Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 PM

52 posts, read 33,860 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever wondered WHY the FBI does the NICS background checks?

I've got my theories! HeHeHe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 PM

52 posts, read 33,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
Off topic, started by bush admin. You didn't answer the question.
Sure, it's always GW's fault. Tell it to Eric Holder....if he stays out of jail and keeps his job.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
We need at least 20,000 more gun laws, that's what we need to do in order to solve this. If treating our social problems by ceaselessly growing a bureaucratic juggernaut of legislation isn't the American way, well by golly I don't know what is!

Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 AM

724 posts, read 593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermatic240 View Post
Sure, it's always GW's fault. Tell it to Eric Holder....if he stays out of jail and keeps his job.
"There is one mitigating factor, however: A program similar to Fast and Furious did go forward under the Bush administration in 2006 and 2007. That program, called Operation Wide Receiver, also attempted to track suspicious weapons. Allowing gun sales to go forward even when the ATF had probable cause to believe the sales were unlawful has come to be known as "gun walking."

The two operations -- Fast and Furious and Wide Receiver -- had some similarities, and both were run out of the ATF’s Phoenix Field Division. The inspector general explored both programs in depth and found similar problems."

Like I said, Bush

Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
I find this information to be a revelation worthy of marching in the streets, But apparently I'm boring you people.
Saw that last night--mind blowing. I'm not a responsible gun owner, yet I regularly advocate and am willing to fight for the right of sane people to own any type of firearm they want. So when I hear right-wing nut-jobs chest-thumping about the constitution (that they know nothing about), or start threatening civil war, or like in this case, complain about how we have too many laws as is, it does a great disservice to responsible gun owners who actually give a ****.

The de facto mindset of this appears to be that which overshadows all of their yelling: I've got mine, so go **** yourself.

It comes in taxes and healthcare, how dare you charge me three dollars a month so poor people don't die in the street.,

In comes in reasonable regulation, how dare you run a background check to prevent Johny McPsychopath from buying a handgun.

Someone a while ago put this mindset into an analogy of a right-winger and a left-winger driving down the road in a car when it runs out of gas. The left-winger gets out of the car and walks to go get gas, while the right-winger sits and fumes about how they should have filled up before they embarked and it's the left-wingers fault for running out of gas and now they can't go anywhere and...
They aren't interested in discussing logistics of how to make things work, they just want to sit in the back of the car and complain about how we're out of gas. Meanwhile, the left-winger is bothering to solve the problem, at his own expense.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:36 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
We need at least 20,000 more gun laws, that's what we need to do in order to solve this. If treating our social problems by ceaselessly growing a bureaucratic juggernaut of legislation isn't the American way, well by golly I don't know what is!
Another 20,000 easily cicumvented gun laws wouldn`t help.You`re correct.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Jon Stewart Takes On NRA Over ATF Limitations On Enforcing Existing Gun Laws (VIDEO)

As the New York Times reported last week, ATF has been operating without a permanent director for six years, mostly because the Senate has stalled confirmation proceedings. ATF's budget has remained stagnant throughout a post-9/11 period in which almost all other law enforcement and national security endeavors have been showered with resources.
And ATF's mission has been undermined in myriad other ways by acts of Congress. For example, ATF is prohibited from creating a national registry of gun transactions. Its agents cannot make more than one unannounced inspection of a licensed gun dealer each year.
Records on background checks of gun buyers must be destroyed within 24 hours. ATF is limited in its ability to share tracing information on guns linked to crimes with local and state agencies.
Moreover, there is something terribly out of whack with an antiterrorism policy that creates a "watch list" of people who are considered too dangerous to board an airplane ... yet those same people can legally buy deadly weapons. And Congress has been too timid to confront that contradiction.

Read more: ATF left toothless on enforcing gun laws - SFGate

WTF PEOPLE! As usual I have to get the real story from the daily show. How could this be possible? Does anybody really think this is a good thing?

ATF? who is the ATF................OH! you must be talking about f-troop!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Another 20,000 easily cicumvented gun laws wouldn`t help.You`re correct.

Congressmen have made sure that ATF was incapable of enforcement, why would you not expect them to be circumvented. Things like the investigation of illegal transfer are really non-existent, you would thinkthat these good congressmen would have an interest in stemming the flow of illegal arms, yet they have a restriction that dealers can only be investigated once a year.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
I would hope that congressmen, the NRA, gunowners and citizens would see this as an issue.

Quote:
A recent analysis of U.S. firearm commerce uncovered that only 1% of licensed dealers were responsible for nearly 60% of guns traced to crime. Responding to the need for improved regulations, Center experts consulted to help develop a 10-point gun dealer code of conduct adopted by Wal-Mart in 2008. This set of policies includes mandatory video recording of all firearm transactions, a computerized log of crime gun traces relating to the retailer, criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms, and strict control of firearm inventory. Center research has continued to be used by mayors and state legislators to develop and advocate for policies to reduce criminally obtained illegal guns

Gun Trafficking - Research - Center for Gun Policy and Research - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would hope that congressmen, the NRA, gunowners and citizens would see this as an issue.

Gun Trafficking - Research - Center for Gun Policy and Research - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

it does look like you do not include the results of how much of the government is responsible for gun trafficking as well.

after all, it is the obama administration that was responsible for american border agents to be murdered by firearms they allowed to go to mexican cartels.

tell me that the liberal media would have not crucified a republican administration that would have done the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies