Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM

129 posts, read 81,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you didn't answer the question, just started spewing some of your own.

here it is again:

how will this not affect the millions of lawful gun owners who currently own 'assault weapons' and magazines with a capacity greater than 10?

considering that you stated previously -

The better question is name ONE criminal who gives a f***?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Some of this isn't as stuipd as I anticipated:
Quote:

The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
Gee, adding the mentally ill to the NICS database, what a radical idea. Haven't we heard that somewhere before? In will be entertaining to see the libbies get all up in arms about protecting the privacy of the insane.

Read more: List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan | Fox News

Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM

29,499 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you didn't answer the question, just started spewing some of your own.

here it is again:

how will this not affect the millions of lawful gun owners who currently own 'assault weapons' and magazines with a capacity greater than 10?

considering that you stated previously -

I keep asking for facts as well and get nothing in reply. They just want to keep passing judgement on things they know nothing of.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
It is is I have not got my ration of high-capacity magazines or my rocket launcher from China is on back order.

I can switch out three low-capacity magazines almost as fast as it takes to unload a high-capacity magazine that will probably jam anyway. I will lose many 5 seconds max.
So it's not a big deal then. Why the outcry?

I don't get it, 20 years ago guns were not as powerful or accurate and the big clips were not really available.

Were gun rights people marching in the street demanding them?

This is an evolving issue. The guns can be restricted by law.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Guns were banned at Sandy Hook elementary...did that work?

Guns were banned at Columbine...did that work?

Handguns have been banned for decades in the city of Chicago...did that work?

Handguns have been banned in DC for decades...did that work?

Pot is banned throughout the country by federal law...did that work?

We had a ban on scary black rifles for 10 years...approved weapons under the Clinton ban were used at Columbine...did that work?

Criminals ignore laws against murder, mugging, robbery...but are somehow going to follow new gun laws???? Really?

There is a word for doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Think yours is the only common sense post here.

Put it to you the way the criminal scumbag animal monster who killed one of my realitive said, he with intent to kill will use his bare hands, if needed. He used a knife to stab my cousin over and over and over again.

Another case the judge let the scumbag of the earth out way to early, and killed another memeber of my family, different case, and it was planned. He did blow her brains away, and those scars have stayed with me my whole life.

Both cases, although different, the criminal intent was to kill, and hurt and bring heartache to a innocent family. Both cases, the criminal said he would of used anything to silence the victims. And that crimianls don't have problems getting a hold of guns, which most of us with a brain already know.

Point criminals don't give a damn about bans, or any laws, and never will they have a problem getting guns.

Put all the bans out there on this or that, regulations, laws, criminals are probably laughing right now.

Having had two loving caring family members murdered in their own home, your going to ask me, if i think decent citizens have a right to not bear arms, you better think again, long and hard, if you are the one to have to I.D. the dead body, that is something you will never forget. Put yourself in this situation, and you change your views.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay.. believe what ever you want. Doesn't Mexico have some pretty strict gun restrictions on it's citizens ? Using your logic there should be ZERO gun violence in Mexico right ?
First what I wrote has nothing to do with belief. The reality is that the government keeps machine guns out of the hands of criminals. The reality is that government keeps rocket launchers, biological weapons, etc out of the hands of criminals. This is objective reality.

So when gun nuts say weapons bans don't work to prevent criminals from getting those weapons, there is ample evidence that they are lying and wrong.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
If I walk into a gun store and demand an M4 Carbine, the same weapons the Seals use are they infringing my rights when they tell me it's not available?

Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Guns were banned at Sandy Hook elementary...did that work?

Guns were banned at Columbine...did that work?

Handguns have been banned for decades in the city of Chicago...did that work?

Handguns have been banned in DC for decades...did that work?

Pot is banned throughout the country by federal law...did that work?

We had a ban on scary black rifles for 10 years...approved weapons under the Clinton ban were used at Columbine...did that work?

Criminals ignore laws against murder, mugging, robbery...but are somehow going to follow new gun laws???? Really?

There is a word for doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

the reality is that weapon bans do work I listed the weapons that the government very effectively keeps out of the hands of criminals. A single city or school or District can not ban a weapon, but the federal government can ban weapons.

Again if the government couldn't effectively ban weapons then why are machine guns not in the hands of criminals? Why don't criminals have tanks, or rocket launchers or biological weapons? How can the government ban all of those weapons and not certain types of guns?

Of course it could. It is doing it right now.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-16-2013 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 AM

1,137 posts, read 972,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If I walk into a gun store and demand an M4 Carbine, the same weapons the Seals use are they infringing my rights when they tell me it's not available?
Nope, private businesses and individuals do not adhere to the Constitution.

Same thing as if you walked into a gun store and started yelling about how great you thought Obama was. That business owner is perfectly within his rights to remove you from his property.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM

129 posts, read 81,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So it's not a big deal then. Why the outcry?

I don't get it, 20 years ago guns were not as powerful or accurate and the big clips were not really available.

Were gun rights people marching in the street demanding them?

This is an evolving issue. The guns can be restricted by law.
20 years ago? LMAO

I take it you never heard of John Browning. He died in 1926.

You also never heard of Eugene Stoner. He designed the AR-10 for Armalite in the 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies