Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,845,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
Marriage of opposite genders serves a purpose and makes sense.
The purpose of procreating? There are more than enough straight people to keep the human race going.

Quote:
Gays can't reproduce and have kids.
The human race is not going to vanish because those who are gay choose to marry. It won't stop straight people from getting married and having kids.

There are enough over-reproducers, single mothers, and people having litters of kids for religious reasons to more than compensate for the gay couple who don't make children. And think of it this way. Many gay couple give loving homes to children of straight people who won't/can't take care of their own.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,042,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because it got him votes. I follow my neice and her friends on facebook and over and over I saw posts about supporting obama because he's for gay rights. Over and over I asked the question ...BUT is he the best person to run the country?...That question never got answered because they were focused on gay rights (or abortion rights, either one seemed to be a vote getter). I can't tell you how many dems I met who were voting some small issue that the president doesn't even control rather than for the best person to run our country. They're oblivious to the skill set actually needed to run the country. All they see is their pet issue.

We have a crop of voters who cannot see the forest if you can get them to focus on ONE tree as the all imporatant tree and they'll ignore anything else. You could vote an idiot into office if he was pro abortion, pro gay marriage, the right race (anything but white) and pro hand outs....Oh wait, we already did.

The average voter is so ill educated these days that all you have to do is have the right set of pet issues and they won't even ask if you're the best person for the job. You've got it. They don't look past their noses. And they vote....AND they outnumber people who actually think and understand that when you cast that vote you didn't cast a vote for abortion or gay marriage but for the person who will run our country. I don't care where my president stands on gay rights or abortion because he doesn't control those issues. The courts do!!! I care that he's the best person, among those available at the time, to do the job. The job is NOT gay rights or abortion. It is running the country.

People voted for obummer because he's black, becaue he's pro gay marriage, because he's pro abortion, because he promised to stick it to the rich (why are the rich hated in our society anyway??), because he said the republicans were going to take away women's rights, etc, etc, etc.... NOT because he was the best man for the job by any stretch of imagination. This is the way the majority votes these days and it is scary. It's no longer an issue of ability. You just need the right trees at the edge of your forest and they won't look past them.
I am a registered Independent. Early on I was leaning toward Romney....but the platform at the Republican convention turned me off completely as it was a bit too far right of my views socially. I believe in the womans right to choose and in favor of gay marriage. And those two issues are strong enough to sway my vote in times when I think both candidates are equal on the other issues. I dont think either one could do any more with the economy and log jam in the congress so that wasnt as big of an issue. But that is my opinion and you differ, which is fine.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 AM

47,087 posts, read 26,214,242 times
Quote:
In fact I respect gays as equal human beings who are free to do what they like.
Unless they would like to serve their country on an even footing, marry their loved one or protest against being source material for your oh-so-witty repertoire of gay jokes, it appears.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,499,197 times
Quote:
Most ppl like the world straight. What bought on all this gay controversy and sensitivity?
People being fed up with attitudes like yours.

... and am I the only one who is amused by the OP, which basically boils down to, "I wish you'd all shut up about the gays"?

If you really don't want to hear or talk about homosexuality, why did you bring it up?

Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM

230 posts, read 527,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yep, and thank god for that!! I'd hate to be a backwoods bigot. For the record, I'm originally from the northeast... and I have my parents to thank for raising me open-minded & tolerant, not my city.

P.S. The year 1990 called, and wants their overused catchphrase (SF gay area) back. Is that all you've got to "counter" my post?
I could counter your post, I'm just not gonna invest that much time and energy into it, because everything you said were opinions just because you're pro-gay, not facts.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:38 AM

And for the record, ppl were still calling it the san francisco gay area well into the 2000's.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,821,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
In the twisted logic world of yours possibly. You refuse to admit that what you promote is wrong and immoral. So be it. There will be a day of reckoning. God help you.
And according to Jesus, you won't be too happy on that day.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,651,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Are you basing all (or even some) of this on your niece & her little facebook friends? I sure hope not! I'd wager just as many Romney voters voted on one or two issues, and conversely, a somewhat equal number of Obama voters considered all of the major issues. I sure didn't vote on gay marriage or abortion alone, and I'm not even a Democrat - just a left-leaning Libertarian, so how do you explain my vote for Obama?

Just because people disagreed with your choices, that doesn't make them "wrong" or even single-issue voters. Do you really think the ~50% of this nation that always votes Dem would have voted for Romney if he'd supported gay marriage? I sure wouldn't have, since his failings went WAY beyond that one minor topic IMO. You're right about one thing, though... the POTUS office is no longer an issue of ability, and that goes for both Republicans and Democrats alike. Obama isn't perfect, but Romney sure as heck wasn't our "savior" either.
Not at all. I just found following the youth on facebook enlightening. I saw the same thing elsewhere. Go back through the archives here. There's a lot of here's my tree and this guy likes my tree so I'll vote for him and forget there even is a forest.

As a teacher, I get insight into what my students hear at home. They are quite vocal about what their parents say. I heard a lot of "my parents are voting for obama because he's pro abortion, or he's pro gay rights". What is really eye opening is what was missing from the discussions on facebook and here and what I heard from my students. I never heard any of them give reason they thought obama was the best candidate to lead this country. One would get the impression that obama was running to decide gay rights and abortion only and not running the country at all.

Look at the posts here. There's a lot of na-na we won but if you ask (and I have) WHAT they won, they can't tell you. Ask why obummer is the best man to run this country and see what kind of reponses you get. They'll center around gay rights, abortion and entitlements NOT his qualifications for the job of running this country.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,821,104 times
Quote:
Gizmo, it figures you're so pro-gay being from the san francisco gay area and all. I guess the city has had a big influence on you.
Nah, I think it's more so Gizmo is just a decent human being with compassion for others who are different. Wish I could say the same for bigots on this thread, but clearly that's not possible.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Except when they want to get married, or do get married, or raise a child with their partner, or advocate and get in the media, or admit they're gay in the military, or hit on you or other straights, or complain about being ridiculed; other than that, you think they're fine! They should enjoy the feedom you benevolently agree they can have, correct?
See that? You make it sound like they should be able to hit on straights. You make it sound like it's not understandable for ppl to be uncomfortable to be hit on by the same sex. That's disgusting. Gays should only hit on each other as straights do. Doesn't that make sense?? Huh??

The ridiculing thing I can understand, because bullying of anyone is wrong. But you have to admit gay jokes are funny (like in stand up comedy or when straight men are joking with each other).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies