office is no longer an issue of ability, and that goes for both Republicans and Democrats alike. Obama isn't perfect, but Romney sure as heck wasn't our "savior" either.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 AM

P.S. I don't hate the rich, in fact any & all tax increases will probably affect me more than most in the long run... but sometimes they're necessary, and I for one don't mind helping a bit more.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,428,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It's not God's fault. You had it right blaming your parents if that's how they raised you.

Some people like this poster are just walking, talking proof that God makes mistakes!

Is there a return bin?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,516,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
All hail the flying spaghetti monster, and the meatballs he brings unto swamps of tomato sauce.

Since we're throwing around nonsensical babble, figured I'd give the FSM a shout-out too!
Ramen.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Quote:
Gizmo, it figures you're so pro-gay being from the san francisco gay area and all. I guess the city has had a big influence on you.

I'm pro-gay and I grew up in a small town in MI. Does that "figure", too?

Equality is equality. Anyone who is intellectually honest will recognize the inequality when it comes to homosexuals and marriage laws. You may justify it with scripture if you like, but that only excuses the inequality, it doesn't negate it.

Then add in the fact that our laws are supposed to be secular in nature....

Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,851,891 times
Quote:
The past 10 years or so, the american media has given way too much attention and controversy to homosexuality (gay marriage, gay bullying, gay teens committing suicide, gay celebrities, etc). Why?

Before we had the DADT policy in the military. Gays could serve, just not openly. I didn't see anything wrong with that. They could still serve.

Then Pres. Obama and Joe Biden publicly supported gay marriage. Why? There are more important issues for them to be concerned about. Such as the economy, the war in Afghanistan, the Fiscal Cliff, reducing the deficit, etc. It wasn't vital that they discuss gay marriage.

The past few years, gay marriage has become legal a few states at a time. Why? It's not important. Gays can be in relationships freely already. Nobody's stopping them from dating each other. Marriage of opposite genders serves a purpose and makes sense. Gays can't reproduce and have kids. Plus it's important for children to grow up with a mother (woman) and a father (man). Adopted and foster kids growing up with 2 fathers or 2 mothers doesn't make sense and is a little unnatural. The only reason gays want gay marriage is because they figure if they can get everyone to accept gay marriage, then they can get everyone to accept gays whole-heartedly. That's really what this whole gay marriage thing is about. They're just trying to force-feed acceptance of gays on everyone.

In the past comedians and ordinary folks could make gay jokes and it was all good (after all gay jokes are funny). Now you do it, and ppl are so outraged and demand an apology. People make it sound like homophobia is racism. It's not. When I was growing up, it was ok to be homophobic. It was ok to be uncomfortable around gays. After all, most ppl (straight ppl) don't want someone of the same sex hitting on them.

I've heard ppl say the "gay rights movement" is the civil rights movement of our time. Nothing could be further from the truth. I haven't heard or seen anything about gays being sprayed with firehoses, attacked by police dogs, beaten and killed by police, or being completely segregated from straight ppl in public or private life. The fact the ppl try to relate the struggle of gays today to the struggle of blacks in the 60's is laughable.

And ppl make it sound like if you're against gay that you become gay. No you can be a straight person who's confident in your sexuality and just not agree with homosexuality. In fact I respect gays as equal human beings who are free to do what they like. I just think all the gay controversy/sensitivity is a bit ridiculous.

Most ppl like the world straight. What bought on all this gay controversy and sensitivity?
Since the late 1990s, homosexuality has increasingly become more acceptable in society, especially among young gen y'ers such as myself. What you see in the media is a clash between us and the older traditionalists.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,065,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

We have a crop of voters who cannot see the forest if you can get them to focus on ONE tree as the all imporatant tree and they'll ignore anything else. You could vote an idiot into office if he was pro abortion, pro gay marriage, the right race (anything but white) and pro hand outs....Oh wait, we already did.

Not all Republicans are anti gay marriage or anti abortion.

Tell me, do you think Republicans would nominate such a person to run for President if he was the best man for the job?

Pot meet kettle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies