Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,393,927 times

Advertisements

Obama appears to gain ground in spending battle - latimes.com

The GOP's problem is obvious. They have taken a hostage they absolutely cannot afford to shoot- the US Economy.

That's why the president is "refusing" to negotiate- the GOP isn't holding any cards. Obama can lay the megaphone on the hood of his squad car, walk across the street to Starbucks, and chill.

A lot more logical place for the GOP to make a stand on spending cuts would be the sequestration and continuing resolution debates to come. As it is, they are like a guy who gets his credit card bill in the mail, and rants, "I charged too much last month! I REFUSE to make this payment!" Try that with your bank, and see how it works!

But there, I see I used "logical" and GOP in the same sentence...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
I think the debate should be on how much to raise it, not the act of raising it or not.
We really have no choice in the matter. Geithner is paying USG bills with Federal pension money now and said he can only do that until February.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,857,105 times
The GOP obstructionists are getting spanked in public!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 AM

691 posts, read 772,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Obama appears to gain ground in spending battle - latimes.com

The GOP's problem is obvious. They have taken a hostage they absolutely cannot afford to shoot- the US Economy.

That's why the president is "refusing" to negotiate- the GOP isn't holding any cards. Obama can lay the megaphone on the hood of his squad car, walk across the street to Starbucks, and chill.

A lot more logical place for the GOP to make a stand on spending cuts would be the sequestration and continuing resolution debates to come. As it is, they are like a guy who gets his credit card bill in the mail, and rants, "I charged too much last month! I REFUSE to make this payment!" Try that with your bank, and see how it works!

But there, I see I used "logical" and GOP in the same sentence...

The debt ceiling does not need to be raised. The government should live within its means.

If there is no more limit on your credit card, you start paying for your purchases with CASH until you pay down your debt.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
The debt ceiling does not need to be raised. The government should live within its means.

If there is no more limit on your credit card, you start paying for your purchases with CASH until you pay down your debt.
In other words, you are recommending that we only pay off a certain amount of what we already owe. That would be like saying, "I am only going to pay for half of my credit card bill."

Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
In other words, you are recommending that we only pay off a certain amount of what we already owe. That would be like saying, "I am only going to pay for half of my credit card bill."
Why not ? That seems to be the American way..just walk away from your debt.
Look at mortgages, student loans, CCs for a perfect example of just how we are doing that today.

(yeah I realize the government can't do that but with so many individuals in America doing that I can see why they think this is no big deal).

Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why not ? That seems to be the American way..just walk away from your debt.
Look at mortgages, student loans, CCs for a perfect example of just how we are doing that today.

(yeah I realize the government can't do that but with so many individuals in America doing that I can see why they think this is no big deal).
You realize that by doing this, our economy would crash huge don't you?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You realize that by doing this, our economy would crash huge don't you?
Did you not see my realistic comment in parens ?

The American mentality is to walk away from your debt..what can they possibly do ?
That mentality spills over to politics. I was just voicing that side.

The US already had their huge crash. We are stagnating and bouncing along the bottom, being propped up by Uncle Ben and his QE infinity program.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,466,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Did you not see my realistic comment in parens ?

The American mentality is to walk away from your debt..what can they possibly do ?
That mentality spills over to politics. I was just voicing that side.

The US already had their huge crash. We are stagnating and bouncing along the bottom, being propped up by Uncle Ben and his QE infinity program.

You are so right in what you are saying.

Do you know how how many Americans from all walks of life, i know who have just walked away from their debts, and their homes.

Like it means nothing to them at all, doesn't faze them in the least. No fight in them at all, i was not raised like this. You meet your challenges head on. People and priorities have changed, and not for the better.

Can't afford it, you don't need it, have to use the creidt card for purchase, don't buy it, you will be here forever paying the interest on the damn cards.

And boy howdy does this mentality make it's way into politics.

I know a few people in the financial business, they still think, that the bottom has not hit rock bottom yet, hope they are wrong.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,239,289 times
BHO is correct - you can't stop raising the debt ceiling.

A balanced budget is impossible.
Though it seems bizarre to claim such a thing, the law is clear.
1. Title 12 USC Sec. 411 defines a 'dollar bill' as an obligation (debt) of the U.S. government.
2. To authorize new 'dollar bills', Congress has to increase the debt.
3. Due to usury, there is always demand for more new 'dollar bills'.
4. Which means that to prevent economic collapse, Congress MUST run deficits.
5. Yes, it is INSANE, but cannot be challenged pursuant to clause 4, 14th amendment, USCON.

Eventually, it will collapse. The question is only when and how bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies