Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times

Advertisements

As someone who has worked in the health field for many years, I oppose mandatory flu vaccinations. The flu vaccine is not particularly effective, and unlike other vaccines, you have to get a new one every year. All vaccines have potential side effects each time you get it. So, with the flu vaccine, not only is it not very effective but you have to roll that adverse reaction die every year, which increases the likelihood of an adverse reaction over a lifetime. If you are someone who is prone to the flu, then it may be beneficial. It may also be beneficial if you work with an immuno-suppressed population. But overall, I don't think mandatory vaccination of every health care worker is good policy, and it intrudes on the rights of the workers. There is really no reason to get a flu vaccine outside of personal immunity or in very specific circumstances (such as working with an isolated group of people who are immunocomprimised). Contrary to popular belief and unlike many other vaccines, the influenza vaccine does not provide herd immunity in most cases. It can also make a person quite ill, even if they do not have an "adverse" reaction. I developed a fever after receiving the flu vaccine and missed a day of work. Health care workers should have the ability to choose how to manage their own health needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Your medical license is hereby revoked. Please leave your diploma at the front desk. We'll shred it for you, free of charge.
It's amazing how many vaccine pushes refuse to acknowledge the link between lack of vitamin D and influenza.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That doesn't contradict what I said. Yes, some live longer without a host but most don't.

I haven't.

Just like viruses can only reproduce in a host, they can only mutate in a host.
Yes it does. You said they don't live long without a host. Do you know how many people come through a hospital and touch, oh, say the elevator buttons, surfaces in bathrooms, tables in patients rooms, etc, etc, etc... in 48 hours?

You are NOT reducing exposure of the patients by immunizing the hospital workers. Not even close. What they're doing it making sure they don't have an epidemic that results in them not being able to cover shifts at the hospital. And you're not reducing mutations of the virus either as there are plenty of hosts out there who are not hospital workers walking through the hospital every single day.

You fool easily.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It's amazing how many vaccine pushes refuse to acknowledge the link between lack of vitamin D and influenza.
Does vitamin D milk help?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
As someone who has worked in the health field for many years, I oppose mandatory flu vaccinations. The flu vaccine is not particularly effective, and unlike other vaccines, you have to get a new one every year. All vaccines have potential side effects each time you get it. So, with the flu vaccine, not only is it not very effective but you have to roll that adverse reaction die every year, which increases the likelihood of an adverse reaction over a lifetime. If you are someone who is prone to the flu, then it may be beneficial. It may also be beneficial if you work with an immuno-suppressed population. But overall, I don't think mandatory vaccination of every health care worker is good policy, and it intrudes on the rights of the workers. There is really no reason to get a flu vaccine outside of personal immunity or in very specific circumstances (such as working with an isolated group of people who are immunocomprimised). Contrary to popular belief and unlike many other vaccines, the influenza vaccine does not provide herd immunity in most cases. It can also make a person quite ill, even if they do not have an "adverse" reaction. I developed a fever after receiving the flu vaccine and missed a day of work. Health care workers should have the ability to choose how to manage their own health needs.
ITA.

I choose to get the shot because I HATE the idea of having to write a weeks worth of lesson plans while sick. I did it the one year I didn't get the shot since I've been teaching. That was not fun not to mention the mountain of grading I had when I got back.

I had an adverse reaction to the shot the first year I got it (developed a fever and was down for a couple of days) but didn't get the flu when it went around later. The next year, I got a flu that took me down for 8 days. I've gotten the shot ever since. I've been lucky and not gotten the flu from the shot except that first time. The last shot I had just gave me a migraine but I was ok the next day.

I don't think anyone should be forced to take the vaccine. I choose to take it for my own reasons but it's my risk to take.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Exactly. If people weigh the pros and cons and decide what's right for themselves, that is great. But to be forced to do something you have decided is not in your best interests? When did that become even a possibility?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Seriously? In this economy? You think they can just quit and find another job?

It is WRONG to tell someone they must put something into their bodies as a condition of employment. Period.
That may be true in some occupations, but in hers, like mine, there are others waiting to hire someone with the training, background and experience... She has a good work history, an education and years of experience.. It is her option plain and simple.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes it does. You said they don't live long without a host. Do you know how many people come through a hospital and touch, oh, say the elevator buttons in 48 hours?

You are NOT reducing exposure of the patients by immunizing the hospital workers. Not even close. What they're doing it making sure they don't have an epidemic that results in them not being able to cover shifts at the hospital. And you're not reducing mutations of the virus either as there are plenty of hosts out there who are not hospital workers walking through the hospital every single day.

You fool easily.
Reread the original post - it says most, not all. I am ending my discussion with you on this matter because, as someone who once shared your profession and has read your posts in one of the other parts of the forum, it is getting difficult for me not to start flinging ugly comments.

Bottom line for me, this is a public safety issue. Yes, health care workers have the right to decide what to do to their bodies, but hospitals also have a right to decide who they will employ, as long as they don't arbitrarily discriminate. They decided that unless you have a medical or religious reason to the contrary, one of the requirements of employment is an annual flu shot. You were probably required to have a TB test under the same theories.

This is not an attempt by the hospital to save on sick days. To what end? As an employee I can just decide I have a bunch of tummy aches and take every one of those sick days a little at a time. Even if it is just to save money, that is their right. Employers are not required by law to give paid sick days.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
I totally agree with this.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
What if the "medical" reason is that you don't want forced toxins injected into your body? That seems pretty straight forward, but evidently, that common sense reason is not given any credence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies