Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times

Advertisements

Interesting article. I hate politics because I'm right and everyone else is wrong, but this article was worth passing along. Is the answer Fight Club? If these bullied on "losers" had an outlet to take on their tormentors (an organized, fair, one on one fist fight), maybe this sort of thing would happen less often. This thread and article has nothing to do with gun control per se, and I hope we can avoid having that debate. K thx

Column: Guns don't kill people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Interesting article. I hate politics because I'm right and everyone else is wrong, but this article was worth passing along. Is the answer Fight Club? If these bullied on "losers" had an outlet to take on their tormentors (an organized, fair, one on one fist fight), maybe this sort of thing would happen less often. This thread and article has nothing to do with gun control per se, and I hope we can avoid having that debate. K thx

Maybe the tormentors should stop tormenting.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:

guns dont murder people, our government does.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
guns dont murder people, our government does.
Thanks for your wonderful contribution to this thread.

Folks, read the article and offer up something insightful, or don't post at all.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Men commit ~ 88 % of the homicides in the U.S.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Gender

Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Maybe the tormentors should stop tormenting.
Unlikely to happen, given human nature (adolescence is difficult even for the most "normal" of kids).

Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 PM

24 posts, read 34,329 times
Didn't feel like reading the article but what happens if you set up said fight club and those getting bullied gets their butt kicked? Don't think it deter anything, if anything speed it up.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Thanks for your wonderful contribution to this thread.

Folks, read the article and offer up something insightful, or don't post at all.

I did read the article, and commented on your OP. I dont think having obama start another organization or group via EO is the way to go.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Yes, an interesting article. I'm not sure that there's an obvious, direct connection between "failure to launch" or "demasculinization" of our young men and mass murder, but perhaps there is a real substantial indirect connection.

If a White House commission or inquiry should be created on the issue of mass murder, the strength of that connection ought to be on the agenda. But if real evidence could be established, would the implications for policy be politically feasible?

Suppose, as Farrell suggests, that Adam Lanza's troubles began with his father's departure from his family, and it could be demonstrated in some conclusive way that divorce and fatherlessness does have these very salient consequences (apart from the conclusive evidence for less sensational but similarly destructive consequences, which already does exist).

What would that imply from a policy perspective? Reform of state divorce laws to inhibit divorce, or at least to considerably tilt the balance of custody decisions in favor of men. Is it politically palatable? Is it any more politically feasible than banning assault weapons?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I did read the article, and commented on your OP. I dont think having obama start another organization or group via EO is the way to go.
For the record, I don't either. But we as a society need to man up our adolescent males and provide appropriate ways for them to channel their aggression in healthy ways (whether that be through sports or allowing the bullied to pop their tormenters in the face without the kid facing an immediate suspension).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies