Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 AM

29 posts, read 55,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How much more time? Even one more hour was too long. Why should blacks have waited until it "was on its way out" when whites were free right off the boat?

No, slavery wasn't on its way out. It would've went on a few decades longer at a minimum. Southerners didn't lose all of those thousands of soldiers only to ditch slavery had they won. Besides, their Bible said that slavery was ok.
In fact the issue was that the south wanted to EXPAND slavery out west. The North was willing to allow slavery to continue as long as the South agreed to abandon the plans for expansion. They (South) even wanted slavery expanded to Mexico and were in talks with the Mexican government. Slavery was their gold. Slaves allowed many a lazy slave owner to live a rich and prosperous lifestyle. They were not willing to give that lifestyle up so easily.

A lot if anti-Americans here, I see. Doesn't make me feel good as a veteran of our military to know that so many of you still exist.

Martin L. King... A great speaker and a great civil rights leader. But he was no saint. So haters like to pick at the negatives. That is all they ever do. Lol. I betcha some of you are the biggest womanizers and booze guzzlers of the century but you are unknowns so who cares, right? Smdh...

Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by not4nuthin View Post
In fact the issue was that the south wanted to EXPAND slavery out west. The North was willing to allow slavery to continue as long as the South agreed to abandon the plans for expansion. They (South) even wanted slavery expanded to Mexico and were in talks with the Mexican government. Slavery was their gold. Slaves allowed many a lazy slave owner to live a rich and prosperous lifestyle. They were not willing to give that lifestyle up so easily.
Whenever I hear the term "states' rights", I just shudder. Slavery was a major part of this. The first 6 states to secede had the higher percentages of their population enslaved. In South Carolina and Mississippi, both states had the higher percentages of slaves(slaves made up the majority of the population in both states).

And as for wanting to expand slavery, this can be found in the Articles of Secession. It surprises me that they would want to push it on Mexico though. Mexico was its own sovereign nation and it had abolished slavery.

Quote:
A lot if anti-Americans here, I see. Doesn't make me feel good as a veteran of our military to know that so many of you still exist.
As someone who has a family member who is also a veteran, I totally understand.

Quote:
Martin L. King... A great speaker and a great civil rights leader. But he was no saint. So haters like to pick at the negatives. That is all they ever do. Lol. I betcha some of you are the biggest womanizers and booze guzzlers of the century but you are unknowns so who cares, right? Smdh...
Character defamation is one tool alot of haters will use to justify their own hatred. Dr. King wasn't perfect, but neither were alot of other leaders in this nation.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,756,497 times
Default Happy Robert E Lee day

For folks in Arkansas,Georgia,Alabama and Mississippi! Yall got something worthwhile to cheer about today. If I had a cake I would make it for him. Can't wait for Confederate Memorial Day.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,650 times
I'm celebrating nation squirrel appreciation day today!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
For folks in Arkansas,Georgia,Alabama and Mississippi! Yall got something worthwhile to cheer about today. If I had a cake I would make it for him. Can't wait for Confederate Memorial Day.
Keep dreaming because it won't happen.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,981 times
Quote:
His birthday passed , you are late.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
His birthday passed , you are late.
Actually, said user started a "Happy Birthday Robert E. Lee" thread a few days ago. It was locked after a short time.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Gee fella. I don't know how to break this news to you. Ya'all lost the war.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,877 times
I will go look at my collection of confederate notes and think of what could have been.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, said user started a "Happy Birthday Robert E. Lee" thread a few days ago. It was locked after a short time.
Isn't it a violation of TOS to repost threads after they have been closed??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies