Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 02:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I have been polite. I have not insulted anyone, even after I have been insulted. If you think being "polite" means agreing with everything, and everyone and change his position just to be "nice" then you have not understood what "polite" means. That's not polite, that's dishonest.
No. I think polite is not telling off everyone who disagrees with you under the guise of "faith". Lots of opinions out there. Lots of different kinds of people. Lots of religions.

I've never quite understood why all the fundamentalists think they have the right to tell everyone else how to live. Those women were hurting no one. Not you. Not the guy who owned the restaurant.

This is the United States. Not a country where the fundies (that would be Iran) get to decide what everyone else has to do. I don't think two women, doing nothing more than enjoying a dinner together, deserve a lecture from someone who is upset because his own family has problems. It wasn't even a "Jesus loves you! " note. It was a "you aren't living the way I want you to!" note. I can't imagine the women felt any Christian love after they read it. If you want to send the owner a "great job" note of encouragement because he shook his finger at them.... go for it.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. I think polite is not telling off everyone who disagrees with you under the guise of "faith". Lots of opinions out there. Lots of different kinds of people. Lots of religions.

I've never quite understood why all the fundamentalists think they have the right to tell everyone else how to live. Those women were hurting no one. Not you. Not the guy who owned the restaurant.

This is the United States. Not a country where the fundies (that would be Iran) get to decide what everyone else has to do. I don't think two women, doing nothing more than enjoying a dinner together, deserve a lecture from someone who is upset because his own family has problems. It wasn't even a Jesus loves you! " note. It was a "you aren't living the way I want you to!" note.
You are doing it right now. You are telling people what they can, and cannot say, and that if they do not behave in a manner which you approve then they are "rude". You elevate yourself to a position of a judge who decides what is appropriate and what is not. How is that OK, but it is not OK for a believer to talk about his faith? Who are you to decide?

Some others said he was rude because he passed a note, as opposed to speaking out loud.

Some others were offended by the poor grammar.

You can't please everyone. It is as simple as that. Someone will always find a way to be offended.

Look, you have your opinion, and you have your freedom to say whatever you want, including disagreeing with others, and you might as well let others say what they want.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
I have been polite throughout this thread, even while people unloaded the worst judgment and insults on me, and my brothers and sisters in Christ. Why would I be any different if a muslim talked to me about his faith? I'd be happy to speak with them. The last thing I would do is run to a news station and try to publicly ruin their reputation.
There is a difference when two people of different faiths TALK about their faith, as the differences and what they share in common, and someone claiming to be doing God's work as a messenger of God and pushing their religious beliefs and passing judgment on someone.

Obviously people see this man's problem was NOT his faith, but him imposing his beliefs on people and using his faith for doing so. When you hear about priests molesting little boys - do you blame the religion or the person for their behavior? What ever happened to live and let live?

He's lost his daughter because of his beliefs, and I hope she is in a much better place with good people, and now people in his area knows he is an idiot and he hurt his business which didn't seem to be doing to well before the incident. So it seems to be that his beliefs are working against him. I guess the only people who will be eating there will be people who think like him. Maybe this will teach him that in the future it's best to mind your own business.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
He said God told him to write the letter and give it to them. Apparently he has done it before to another couple.
He sounds mentally unstable.
If you take the god part out and the voices in his head were coming from some guy named Bob, he would be getting government mandated treatment for his mental illness. When you are able to cover your hatred, bigotry and insanity with a thin veneer of the word of god, some people will give you a pass for acting like a complete jerk. Does this guy live in a stand your ground state? I know many people that would consider a nutjob religious lunatic doing this to be a direct threat to their safety. People with a similar form of zeal have shot abortion doctors and bombed clinics all in the name of doing the lord's work.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
You are doing it right now.
Probably.

Telling all the finger shakers that they don't get to choose how everyone else lives is quiet freeing.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Probably.

Telling all the finger shakers that they don't get to choose how everyone else lives is quiet freeing.
Freeing? I believe the word is "hypocritical".

Maybe someone should write a book called "How to interact with homosexuals in a politically correct manner".

Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Freeing? I believe the word is "hypocritical".

Maybe someone should write a book called "How to interact with homosexuals in a politically correct manner".

Since you guys like to play the victim/martyrdom/persecution thing to death:

Here ya go. Have fun.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Your insults do nothing but lift him up in the eyes of his brothers and sisters in Christ, and my guess is that his business will pick up significantly after this media attack.
The media reporting on someone spewing hate and venom is not a media attack.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Your insults do nothing but lift him up in the eyes of his brothers and sisters in Christ, and my guess is that his business will pick up significantly after this media attack.
Can't argue with that logic. Unfortunately there is nothing logical about anything you said. Seriously, the fact that others tell you he did something wierd (which he did for a fact) makes you think more highly of him....why? No reason, just because it somehow makes YOU feel good to twist things around so you can turn it into a "win" for god in some crazy way that only you understand.

I wonder if there is a name for that kind of thing.

And if you like (and I'm sure you do) you can tell yourself that my pointing out that he is weird and you are illogical is PROOF that you are right and god is on your side. . Be my guest, it's the least I can do.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Can't argue with that logic. Unfortunately there is nothing logical about anything you said. Seriously, the fact that others tell you he did something wierd (which he did for a fact) makes you think more highly of him....why? No reason, just because it somehow makes YOU feel good to twist things around so you can turn it into a "win" for god in some crazy way that only you understand.
There is nothing weird in spreading the word of God, and I would not be surprised if this man would receive an influx of new Christian customers. Being a believer is like being a member of a huge family. You should try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies