Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Then we all see that Wal Mart did this for PR and everyone should be outraged.
Outraged at who?
WalMart or the government for instituting the program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..the government gives a kickback for hiring veterans
About $10K from Uncle Sam to hire a vet.

20K veterans a year for 5 years @ $10K a pop is $200 million "free" money to Walmart courtesy of Uncle Sam.
You mean courtesy of the US taxpayers. One more reason I will NEVER shop at Walmart. This is purely a money grab and has nothing to do with Walmart caring about veterans.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Outraged at who?
WalMart or the government for instituting the program?
WalMart as they are the ones taking advantage of the system.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
That government credit practically pays a year's worth of wages. What happens after that first year is to be seen.
No, it doesn't pay a year's worth of wages.

How to Get Tax Credits for Hiring Veterans | Military.com

Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You mean courtesy of the US taxpayers. One more reason I will NEVER shop at Walmart. This is purely a money grab and has nothing to do with Walmart caring about veterans.
Also you have all these vets returning home as we wind down our wars in various countries in the ME.
It would drive up that UE number that is so idolized.

Only the true story is that we are basically paying companies to hire veterans and giving them almost a year's salary of taxpayer money.

But many won't know about the credit. They'll read about Walmart being a good corporate citizen and the UE numbers which don't change giving the administration kudos' for the continuing recovery.

The Emperor's New Clothes comes to mind here.
We are being fooled on so many levels it's become laughable.
When I read these stories I go hunting the money trail and usually hit pay dirt these days.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
WalMart as they are the ones taking advantage of the system.
What system are they taking advantage of and what's wrong with that? Not taking advantage of an opportunity seems stupid to me, when did not being stupid become a bad thing?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What system are they taking advantage of and what's wrong with that? Not taking advantage of an opportunity seems stupid to me, when did not being stupid become a bad thing?
WOW, so to you guys, misusing funds to your advantage as long as it is legal is ok ? And we wonder why this country is so screwed up.

ethics, morality, these things dont ring a bell ?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, it doesn't pay a year's worth of wages.

I did say "practically". If Walmart gets the $9K and they can schedule that person for hours that add up to $9K per year then yes..Uncle Sam paid their salary for one year.

I did not say in all cases but if they play their cards right than they can certainly schedule so that happens.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Also you have all these vets returning home as we wind down our wars in various countries in the ME.
It would drive up that UE number that is so idolized.

Only the true story is that we are basically paying companies to hire veterans and giving them almost a year's salary of taxpayer money.

But many won't know about the credit. They'll read about Walmart being a good corporate citizen and the UE numbers which don't change giving the administration kudos' for the continuing recovery.

The Emperor's New Clothes comes to mind here.
We are being fooled on so many levels it's become laughable.
When I read these stories I go hunting the money trail and usually hit pay dirt these days.
The government is not giving them "almost a year's salary."

And there is certainly a theme developing here.

If John Deere hires veterans and takes a tax credit--good for John Deere.

If Whirlpool hires veterans and takes a tax credit--good for Whirlpool.

If Target hires veterans and takes a tax credit---good for Target.

If Wal-Mart hires veterans and takes a tax credit---oooh, evil Wal-Mart--bad bad bad!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I did say "practically". If Walmart gets the $9K and they can schedule that person for hours that add up to $9K per year then yes..Uncle Sam paid their salary for one year.

I did not say in all cases but if they play their cards right than they can certainly schedule so that happens.
9k? If Wal-Mart hires a disabled veteran and gives him a job making a minimum of $24,000 a year, they get 9k.

For someone who says they follow the money trail, you don't do a good job of researching your "money trail".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies