Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

As the nation celebrates King's national holiday Monday, a new battle has erupted over his legacy. Some conservatives are saying it's time for them to reclaim the legacy of King, whose message of self-help, patriotism and a colorblind America, they say, was "fundamentally conservative."

But those who marched with King and studied his work say that notion is absurd. The political class that once opposed King, they argue, is now trying to distort his message.
King's most famous words are the crux of the disagreement.

"He was against all policies based on race," says Peter Schramm, a conservative historian. "The basis of his attack on segregation was 'judge us by the content of our character, not by the color of our skin.' That's a profound moral argument."

Taylor Branch, the Pulitzer Prize winning author of a trilogy on King, says some conservatives are invoking a phantom version of King to avoid dealing with contemporary racial issues.
Why conservatives call MLK their hero - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:09 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times
If conservatives really want to know what King was about they should ask Jesse Jackson & his son. I bet they would set the record straight...

Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,088,653 times
If MLK and his people would have depended on the democrat slave masters, they would still be on the plantations. Of course they are now, it's called the inner cities.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:49 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
If MLK and his people would have depended on the democrat slave masters, they would still be on the plantations. Of course they are now, it's called the inner cities.
Keep talking republican.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Said it before and I'll say it again:

King's "newfound" popularity with conservatives exists only because he's safe in his grave.

Besides, it's too late. Should've shown him love when he was alive. They knew he was right all along, so why the belated love?

I'm cool with the idea that modern day conservatives respect him and his legacy, but they can miss me with all the slavish praise and claims about him being "one of them.'

Also, miss me with the nonsense about him being a Republican. That means about as much as him eating Cheerios in the morning. Completely insignificant.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 2,579 times
The only thing Conservative about MLK was that he was a Christian.

However a Black Christian makes as much sense as a Jewish person being a Catholic after what happened in Germany.

- A Black Atheist

Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
I dont know many people trying to "reclaim" anything. I just think that some of us see King as a man who stood up for what needed to be stood up for, basic human rights that were given to blacks. He did so in a manner that really has to be respected.

What I dont think some of you on the left get, or many in the black community understand, is MLK I believe would have a big problem with some in the black community today, and many of its most outspoken people. People like Sharpton, Jackson, Samuel Jackson, etc etc etc. They look for every reason to view things as racist or not fair to blacks. They look for every reason to bash and blame white people for this and that. After all that has been accomplished since MLK, do you people really think MLK in todays world would approve of how people like I mentioned deal with and handle things? I certainly dont.

We've come a helluva long way since MLK's days. Yet it sure seems like many on the left want everyone to believe we havent. They want everyone to believe "the man" and white people are out to get them, bring them down, hold them back. Yet it is the Democrat party, and those people I mentioned, that seem to do all they can to keep up a victim hood mentality when if you want to be honest, everyone has opportunity and a chance in this country as long as they try.

Racism will never die. It exists and will never go away. But it also exists in every race. And overall, Id say things are pretty damn equal as far as race goes today. Except, we now have many in some communities who cant raise their children right, who continue to leave neighborhoods as slums and dangerous ghettos that most people try to avoid.

Not sure how you look at what MLK was fighting for and how he did it, and think he would approve of those who try to pretend to be like him today. You have to be ignorant or knowingly lying to yourselves.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,920,226 times
Anything for votes. They wont change their policies but will hire tokens, etc to give an illusion of tolerance. Right now MLK day is around to corner so they will forcefully try to connect their radical philosophy with MLKs, whether it makes sense or not. On Valentines day they will say they are the best lovers and "legitimate rape" is A-alright. During the election season they wanted to ride high on Bill Clintons popularity so Romney and the GOP were forcibly attaching themselves to Clinton so that some of his charm could rub off on their radical persona. They do this every single time because their ideology is too damn extreme for most normal people.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,920,226 times
Conservatives are also saying MLK would love Gun appreciation day if he were alive and that he was a gun enthusiast possessing massive amounts of firearms.

BTW, how did MLK die?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM

4 posts, read 2,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Conservatives are also saying MLK would love Gun appreciation day if he were alive and that he was a gun enthusiast possessing massive amounts of firearms.

BTW, how did MLK die?
If anything Malcolm X was for the 2nd Amendment and Conservatives hate Malcolm X.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies