Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Who among all you experts have ever used an fully automatic weapon?
I own 1, I've only owned it for 2 years and I'm considering getting rid of it because of the outrageous cost of ownership and dealing with the NFA BS it takes to keep it legal. I carried one quite often in the military, fired it quite a bit as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,037 times
Quote:
Right here

I also own 2 suppressors

Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Huh? Full Auto's are legal in a majority of states, but the feds make it prohibitively expensive to own one, not too mention the ridiculous amount of hurdles you have to jump through to purchase one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I own 1, I've only owned it for 2 years and I'm considering getting rid of it because of the outrageous cost of ownership and dealing with the NFA BS it takes to keep it legal. I carried one quite often in the military, fired it quite a bit as well.
I know they're technically legal but regulations have made them realistically illegal and/or unobtainable for most people. In my opinion the regulations are so ridiculous that they're banned from public ownership.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Do you have any idea how difficult and expensive it is to legally own automatic firearms in the United States? Because contrary to popular belief, it is indeed legal to own machine guns, short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns, suppressors, and "destructive devices" (things that go boom, munitions that go boom, automatic shotguns, etc.

Under the National Firearms Act of 1934, for one to possess any of the aforementioned things, the item must be registered, the owner must (typically) have chief law enforcement officer's permission (chief of police, county sheriff, state police chief, state attorney general), fingerprints, photos, a full background check by the ATF (which takes 6+ months these days), pay $200 for a special tax stamp that needs to be in the vicinity of the item at all times, and that doesn't even guarantee ATF approval for you to own the device (they can turn you down even after you've already paid for the item, gotten approval from a chief law enforcement officer, been fingerprinted, photographed, sent the government a check, and waited 6+ months). These items generally cost anywhere from $1500 for a suppressor to well over $50,000 for machine guns.

If you have any more questions about this, feel free to ask... I will respond.

Go back to playing Call of Duty.
I'm glad it has a lengthy process to own these weapons, although I still don't want them in the hands of citizens. But from what I saw in the video, the people seemed like they were just having fun with them, not trying to harm anyone. I'm willing to compromise, these guys can keep their weapons solely because they aren't easily transportable so I doubt anyone would go on a rampage with them but you can't keep a AR-15, AK-47, etc because its easily transportable.

Trust me, I can understand the gun owners argument, its sort of the equivalent of us liberals Marijuana argument. Marijuana doesn't kill you, its from the earth, legalize it because it doesn't hurt, there fun ,blah blah blah, just as gun owners may say Guns don't kill you, its a right protected by the law of the land, take them from the bad guys, there fun, blah blah blah. So I understand and that's why I'm willing to compromise, not everyone who owns a gun is planning on going on a rampage. I just want to impose some limits on the fun, just as I would with marijuana. I don't want you or even myself having a AK, just as you may not want me smoking marijuana in public areas. So how can we compromise? You can own a gatling gun, and I can smoke at home in my own privacy. Compromise.

And yeah, I think I'll go back to Call of Duty when I actually feel good again.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
I know they're technically legal but regulations have made them realistically illegal and/or unobtainable for most people. In my opinion the regulations are so ridiculous that they're banned from public ownership.
Banned yet you own one? Orwellian speak.

Quote:

Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default M-2 forever

A long time ago in a place far, far away the government paid me to use fully automatic weapons. As some say happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
I have Greg, we were riding through the woods one day on our ATV's and came upon two guys shooting a 30 caliber machine gun mounted on pipe with a platform. We of course had to stop and watch the action...

The one guy asked if anyone wanted to shoot it, what kind of stupid question is that? LOL

They also had two fully auto M-16's set up with just .22's.

One of my neighbors has something automatic, I can here them shoot it every so often. Gun shots in this area are fairly common.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Right here

I also own 2 suppressors
Through a trust or just individual ownership?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
In my salad days, I certainly considered them good fun - of course, it was Her Danish Majesty's Army who paid for the ammo. Not a cost-effective way to pass the time otherwise, at least IMO.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 01-03-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Banned yet you own one? Orwellian speak.
Ask anyone who's tried to purchase one and they'll explain to you that they're basically banned given the number of hurdles the average person has to get through to own one legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies