Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,827,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Anybody notice how private Americans are in the middle of the greatest bout of arms proliferation ever in the history of... well, ever? Gun store shelves everywhere are literally empty of "scary black guns" and accoutrements... it's unbelievable! And that's after a similar run 4 years ago.

What do you think is gonna happen to all those guns and high capacity magazines if they are banned? Do you really think they will suddenly "poof" out of existence?!
The unintended consequences of banning "all" guns in the US would be the mass explosion of gun crime. It would embolden full-time criminals (with weapons (all of them)) and turn higher-end neighborhoods into shopping malls.

Home invasions would skyrocket, and violent crime statistics would double.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamPieSally View Post
You are just mad because I call you out exactly for what it is. Your type is the one who won't have a realistic debate. You act like "them common for my guns! What am I goin to do when I need to feel big bad and tough!" The truth is that you, shrimp dick, are the one who won't have a proper debate to see how to limit senseless murder. You can't argue with a idiot with a small dick.

WOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,901,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Yet they're the #1 choice for mass shooters... why is that? Due to combination of accessibility, high killing potential and "cool" factor. Cut off the accessibility, decrease the incidence and severity of mass shootings.
Maybe you can dig up some statistics to prove that, because I highly doubt that's the case. Off hand I can only think of 3 cases that involved "assault Rifles"... Sandy Hook, the Colorado theatre and the DC snipers.

But now there are millions of such guns out there. Ban them and they will still be there. Order everyone one to turn them in and you'll get only a tiny percentage of them.

Right now the best way to get one is to go to a gun store and go through the checks. After you can't buy them legally, people will still want to buy and sell them so the black market will rise to fill the demand. At the moment you need crooked connections to get access to black market guns, but that would change with the volume we're talking about.

When I lived in Bolivia and Brazil in the 90s it was easier to buy a gun off the street than at a gun store in America, even though they were illegal. I didn't need connections, I just needed to know who to ask.

This isn't emotion or rhetoric, it's simple cause and effect. Ban them and the same thing will happen here.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,498,220 times
Quote:
You hillbilly shrimp dicks and your fascination with guns is so funny. Most likely due to a small intellect or a very small penis. Most likely both.
Says "creampie" Sally... LMAO

Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,901,130 times
Quote:
You are just mad because I call you out exactly for what it is. Your type is the one who won't have a realistic debate. You act like "them common for my guns! What am I goin to do when I need to feel big bad and tough!" The truth is that you, shrimp dick, are the one who won't have a proper debate to see how to limit senseless murder. You can't argue with a idiot with a small dick.
Grow up. Slinging insults doesn't make an argument.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,827,492 times
Quote:
Yet they're the #1 choice for mass shooters... why is that? Due to combination of accessibility, high killing potential and "cool" factor. Cut off the accessibility, decrease the incidence and severity of mass shootings.
Okay, so, you take away the AR15... then the M1 becomes the favored weapon of idiots.
So, you take away the M1... then the Winchester 308 becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So, you take away the Winchester 308... and the Ruger .22LR becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So, you take away the Ruger .22LR... then the Colt .45 becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So you take away the Colt .45... then the Berreta .25 becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So you take away the Berreta .25... then a blade becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So you take away the blades... then a baseball bat becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So you take away baseball bats... then rocks become the favorite weapon of idiots.

The problem is; it'll be law-abiding citizens defending themselves with the rocks, while criminals wield the AR15s and M1s and 308s, and .22LRs...etc. No matter how inaccessible you think you can make guns; it'll only be law-abiding citizens obeying the law. Most of us will become law breakers by hiding weapons, just like the French resistance did.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,626,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Okay, so, you take away the AR15... then the M1 becomes the favored weapon of idiots.
So, you take away the M1... then the Winchester 308 becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So, you take away the Winchester 308... and the Ruger .22LR becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So, you take away the Ruger .22LR... then the Colt .45 becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So you take away the Colt .45... then the Berreta .25 becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So you take away the Berreta .25... then a blade becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So you take away the blades... then a baseball bat becomes the favorite weapon of idiots.
So you take away baseball bats... then rocks become the favorite weapon of idiots.

The problem is; it'll be law-abiding citizens defending themselves with the rocks, while criminals wield the AR15s and M1s and 308s, and .22LRs...etc. No matter how inaccessible you think you can make guns; it'll only be law-abiding citizens obeying the law. Most of us will become law breakers by hiding weapons, just like the French resistance did.
Exactly. It's horribly naive to think that banning guns is going to make them go away. We criminalized drugs, but we all know easy it is to get those. Heck, high school students have an easier time getting illegal drugs than they do legal, but regulated, alcohol.

Criminals will continue to get them, plus they'll now have a brand new black market for illegal weapons. We may prevent a mass shooting here or there, but we'll also see innocent people murdered when they get entangled with gun smugglers. So are we really gaining anything, or just shifting when and where Americans are getting killed?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,323,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Exactly. It's horribly naive to think that banning guns is going to make them go away. We criminalized drugs, but we all know easy it is to get those. Heck, high school students have an easier time getting illegal drugs than they do legal, but regulated, alcohol.

Criminals will continue to get them, plus they'll now have a brand new black market for illegal weapons. We may prevent a mass shooting here or there, but we'll also see innocent people murdered when they get entangled with gun smugglers. So are we really gaining anything, or just shifting when and where Americans are getting killed?
Are you an innocent person if you are entangled with gun smugglers?

Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM

37,578 posts, read 19,449,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Anybody notice how private Americans are in the middle of the greatest bout of arms proliferation ever in the history of... well, ever? Gun store shelves everywhere are literally empty of "scary black guns" and accoutrements... it's unbelievable! And that's after a similar run 4 years ago.

What do you think is gonna happen to all those guns and high capacity magazines if they are banned? Do you really think they will suddenly "poof" out of existence?!

Of course not. Instead a new black market for them will open up and they will change hands in the dark rather than on gun store counters... and there are no background checks or paper trails on the black market.

Rather than help make our children safer, threats of new bans from Obama and friends had created a massive panic that assures a steady supply for the black market for years to come!

When the first AW Ban went into effect, military style guns were just a small niche in the gun market. Few gun owners owned or felt the need to own one. All that changed when they were banned and made "special", making their un-banning like Christmas morning at age 10 for a new generation of gun owners (like myself) and making AR-15s more common than bolt-action hunting rifles.

If anything, a new "Assault Weapon" ban will make our world more dangerous now!

Have we learned nothing from the "War on Drugs?!"
If assault rifles are banned, there will be a buyback. Anyone who keeps one will become a criminal.

It is nice to see that you are in favor of legalization of drugs.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,016,733 times

5 Facts About Guns, Schools, & Violence - YouTube

Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM

15,925 posts, read 14,628,343 times
Quote:
AWB will make it easier for criminals to get Assault Weapons? You must be joking. It wouldn't be any easier than it currently is.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Right now, heroin and cocain are completely illegal anywhere in the country. I have no doubt that if I wanted to buy a few grams of either I could do so within a half hour. And this is from someone who hasn't done so before. Regular users have their dealers on speed dial, and can probably hook up in minutes. None of the comes from within the US, but it's available everywhere in the US.

Given the fact that large hunks of the country would simply ignore what Washington wants, and that there'd be significant demand from the existing criminal element and from people who feel they have a right to guns no matter what Congress or the President wants, a black market will spring up to fill the demand, and this black market will bring in anything they think they can sell. It's not like they don't already have a pipeline to bring in banned goods (see above.)

Quote:
Straw purchases are the number one way for criminals to get guns.
Now. If you change the rules, they'll change the game to get around the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies