Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times

Advertisements

Found this on twitter.

One this is missing from the image:

Number of lawmakers file their own tax = 0

If you find paying tax is stressful, you are not along. We need a simplify the tax code. Why do we need a tax professional just to pay the tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
The problem with tax reform is that it would slaughter too many people's and organizations' sacred cows. How do you think the tax code got that big and convoluted in first place?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Found this on twitter.

One this is missing from the image:

Number of lawmakers file their own tax = 0

If you find paying tax is stressful, you are not along. We need a simplify the tax code. Why do we need a tax professional just to pay the tax?
On PBS this morning, a person making $274K {only $66K pay} was taxed at 14% and had deductions. Compared to another person who earned $84K {pay}, he was taxed at 18%, he had no deductions, and was not eligible to take any.

Is this fair?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
On PBS this morning, a person making $274K {only $66K pay} was taxed at 14% and had deductions. Compared to another person who earned $84K {pay}, he was taxed at 18%, he had no deductions, and was not eligible to take any.

Is this fair?
This is not an issue about fairness. It's about complexity of the tax code.

For the person making $274k, I bet most income are either from passive (capital gain, rental, royalty, etc). Passive incomes require a person to sacrifice first, like you have to SAVE first before spending. Unfortunate, most people do exactly the opposite. They spend first, not only they spend their income, they go into debt and then blame the people who save for their failure.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
I agree completely. Maybe we need to show this to people going into college and advise them to become tax accountants!

Regardless of the change, moving to a clean starting point would do wonders.

Quote:

Is this fair?
And because I can't resist...Instead of going off of two specific individuals, let's look at national statistics. The lower/middle class pays dramatically less in taxes than the average wealthy person. If someone makes $84k and pays 18%, then that person needs to hire a new accountant.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
This is not an issue about fairness. It's about complexity of the tax code.

For the person making $274k, I bet most income are either from passive (capital gain, rental, royalty, etc). Passive incomes require a person to sacrifice first, like you have to SAVE first before spending. Unfortunate, most people do exactly the opposite. They spend first, not only they spend their income, they go into debt and then blame the people who save for their failure.
The problem I see is the one making $274K had a higher pay intake than the other, but was still taxed at a lower rate. The person earning a loer amount of pay was taxed higher.

and yes, the person making the $274K had capital gains, etc..

I'm making it an issue about "fairness".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I agree completely. Maybe we need to show this to people going into college and advise them to become tax accountants!

And because I can't resist...Instead of going off of two specific individuals, let's look at national statistics. The lower/middle class pays dramatically less in taxes than the average wealthy person. If someone makes $84k and pays 18%, then that person needs to hire a new accountant.
I can't resist either, the person making $84K has no deductions, he owns no home, he has no children, he has no investments for a capital gains deduction, he has nothing the one making $274K a year does.
New accountant? I doubt it.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
The problem I see is the one making $274K had a higher pay intake than the other, but was still taxed at a lower rate. The person earning a loer amount of pay was taxed higher.

and yes, the person making the $274K had capital gains, etc..

I'm making it an issue about "fairness".

I can't resist either, the person making $84K has no deductions, he owns no home, he has no children, he has no investments for a capital gains deduction, he has nothing the one making $274K a year does.
New accountant? I doubt it.
Listen, if he is making 84k and have no investment, then there is a problem. I am making less than 84k and can afford a home, then he should have an home plus a rental. How did I do it? I save for many years. I live with my parents until I can afford my own place. I didn't own a car until my 2nd child. I only buy what necessities. I get free coffee at the office instead of starbucks, etc.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Listen, if he is making 84k and have no investment, then there is a problem. I am making less than 84k and can afford a home, then he should have an home plus a rental. How did I do it? I save for many years. I live with my parents until I can afford my own place. I didn't own a car until my 2nd child. I only buy what necessities. I get free coffee at the office instead of starbucks, etc.
I think it depends on where a person chooses to live too. A person making only $84K a year out east, as NYC, isn't going to see their pay go very far at all.

$84K a year in the Chicago area is a drop in the bucket by modern day standards too. Rent, food, transportation and everyday living expenses are greater too than let's say a person living in Louisville, KY or cities in Missouri, Oklahoma, and so forth.
But some people end up where ever they can find good steady employment opportunities. My spouse's grandparents moved 17 times in their life times seeking employment.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:46 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

That chart isn't exactly accurate on the high end because you have the super rich mooching off the lesser rich to make it look like they pay a higher rate. Basically if you are lesser rich chances are a lot of that is earned income and if you are super rich chances are a lot of that is carried interest, dividends or capital gains. In fact, if you are wealthy enough and singleminded in not paying taxes it is very possible to have an income of 1,000,000+ and 0 federal tax liability.

When you break the 1,000,000+ category down more you start to see a steady decline the further up you go.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 01-14-2013 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I think it depends on where a person chooses to live too. A person making only $84K a year out east, as NYC, isn't going to see their pay go very far at all.

$84K a year in the Chicago area is a drop in the bucket by modern day standards too. Rent, food, transportation and everyday living expenses are greater too than let's say a person living in Louisville, KY or cities in Missouri, Oklahoma, and so forth.
But some people end up where ever they can find good steady employment opportunities. My spouse's grandparents moved 17 times in their life times seeking employment.
I lived in NYC all my lif. If a person cannot survive with 63k (18% + 7.65 fica) net income, he has a problem.

Anyway, the thread complexity of the tax code. I person think the whole tax code need to be trashed and replace with a consumption tax. Not 30%, not 20%, but single digits like 4 to 7%. 1% goes to the federal, 2% go to the state, 4% go to local county/town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies