Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,524,879 times

Advertisements

I remember some years back an org in the bay area was going to offer women with multiple kids, on public assistance, some with drug addictions, to have their tubes tied for a large sum of money. Of course that was shut down almost immediately in the ultra liberal bay area. I'm a liberal/progressive, but I don't think women should be allowed to pop out kid after kid on tax payer cost. Whether it's her welfare check or these kids in foster care, we all end up paying. The greatest cost is the toll these abused, poorly raised, unloved children will take on all of us in the future with crime and more irresponsible breeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,200,022 times
They are still alive and well.

Project Prevention - Children Requiring a Caring Community

I support what they are doing, matter of fact think it is a good idea, but I can see why it's controversial. People are making permanent, life altering decisions while they are not competent to make any kind of decision.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,306,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I remember some years back an org in the bay area was going to offer women with multiple kids, on public assistance, some with drug addictions, to have their tubes tied for a large sum of money. Of course that was shut down almost immediately in the ultra liberal bay area. I'm a liberal/progressive, but I don't think women should be allowed to pop out kid after kid on tax payer cost. Whether it's her welfare check or these kids in foster care, we all end up paying. The greatest cost is the toll these abused, poorly raised, unloved children will take on all of us in the future with crime and more irresponsible breeding.
I don't think the government has a right to control reproductive rights. Now that doesn't mean they have to encourage dysfunctional behavior, but forcing people to get sterilized is really really messed up on so many levels

Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't want women who are in the throws of their addiction to do this. Maybe a program that gets them clean then sterilizers them. It could be part of a program to help them get their kids back or in a better place to live.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I don't think the government has a right to control reproductive rights. Now that doesn't mean they have to encourage dysfunctional behavior, but forcing people to get sterilized is really really messed up on so many levels
It's not force it's giving them a incentive to stop having children they're not going to take care of. They wouldn't HAVE do it.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:36 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,784,716 times
Quote:
So you don't think popping out kids, having kids that they can't afford to take care of and because of the mothers (and fathers) irresponsibility these kids are born into poverty. You don't think that is messed up?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,016,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So you don't think popping out kids, having kids that they can't afford to take care of and because of the mothers (and fathers) irresponsibility these kids are born into poverty. You don't think that is messed up?
Of course it is... but even when we disagree with HOW people run their lives, we should still support their freedom TO run their lives. Basic American principle, or so I thought.

And yes, I realize this particular program isn't forcing anyone to do anything - just answering your question. I don't really have an opinion on the program, outside of agreeing that addicts shouldn't be making life-altering decisions. I've actually never even heard of this, and have lived in the Bay (on & off) for 30 years. Was it ever presented to the public? If not, who did you think had "shut it down?"

Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,451,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are still alive and well.

Project Prevention - Children Requiring a Caring Community

I support what they are doing, matter of fact think it is a good idea, but I can see why it's controversial. People are making permanent, life altering decisions while they are not competent to make any kind of decision.
Continuing to have unprotected sex while addicted also often leads to permanent, life altering consequences. There are types of tubal ligation that offer a higher rate of successful reversal surgery... if they change their mind down the road.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,791,794 times
Quote:
I don't like being forced to support their children - which would more than likely be from cradle to grave. Where's my choice?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,306,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I don't like being forced to support their children - which would more than likely be from cradle to grave. Where's my choice?
Your'e going to have to support their kids one way or another. That's why I support contraception and abortions. What I don't support is forced sterilizations, but it doesn't seem like this program supports that either, thank god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies