Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So does he or does he not PAY for the insurance? If it is his money than I feel he had the right to say how it will be used and what insurance he wants to buy for his employees. My hubby's employer gets to choose what insurance he will buy for his employees. If we don't like it tough luck. My hubby can buy our insurance elsewhere or find another job. Everyone was in the same boat until Obama started to mandate things.
Whats the probelm? All he has to do is find a christian run insurance company that does not pay for contrceptions and abortions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Right now your insurance to you is dictated to you through your employer. I have never had a job that allowed me to pick which insurance I wanted outside of the limited options they had.
There is no law that dictates that you have to buuy company insurance, granted it may be cheaper than getting your own, but if you feel that strongly against what the company is paying for spend the extra dollars

Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I say F' Hobby Lobby, let them go away. Really, we don't need them.

You can have any belief you want, that is fine. Yet at a certain point you must respect and work with the beliefs of your employees. I know they want to focus this discussion on the poor rich people who run this organization. . .so sad for them.

Yet the people hurt by this are the employees, not these old rich probably don't have sex anymore people. Mother jones noted that woman who use birth control "are the 99%". This is nothing but a couple rich people picking a fight and trying to reinforce their religious beliefs on others.

I stand with the employees.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is the job of Congress, they are law makers.
They just hate it when the Constitution gets in their way.... so they ignore it, and now it is being challenged.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I say F' Hobby Lobby, let them go away. Really, we don't need them.

You can have any belief you want, that is fine. Yet at a certain point you must respect and work with the beliefs of your employees. I know they want to focus this discussion on the poor rich people who run this organization. . .so sad for them.

Yet the people hurt by this are the employees, not these old rich probably don't have sex anymore people. Mother jones noted that woman who use birth control "are the 99%". This is nothing but a couple rich people picking a fight and trying to reinforce their religious beliefs on others.

I stand with the employees.
These old people, as you call them, started the business. They are the reason the employees have a job. They provide them an income and benefits, They just don't cover certain drugs.

Why are they bad for starting a business and creating 13,000 jobs?

Hobby Lobby isn't hurting its employees.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Liberals lack a lot of comprehension skills. Refusing to pay for something isn't forcing your beliefs on anyone. I don't want to pay for your birth control either, but you are free to spend your money and go buy your own birth control. What part of personal responsibility do you not understand??? If an employee can't pay for birth control, then they don't need to be having sex. Not the bosses job to fund their sexual practices.

Example, if the Hobby Lobby CEO said that he would fire every employee who uses birth control, then yes, he would be forcing his beliefs on others. He is just saying that he doesn't want to fund their birth control and abortions. Truthfully, as a taxpayer, I don't want to fund your birth control either. I am a woman as well. I just think my birth control should be my responsibility.
Can a taxpayer legally not pay their income taxes because their faith is opposed to war and the military? I doubt it. If a sikh owned a construction business could he ban hardhats from construction sites and have everyone wear a turbin? Could a Jewish business owner ban all pork products from entering any property he owns? Can an Amish business conduct all of their business affairs without any kind of insurance because their faith forbids it? Could a Muslim company force all employees to observe Sharia law in the workplace?
Could a Hindu employer fire an employee for eating meat?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Can a taxpayer legally not pay their income taxes because their faith is opposed to war and the military? I doubt it. If a sikh owned a construction business could he ban hardhats from construction sites and have everyone wear a turbin? Could a Jewish business owner ban all pork products from entering any property he owns? Can an Amish business conduct all of their business affairs without any kind of insurance because their faith forbids it? Could a Muslim company force all employees to observe Sharia law in the workplace?
Could a Hindu employer fire an employee for eating meat?
I think the Amish are going to be exempt but then they usually pay cash whenever they go to the doctor or buy meds. We need to wait to see if the Muslim companies are exempt, I know they don't allow abortions or BC.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Businesses have to follow many laws they don't necessarily agree with. They have to pay minimum wage, whether they want to or not. The have to comply with all the provisions of the wages and hours act, in fact. They have to follow the relevant codes, e.g. a restaurant has to follow the health laws regarding food safety whether they like them or not.

People who bring up the Amish, an extremely small group, and the Muslims, a group some RWs love to hate, are just moving the goalposts. These medications are legal drugs.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I think the Amish are going to be exempt but then they usually pay cash whenever they go to the doctor or buy meds. We need to wait to see if the Muslim companies are exempt, I know they don't allow abortions or BC.
Truthfully I don't think that there are many christians and I know not alot of Jews that work for muslins in the first place, so that would not be a good example
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies