Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM

94 posts, read 76,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Yah while so much of the right doesn't even bother with tolerance.
Maybe in your own deluded mind. I'm just saying, if the left is going to promote tolerance, then they should learn how to handle differing opinions without acting like a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 05:17 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
All the things the OP believes in can't be accomplished while "living within our means" and "fiscal responsibility".

Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
The OP is right about one thing - the right (more so the Republican party) needs to change or else they will lose influence barring a major screwup by the Democrats (which is entirely possible - it has happened before).

The OP's views though are not moderate. They are classic liberal positions.

The Republicans need to recognize changing demographics. They need to:

- take the lead on tax reform as the basis of revenue/spending changes; radically simplify the tax code so that deductions, loopholes, etc. disappear. Rates must be lowered when deductions go away.
- find a way to both limit new immigration and give some existing illegals a path to citizenship
- stop talking about religion
- stop talking about rape
- accept registration of gun owners
- cut the defense when they cut social programs
- take the lead on cutting crony capitalism

Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,673,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danglecity8819 View Post
Maybe in your own deluded mind. I'm just saying, if the left is going to promote tolerance, then they should learn how to handle differing opinions without acting like a child.
You have a problem with the children? Now I know youre not tolerant.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The OP is right about one thing - the right (more so the Republican party) needs to change or else they will lose influence barring a major screwup by the Democrats (which is entirely possible - it has happened before).

- take the lead on tax reform as the basis of revenue/spending changes; radically simplify the tax code so that deductions, loopholes, etc. disappear. Rates must be lowered when deductions go away.
- find a way to both limit new immigration and give some existing illegals a path to citizenship
I agree with all those points. Except maybe the gun owner part. I see no particular benefit to registering guns except to give people a false sense of security. But I think in general the right can moderate on certain things while keeping the core of small government and individual responsibility intact. It's when people say we need to start taking on liberal philosophy like supporting government run healthcare just to get votes that I say no thanks.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Why in the world should we offer a path to citizenship for millions who thumbed their noses at our immigration laws especially wit 23 million Americans out of work and our economy in the tubes? I mean it worked so well in 1986, right? Now we have at least 4 times that number amnestied. When do these amnesties end?

Stop talking about religion? Last I looked we have freedom of speech in this country. Stop talking about rape? WTH? I only know of one Republican who did that.

Changing demographics? What has that to do with the issues? Aren't we all Americans bound by the same laws and moraltiy and the same desire to keep our country strong?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Yah cuz anchor babies is not a deragatory term. I thought you all were prolife? Aren't babies just babies? Maybe you'd like to throw them in jail too?
No, it isn't a deragatory term. It just means that their illegal parents have anchored themselves unto our country via giving birth on our soil. Anchor baby is an ample description. Stop spinning with your "babies are just babies" BS. These babies should be citizens of their parent's countries, not ours. How does that change the fact that they are babies? What does being pro-life have to do with it? I am not suggesting that we abort anchor babies. Oh, and the final stupid remark...now I want to throw kids in jail? Grow up and debate like an adult and address the subject instead of hurling insults around.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Changing demographics? What has that to do with the issues?
As we speak, at the national level, the GOP is in the wilderness. If they fail to adapt to changing demographics, the future is even worse than the present for them.

Did you enjoy 2009, one party rule? I hope so, as it is coming again no later than Jan, 2017.

One has to know when to hold them, and when to fold them. On several issues, if the GOP does not choose option 2, very soon it will not even have any other opinions considered.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,673,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, it isn't a deragatory term. It just means that their illegal parents have anchored themselves unto our country via giving birth on our soil. Anchor baby is an ample description. Stop spinning with your "babies are just babies" BS. These babies should be citizens of their parent's countries, not ours. How does that change the fact that they are babies? What does being pro-life have to do with it? I am not suggesting that we abort anchor babies. Oh, and the final stupid remark...now I want to throw kids in jail? Grow up and debate like an adult and address the subject instead of hurling insults around.
Old glory...meet new reality.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
No, the teabaggers and wingnuts will NEVER learn. They can't. This is particualrly true in the deep South, which I mention since Southerners have firm control of the testicles of all the cowardly Washington Repugnican 'leaders.'.

Look at history.

The Country had to go to war with the South in order to end slavery, even though by 1860 every other civilized first world country had long since abolished slavery.

We needed the Scopes trial in 1925 to even be able to teach Science, in the deep South.

It took until 1965, and dozens of Supreme Court ruling, to finally get rid of the Jim Crow laws. The National Guard was necessary to insure the rights of Southern Blacks to even attend the same Colleges and schools, as whites.

Even today, Southern States routinely Gerrymander voting districts, pass voter suppression laws, and often refuse to expand voting windows, as is common in the rest of the Coutry.

To this day, there is a high school in Jacksonville Florida named Nathan Bedford Forrest High. (Forrest was the founder, and initial Grand Dragon of the KKK) Today, this school is 55% black. Although there have been several attempts to get this schools name changed, all efforts have failed, with the standard argument given by the predominately white school board, "he is part of our heritage, and should be honored." Can anyone image a predominately Jewish, Adolph Hitler high school?

The point is that, at no time in its entire history has the conservative South EVER done the right thing on its own. In every case, they had to be forced into doing what any reasonable person with an IQ over 80, understood as common sense. They simply can't change. They're too ignorant, too bigoted, too scared, and too self serving.

And so it remains today. They're so sure of themselves, that they've actually managed to talk themselves into thinking that all of their radical beliefs are a matter of principle, and that only they can personally save America from the Kenyan Devil.

So, today you get them arguing the following................
1. All American born children of illegal immagrants, should to be kicked out of the Country.
2. Gays are the work of the Devil, and must be discriminated against, at every opportunity.
3. Give the rich everything they want. In turn, they PROMISE to trickle some crumbs down to the masses.
4. Every American should have the right to own automatic weapons, as the founding fathers intended.
5. Anyone that isn't a Protestant Evangelical, must be a Communist Atheist, and should be feared.
6. Anyone that has lost their health insurance due to job downsizing, pre existing conditions, or increased insurance premium costs, deserves whatever sickness they get, and should be allowed to die.
7. Any war, is a good war.
8. Any attempt of any kind to change America in any way, from the way it was in 1859, is a direct afront to their God given American way of life.
9. Pro life before any birth, and could not care less, after the baby is born.
10. Everything on Earth was put here by God, specifically to satisfy their own greed, gluttony, and blood lust.
11. All science is the work of the Devil, and is just another excuse to attack their American way of life.
12. Education is just another example of the liberals attempt to brainwash all Americans.

You are correct, that America has reached a tipping point, and the majority of Americans will no longer allow themselves to be manipulated by the right wing politics of fear and ignorance. The Republicans are just too extreme. Fortunately for us, the Republican party's reaction to the resounding Democratic victory in November is further proof that they just don't get it, and they probably never will. They don't have, and never will have a plan B. They remind me of people that simply speak louder when talking to someone that doesn't speak English. It's as if they think maybe we just haven't heard them the first time, so this time they'll yell a little louder. It never occurs to them, that THEY are the problem. Arrogant fools. But, in this case that's a good thing, as it only ensures continued Democratic party rule.

Truest. Post. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies