Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Thank God for law abiding citizens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I sleep alone in an adjustable bed because of health. I have sleep apnea and my wife doesn't want to have to listen to the C-PAP machine running.
Buy really good locks. Security doors. Loud dog.

You being in another room waving your gun around will do your wife (in another room) absolutely NO good. By the time you get all that stuff off your face and out of your adjustable bed whomever is breaking down your door has a bead on you. You have a right to own it. But thinking the gun is going to save you is just not smart thinking.

Unless what you want is the chance to plug a bad guy. Or the cops who came over to tell you your neighbor hasn't heard from you and they're doing a well-being check.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM

266 posts, read 402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Do you have any evidence to support your quavering fears? Or just the fears themselves?

I didn't think so.

A car is just as capable of killing dozens of people at a time, as a gun. And people have become quite "comfortable" with seeing, and even using cars.

Were you about to point out how many people have used cars to mow down people on public sidewalks, parking lots, etc?

Sounds to me like your quavering fears of people using deadly weapons to actually kill people, are unfounded.

The only problem I see here is, YOUR fear and paranoia keeps you from realizing this is true.

Again, have you sought help?

LOL, you make zero sense. It's actually quite dumbfounding.

Your comparison is weak, as is your argument. What are you proposing? That everyone should walk around carrying rifles until it doesn't freak us out anymore? Until we see it as "normal"? That is beyond absurd and you are wishing for another civil war. You won't let go of this whole "being used to seeing it" thing, so that must be your suggestion.

If we see a car swerving or driving erratically, we are cautious as well and assume that they have been drinking, are texting/playing on phone, or just irresponsible. We make bad judgments of them because they are making bad decisions. More people are killed from cars because people drive all the time and cars are everywhere. What does that say for your presumed opinion that rifles should be everywhere?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Do you have any evidence to support your quavering fears? Or just the fears themselves?

I didn't think so.

A car is just as capable of killing dozens of people at a time, as a gun. And people have become quite "comfortable" with seeing, and even using cars.

Were you about to point out how many people have used cars to mow down people on public sidewalks, parking lots, etc?

Sounds to me like your quavering fears of people using deadly weapons to actually kill people, are unfounded.

The only problem I see here is, Your fear and paranoia keeps you from realizing this is true.

Again, have you sought help?
How about some examples of people intentionally using cars to kill dozens of innocent citizens at one time? Just a few examples of people intentionally using a car to murder other people?

So, the recent shooting of the school children is just my imagination? My caution is unnecessary you say based on an unfounded "fear"?

Btw, you don't need a comma after the word "is" above. You could have used a colon after the "is" and been correct, or you could have just put no punctuation mark at all and been correct.

Additionally, I do own a gun and know how to use it. I'm not anti gun at all. I have a healthy respect for guns. Although I think it may be legal to walk around in a crowd carrying a Cobra on your shoulders, I would certainly not get near a person doing such a thing. That would be a healthy respect and fear of something very dangerous.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Idiotic attention *****.

Agreed.

Give it a rest Cindy!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
LOL, you make zero sense. It's actually quite dumbfounding.

Your comparison is weak, as is your argument. What are you proposing? That everyone should walk around carrying rifles until it doesn't freak us out anymore? Until we see it as "normal"? That is beyond absurd and you are wishing for another civil war. You won't let go of this whole "being used to seeing it" thing, so that must be your suggestion.

If we see a car swerving or driving erratically, we are cautious as well and assume that they have been drinking, are texting/playing on phone, or just irresponsible. We make bad judgments of them because they are making bad decisions. More people are killed from cars because people drive all the time and cars are everywhere. What does that say for your presumed opinion that rifles should be everywhere?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I live in an open carry state in a rural area where it is not unusual to see people carrying. Usually in the form of a pistol strapped to their leg. I've never seen anyone with a rifle strapped to their back.

If I saw that guy in a store I'd be out of there in a nanno second.
I also live in an open carry State. You can also conceal carry without a permit in Alaska. The firearms I use are a bit big for concealed carry, and I have no need or desire to hide whatever I am carrying. I usually will carry a shotgun and have a sidearm strapped to my hip. However, if I am going into a store or restaurant, I leave the shotgun in my vehicle, and wear my loaded sidearm into the store/restaurant. It is also a very common occurrance in Alaska, and one where only the out-of-State tourists will give you looks as if your head is spinning around. Nobody who lives in Alaska cares.

In fact, if you go hiking, fishing, or camping anywhere in Alaska and are not armed for bear, we will think you are crazy and start preparing your body-bag. Hoplophobes can be very entertaining, not very bright, but entertaining nonetheless.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:13 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The bit i understand is to keep and bear arms for use in a well regulated Militia.... not as a "fashion statement" for morons.

Read it again Professor geeoro.

The right to keep and bear arms is a right of the people, not a right of the militia.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:15 PM

266 posts, read 402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I also live in an open carry State. You can also conceal carry without a permit in Alaska. The firearms I use are a bit big for concealed carry, and I have no need or desire to hide whatever I am carrying. I usually will carry a shotgun and have a sidearm strapped to my hip. However, if I am going into a store or restaurant, I leave the shotgun in my vehicle, and wear my loaded sidearm into the store/restaurant. It is also a very common occurrance in Alaska, and one where only the out-of-State tourists will give you looks as if your head is spinning around. Nobody who lives in Alaska cares.

In fact, if you go hiking, fishing, or camping anywhere in Alaska and are not armed for bear, we will think you are crazy and start preparing your body-bag. Hoplophobes can be very entertaining, not very bright, but entertaining nonetheless.
Alaska doesn't count in any gun debates. Lol jk.

And for the record, I'm not anti-gun at all either. But lines need to be drawn.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

I've been to Alaska. Alaska is DIFFERENT. There are not a lot of people in Alaska, it's mostly wilderness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies