Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times

Advertisements

From what I have read these restrictions are pretty much just reinforcing present laws and re instituting a ban on assault weapons and high capacity mags that were put in place by previous GOP, NRA friendly presidents.

He's even going to offer federal money for armed guards in schools.

So why all the panic? All the Obama hysteria by the gun owners? Do they panic like this over other things in their lives?

Wow is all I have to say.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/16/politi...html?hpt=hp_t2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
All the Obama hysteria by the gun owners?
Because, despite all the macho posing, most gun nutters are hysterical little girls.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Why don't we ALL just wait and see what the President proposes?

Everything at this point is only conjecture - this OP included.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,777 times
The epic spazz out is hilarious...did they freak out like this when Clinton banned assault rifles? No? Hmmmmm wonder why?...

Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
Quote:
From what I have read these restrictions are pretty much just reinforcing present laws and re instituting a ban on assault weapons and high capacity mags that were put in place by previous GOP, NRA friendly presidents.

So why all the panic? All the Obama hysteria by the gun owners? Do they panic like this over other things in their lives?

Details emerge on gun control proposal coming Wednesday - CNN.com
They only sound "moderate" to people like yourself who would love a total ban.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:

First, Clinton...wasn't part of the GOP. I do have to wonder though, Clinton wanted to provide armed guards in schools...yet now that the NRA supports this, it is somehow a stupid idea, according to Democrats. I guess you actually admit that Clinton was a terrible leader in this regard.

The reason gun owners oppose the things that Obama proposes is:
1) The Clinton ban SHOWED THAT THEY DIDN'T WORK. With the expiration of the ban, violent crime declined. Rifles of all types are used in less than 2% of murders. Gun owners were willing to run the experimient, with a sunset clause...the experiment showed that such laws were useless.

2) Magazine bans do nothing to reduce violent crime...all they do is reduce the honest person's ability to defend themselves. If they made things "safer"...why were cops exempted? Why does the Secret Service have semi-autos (and autos) with standard capacity magazines? Unlike a homeowner faced with a threat, a cop has a radio, can call for backup at any time, usually is accompanied by another cop...and rarely is a target for criminals. Criminals KNOW cops are armed, they don't know with the typical civilian. If we were to restrict semi-autos and magazines for anyone we should start with LE, right?

3) The idea that criminal, selling a stolen or sumggled gun to another crimial, would decide that, because of this law, they need to walk into a gun store and do a NICS check to make the transfer...is foolish beyond belief to anyone with any sense.

4) The idea that a criminal that would ignore laws against murder, mugging, assault, armed robbery or rape, would somehow choose to obey gun laws...boggles the mind.

5) The AR-15 in particular is the most popular and largest selling platform of rifle in the country. Their numbers have grown greatly in the last 2 decades (heck, in the last 2 weeks). While violent crime has decreased. More owners are unwilling to give up their possessions or face restrictions that serve no purpose, other than political points with the weak minded.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,965 times
Quote:

The hysterical reaction of conservatives to everything that President Obama does is not about public policy. President Obama's very physical being embodies the demographic change of the type of Americans that many conservatives hate.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The hysterical reaction of conservatives to everything that President Obama does is not about public policy. President Obama's very physical being embodies the demographic change of the type of Americans that many conservatives hate.
Wahhahaha...there we go again. More evidence that liberalism really is a mental disease.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 AM

29,445 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:

Like someone already said, they are only "moderate" to the un informed. If it was only a restriction on so called high cap magazines that would be one thing. It goes much further than that, I'm a gun enthusiast and am having a hard time deciphering all the legal speak so I really can't see how you understand it at all. For instance. I am a collect 1911's , as far as I know there isn't a 7 round mag available at the moment for a 10mm 1911. So therefore that makes my gun about as usefull as a paperweight. I won't even get into the semi auto rifle and shotgun part of it.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I think you may be onto something there. I think that these folks lining up at Walmart and other gun outlets spending their children's college fund by overpaying for ammo and guns are literally in a panic that they are losing their way of life largely due to their own xenophobic feelings totally founded in fantasy.

No one wants your guns. But we do want to keep them out of the wrong hands. I think gun owners would agree with that.

So how do we do that in a country of 350 million souls? Most who don't own guns and don't understand the obsession with guns in this country by a minority group.

I personally feel that guns should be banned in large cities. There is just too much carnage and fallout for the little bit of good that they actually do. If you take a shot at someone that you think is threatening you, chances are you'll hit an innocent person. It's just not worth it.

But people in the country who are more isolated, absolutely they need guns. I saw a story of a rancher who lived on the Mexican border. I cannot imagine him not being armed with what is going on around him. I felt so bad for the guy, he should be living a peaceful life but he is under daily assault by illegals crossing his property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies