Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You seem to think they all drop out at 10 years old and we need to pity them and support them financially regardless of their decisions.

If they are being raised in a home of drug addicted parents then call CPS and have them removed.
If they are coming to school hungry and not being fed, call CPS and have them removed.
If they are not coming to school, call CPS and have the parents brought to court.

Start making the parents responsible, accountable and punishable for their actions on their minor children.
Start taking away the children and expand foster care in the hopes you can change the kids.

All we ever want to do though is throw more money at these problems to keep them under the radar.
Ahahahaha, spoken like someone who NEVER votes to cut taxes and funding for public agencies, right?

Do you have ANY idea how hopelessly underfunded and overworked CPS agencies are, even in blue states?

Geez, warn me before you say something so silly next time so I can run get my Depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Please see my most recent post. Google it if you care. Teenagers still have horrifyingly wrong beliefs about sexuality. But believe what your agenda tells you.
And that is with sex education and free condoms and accessibility to contraceptives..all at school.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,890 times
Default Do you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The question that begs for attention is: Why are so many American's working minimum wage jobs? The answer is much larger than the current economic downturn......this is about the number of unskilled American's seeking jobs. Why are there so many unskilled and uneducated people to begin with?
How about those people who have been laid off their jobs after 10-20 years of service? How about the men and womyn who have served in the military and once they are out they try to find a job? How about the newly graduated students who took the time to be educated and get their degrees and now they are out trying to find a job? No one WANTS to work a minimum wage job, but if no one else wants to hire you how else can you pay bills and continue to live if you don't take what you can get? I have a degree and after I graduated I ended up waiting tables because in my field they want you to have 5+ years of working experience. I had a internship as well at a public relations firm, I worked during my time in college as well since I was a single parent. Currently I am furthering my education even more because jobs in my field want me to have a masters and or a phd as well. But then what else, I have student loans to pay off as well. I've gotten scholarships but they do not account for everything. I'm still working on it though. Thankfully I have a contract job at the moment.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Ahahahaha, spoken like someone who NEVER votes to cut taxes and funding for public agencies, right?

Do you have ANY idea how hopelessly underfunded and overworked CPS agencies are, even in blue states?

Geez, warn me before you say something so silly next time so I can run get my Depends.
Right..so we just keep pouring money into government programs to subsidize these people.
Underfunded or over taxed..either way you are going to pay for it and the numbers are growing, not shrinking.

And that is a major problem for the Democrats..how to raise revenue to continue to fund these growing programs.
The "welfare state" is running out of money.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Well it would raise some wage inflation. Since we refuse to stop asset inflation its better than nothing, as little as it is.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Please see my most recent post. Google it if you care. Teenagers still have horrifyingly wrong beliefs about sexuality. But believe what your agenda tells you.
Then why should they believe teachers, or care? Typical dumbazz teens believe what they want and do what they want anyway. It's what they see in the home and what is cool in the media that has the most effect. Many kids think teachers are losers because they don't make big money and are forced to tolerate abuse from students and parents so the respect isn't there.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
It won't raise them out of poverty because goods and service prices will rise. A certain segment of the population will always live in poverty. Unfortunately, it is more likely to happen to single minority mothers and their children than any other demographic. You want to truly battle poverty? Encourage marriage and hold fathers accountable. Two adults can combine their resources therefore creating a better standard of living and environment in which to raise a child than one adult. Fathers are not expendable.

The other thing worth noting is that what we consider poverty is often a higher standard of living than middle class people have in other countries.
http://www.timbro.se/bokhandel/pdf/9175665646.pdf

Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The question that begs for attention is:

Why are there so many unskilled and uneducated people to begin with?
Why are there so many single mothers

Maybe... having sex with uneducated men

Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Why are there so many single mothers

Maybe... having sex with uneducated men
Because having a kid outside of marriage is not seen as bad.
And one can depend on the government to subsidize your finances.

In some cases being a single mother is your way out to having your own apartment.
There is a mindset among some poor that would boggle your mind when you heard it.

Working among poor kids in the schools has educated me beyond any MSM article or study.
And you realize that this is all they know; this is how they were raised, this is how their friends live, this is how their relatives live and this is how they will live.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Dec. 19, 2012

AUSTIN, Texas — Raising the minimum wage to a living wage begins the cycle of lifting single mothers out of poverty, according to a policy report released by the Institute for Urban Policy Research & Analysis (IUPRA) at The University of Texas at Austin.

The U.S. census shows more Americans — 46.2 million people — are living in poverty than ever before. And for African American and Hispanic women, a full-time minimum wage job isn’t enough to break out of the poverty cycle. According to the report, working women of color make $0.64 and $0.56, respectively, for every dollar white men earn.............................

Raising Minimum Wage Lifts Single Mothers Out of Poverty and Boosts U.S. Economy, Policy Report Shows | News
Raising wages, forces raising cost to the consumer. Putting the price, no longer in reach of some.

Lost revenue, and more overhead, means I'm going to have to let several employees go, so I can stay in business, making a profit to keep the doors open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies