Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:45 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,687 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, we did all the rituals for America. Face the flag and Pledge every school morning. Read the sanitized history books about how "our forefathers" landed on Plymouth Rock and struggled to survive the first winter and were helped by the Indians (no mention that by the 2nd winter they killed all the Indians). All the BS we were fed as kids. But later in life when I went to prison, one thing you have alot of in prison is time. And I used my time to read lots of books and other publications. And I learned about the real USA. And what amazes me is that everything today is pretty much connected to history. The fact is that the USA is not even a real country. It is a piece of land with a collection of people that do not even like each other much. As a life long resident of Illinois, I do not have anything in common with people in Alabama. In fact, most of us in northern Illinois have nothing in common with people in southern Illinois. And people in California have little in common with people here or there. Being the 4th generation of Italy, I feel I have more in common with Europeans or even Canada then I do many Americans. Most real nations are made of people that share a common heritage, common language, and common beliefs and values. This one is not. I don't think it is a real nation. It is many small nations on one piece of land
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,497,250 times
I think the question underscores the need to define ourselves. There are times that demand a reexamination of our values; and, more fundamentally, what we stand for as Americans. Do we stand for freedom and equality? Freedom and equality are ideals; but, absent a perfect world, no one can live in society and be entirely free or completely equal. For every freedom there is a corresponding obligation to others, and equality is limited to the extent that such obligations are mutual, and others do not demand rights without responsibility for their exercise. In this, the promise of America is not freedom and equality, but rather liberty and equal opportunity and justice under law. However, such promise cannot be kept when government instituted by men favors the few in derogation of the many, or serves the special interests at the expense of the public interest, and when the rich and powerful can have more justice than the poor and oppressed.

America is a nation of laws and not men. But the law can be both used and abused by men; and so it is the duty and responsibility of every citizen to oversee those that make and enforce the laws and administer justice lest our democratic institutions be turned into a tyranny over us.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Most real nations are made of people that share a common heritage, common language, and common beliefs and values. This one is not. I don't think it is a real nation. It is many small nations on one piece of land
Well, that was true decades ago, most nations today are mixed populations. This includes all of Europe.

Being a "true" nation (whatever that is) has more to it than being a homogenous population.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:37 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
When I was a kid, we did all the rituals for America. Face the flag and Pledge every school morning. Read the sanitized history books about how "our forefathers" landed on Plymouth Rock and struggled to survive the first winter and were helped by the Indians (no mention that by the 2nd winter they killed all the Indians). All the BS we were fed as kids. But later in life when I went to prison, one thing you have alot of in prison is time. And I used my time to read lots of books and other publications. And I learned about the real USA. And what amazes me is that everything today is pretty much connected to history. The fact is that the USA is not even a real country. It is a piece of land with a collection of people that do not even like each other much. As a life long resident of Illinois, I do not have anything in common with people in Alabama. In fact, most of us in northern Illinois have nothing in common with people in southern Illinois. And people in California have little in common with people here or there. Being the 4th generation of Italy, I feel I have more in common with Europeans or even Canada then I do many Americans. Most real nations are made of people that share a common heritage, common language, and common beliefs and values. This one is not. I don't think it is a real nation. It is many small nations on one piece of land
Look at Canada: it's worse than the US with Quebec demanding French. Look at Mexico: the parts by the US border don't have much in common with the Mayan Indians, tho they're still "Mexican" down by Guatemala. Italy: the ones up north have little in common with the Sicilians except the Italian language. And so on.

It ain't just the US you're talking about.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Look at Canada: it's worse than the US with Quebec demanding French. .
Quebec is not "demanding" French. Quebec has always been mainly French. At least since it's been permanently settled.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
America is an empire in decline.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

yep, only a matter of time before it fragments into several seperate countries.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
You should travel more and read less. As you go about the country you see so much homogeneity that it can make you sad. Our regional diversity is, in fact, disappearing into a sea of Walmarts, Chilis and McDonalds. Our malls have the same stores, our kids all listen to the same music, wear the same clothes and have the same cell phone apps.

Culturally, we all speak the same language including idiomatic expressions, laugh at the same humor, watch American Idol and the same TV programs, the same movies, and the same music. Millions upon millions of us will sit down and watch a football game on Sunday and talk about it for a couple days. It is a sport that only we play (not counting Canadian football) and it is our favorite. We all have or want stainless and granite. We dream the same dreams for our children and ourselves. We have far, far more in common than in difference. In fact, we are so insular and similar in our Americanism that we don't know or care much about other countries or their culture.

I don't know, maybe you mean politically? There are some regional political differences but most of that is at the fringes. The moderate majority is the moderate majority throughout the land and shares much of the same values. Look at the polls. The extremists may not like them if they don't agree with what they show but they do show that majorities of people from across the country agree on most issues.

I live in a metro area that is, probably more than any other in the US, a city of people from other states. We don't have Alabama neighborhoods, or California ones. We all seem to get along just fine and coming from a common cultural background and country have no problems whatsoever mingling and living together.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-01-2013 at 07:35 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
no empire has ever lasted forever, the USA as an empire shall not last forever either. all past empires have boken up when they dissolve, it will be the same when it happens to the USA.

whether it is without bloodshed remains to be seen.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When there is no unity groups push for Autonomy and separate accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies