Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times

Advertisements

People wring their hands and ask "how could this tragedy have been prevented?"

Well one way would have been if she had gotten rid of the guns in the home.

If you have a troubled young male in your house, you might want to do that.
I

Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

I
If you can recognize your young male is troubled. Many parents cannot see how troubled their kids actually are. And even if it is recognized, many parents believe they can handle their child's problems successfully. The fact is, most kids like Lanza who are troubled do get effective help when money isn't a big problem.

It's nice you are so prescient. If you have an angry young man in your house, will you clean out your guns today? Just in case?

I don't think so. Lots and lots of angry young men shoot their parents with the parent's guns. It happens daily somewhere in this country.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
It might mean the medications weren't working, or that the person was not taking them properly, or had suddenly stopped taking their meds.

There we go! There just might have been behavioral problems caused by the drugs he was prescribed.

Have you ever been prescribed Prozac, Paxil, Zolof, or any meds for ADHD?
Oy, logic fail. Study up, grasshopper, and get back to me.

I've taken Prozac, but do not now. I went off it cold turkey, and didn't even get cranky. It's the easiest of the SSRI's to discontinue.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

I
If she was a good mother she would have gotten rid of him when he turned 18. That would have avoided this tragedy just as well.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
This ^^^ sounds pretty paranoid to me. Of course the people investigating this incident can EASILY discover if he was prescribed any serious anti-psychotic drugs and whether or not he was taking those drugs. The ME can and I'm sure did determine what was in his blood.

How do you know one way or the other?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
We will never know the truth about the meds he was taking because it's not part of the agenda. I know most of you on this forum are young kids or lack the common sense needed to understand this.

If any of you were ever prescribed any of the mind altering drugs that were given to the majority of people who committed mass murders in the past 20 years or more you also would have a better understanding why these people were capable of doing what they did. But I know the MSM has not told you all these things so once again you are all clueless to the facts.
Tens of millions are prescribed mood altering meds all over the world. And yet, the U.S. seems to be the mass murder capital of the world. Why is this?

The Norway shooter has been described as a far right extremist, paranoid and was active on many internet forums opposing Islam and immigration. There is nothing to suggest he had been medicated during the 9 years he planned his terrorist attack which eventually killed 70 people.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-22-2013 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 05:55 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Tens of millions are prescribed mood altering meds all over the world. And yet, the U.S. seems to be the mass murder capital of the world. Why is this?
I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question because the answer is so simple that we shouldn't even ask. The rest of the developed countries in this world who are also high users of psychotropic drugs, like Canada,or Great Britain, or Japan, simply do not have the availability of guns that the U.S. does.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
He may have artificially MEANT to kill, but he may have been aced by all of the competitive assistance.
Either way the problem lies in his head, not in the guns.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
They BOTH killed people.
No the person.

What gun in a gun shop is going to kill someone on its own?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

The Norway shooter has been described as a far right extremist, paranoid and was active on many internet forums opposing Islam and immigration. There is nothing to suggest he had been medicated during the 9 years he planned his terrorist attack which eventually killed 70 people.
And after a through testing before his trial, he was found to be sane. Having divergent views on the internet does not mean you will be hunted down and medicated.

The thing is, the Norway shooter is not really a good comparison to Adam Lanza. Sadly, we need a better vocabulary on mass murder. The Norway shooter spent 9 years patiently preparing an act of terrorism, including getting guns from another country. He is more comparable to Timothy mcVeigh or the Unabomber. Nothing is going to stop someone like that from getting guns.

Adam Lanza was a 17-year old with poor emotion control, who snapped and had easy access to guns. In Norway he'd probably have ended up throwing rocks through the school windows or some other non-weaponized release of aggression. The possibility of getting a gun wouldn't have occurred to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies