Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,051,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree. This kid's father was apparently an active part of his life. He was nurtured. Both of his parents worked and not at minimum wage jobs. His mother is a teacher. They recognized his intelligence at an early age. He was sent to schools that fostered his gifts. He was encouraged to do well. His academic success was appreciated. He was involved in his school and not just in academics. He gave back using his gifts by tutoring. It appears he was raised in a home with what are considered traditional middle class values. I have said many times, on many threads, the poor academic outcomes of black students isn't a result of innate ability, or even to a large degree the schools, but the black culture. When we can present all black children, or children of any race, the environment of this child's home they have a chance to not just succeed but soar.
This deserves nomination for post of the year!

Well said!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So now you are saying prisons are some mystical place where rules are never broken? Nah. Have to try harder then that.
Since you seem to be so sure that I am in prison, and the burden of proof falls on the one making a claim, then why don't you prove that what you claim is so?

By the way, this thread isn't about me - so the entire tangent that you are on about my potential incarceration is nothing but deflection on your part

Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,507,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Since you seem to be so sure that I am in prison, and the burden of proof falls on the one making a claim, then why don't you prove that what you claim is so?

By the way, this thread isn't about me - so the entire tangent that you are on about my potential incarceration is nothing but deflection on your part
I never claimed you were in prison. You opined that maybe this black student would end up in prison. I opined maybe you were already in prison. Maybe you should look up the word opine.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
A kid with a 151 IQ could end up in prison too, if he grows up in the wrong environment.
Yep, and he would be at the top of the food chain. In prison hierarchies, the cons who use their brain rather than brute force are given the most respect - and often mined for their knowledge.

They tend to become jailhouse lawyers - helping other inmates with appeals, and such.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I never claimed you were in prison. You opined that maybe this black student would end up in prison. I opined maybe you were already in prison. Maybe you should look up the word opine.
You didn't opine anything - you asked this question, which I then had to defend against.

Quote:
How do we know you aren't already in prison?
I shouldn't have to deny your implicit allegations - you should have to prove them.

Now, will you get back on topic?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Unfortunately when he ends up at a premier college full ride taking all honors and publishing his first peer reviewed article as a freshman, all the angry racists and people not admitted come out of the wood work and claim AA. In their mind no black kid can excel.
Wrong.

Claims of racial preference are only made in cases where such action demonstrably took place.

This kid doesn't need racial preference to get into the university of his choice.

His credentials speak for themselves.

That is how it should be - for everyone.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
You didn't opine anything - you asked this question, which I then had to defend against.

I shouldn't have to deny your implicit allegations - you should have to prove them.

Now, will you get back on topic?
You skipped the middle part of the thread

Nothing dishonest. You opined that maybe this person would go to prison. Since you went to fantasy land I simply opined that maybe you were already in prison. Your supposition is no more valid then mine. That is when you said I should take you on my word. Since in anoither thread you challenged me to scan the forum to prove/disprove your position and I then did so you failed to acknowledge the factual results. That brings into question your character and thus your veracity

As you see I clearly explained my position that my original question was merelt opining as you had done. And I am on topic. You commented on this thread by making a suppostition, i.e., a possible prediction. I just held up a mirror. And by the way, skipping parts of the thread and taking one comment out of the thread is quite disengenuous.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
One in 6 drug users are black, yet 1 in 3 arrested and 2 in 3 serving time for drugs are black.
Rule #1 for drug dealers - don't get high on your own supply.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
You skipped the middle part of the thread

Nothing dishonest. You opined that maybe this person would go to prison. Since you went to fantasy land I simply opined that maybe you were already in prison. Your supposition is no more valid then mine. That is when you said I should take you on my word. Since in anoither thread you challenged me to scan the forum to prove/disprove your position and I then did so you failed to acknowledge the factual results. That brings into question your character and thus your veracity

As you see I clearly explained my position that my original question was merelt opining as you had done. And I am on topic. You commented on this thread by making a suppostition, i.e., a possible prediction. I just held up a mirror. And by the way, skipping parts of the thread and taking one comment out of the thread is quite disengenuous.
I am reading through the thread right now.

Why don't you read through the thread that I linked to in the other thread about liberal tactics - so that you can see the clear practice of such debate quelching rhetoric in action?

Using the search tool won't help you. You need to review the entire body of work.

And yes, you are off topic. You are discussing me, rather than the issue.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I am reading throught the thread right now.

Why don't you read through the thread that I linked to in the other thread about liberal tactics - so that you can see the clear practice of such debate quelching rhetoric in action?
I did. And I did acknowledge SOME liberals will spew hate. What you failed to acknowledger is that SOME conservatives also do that. You started a thread saying liberals do that. The implication is obvious that you feel this is province of liberals. Otherwise why start the thread?

You on the other hand failed to SCAN the forum for CONS doing the same as you challenged me to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies