Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Actually, a consensual act between a 16 & 33 year-old is NOT technically pedophilia - nor is it "molestation," so at least use proper terminology if you're going to spread these stories. And since I have never heard of nor researched these aspects of his personal life, I can't even say if you're correct about the details. Not that it matters, since we don't consider personal relationships of OTHER notable people with things named after them.

P.S. Funny you would say "even by today's standards," when 100+ years ago they were actually LESS inclined to raise an eyebrow at a 16yo/33yo relationship - in fact, that was probably considered a perfect match.
Depends on the state.
In Colorado anyone over 26 having an intimate relationship with a 16 year old is guilty of statutory rape.
So I guess your right, not pedophilia - rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So was Harvey Milk.
How so?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was an Atlanta preacher.
Yes, he was.

We celebrated his birthday a few days a go - doesn't that tell you something?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Everyone single person in the LGBT Community cares about Harvey Milk's accomplishments.
I have no doubt that he accomplished much - but what does his sexual preference have to do with anything?

Here in California - schools are required to teach curriculum concerning Harvey Milk. That is fine - the man served his city and county(the two are the same) honorably , and by all accounts he did a great job - yet they are also required to tell students about his sexual preferences.

That is absolutely ridiculous. What bearing does what a person does in a private bedroom have to do with his contributions to California history? No one needs to know about Milk's sex life, least of all elementary and middle school students.

Why can't teachers simply state what he did for the communities that he served and that he was murdered by a political opponent?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
It must really infuriate you that a gay person is receiving honors, awards, and recognition.
Nope - I don't care what person gets honors, awards, or recognition - so long as they have done something worthy of them.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Sick. But not surprising given the landscape over there.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Too hard to get back to the East Coast from San Jose or Oakland. I do prefer San Jose... Just can't use it consistently. Plus they don't have a Skyclub. Can't sit with the commonfolk
LOL.

And yes, it definitely depends on where you're going! I generally stick with SFO for the cross-country flights - except when I go to Baltimore, since they have a cheap (I think Southwest?) red-eye flight between SJ & BWI.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I have no doubt that he accomplished much - but what does his sexual preference have to do with anything?

Here in California - schools are required to teach curriculum concerning Harvey Milk. That is fine - the man served his city and county(the two are the same) honorably , and by all accounts he did a great job - yet they are also required to tell students about his sexual preferences.

That is absolutely ridiculous. What bearing does what a person does in a private bedroom have to do with his contributions to California history? No one needs to know about Milk's sex life, least of all elementary and middle school students.

Why can't teachers simply state what he did for the communities that he served and that he was murdered by a political opponent?
People who face prejudice and discrimination because of who they are or the community they are a part of and are brave enough to overcome it are extraordinary.

Some day, when these vestiges of hate and ignorance disappear, no one will care if you are male or female, black, brown, red, or white, Buddhist, Hindu, Christian, Jewish, handicapped, gay, bi, straight. On that day we will all have equal opportunity and will not have to fear bigotry.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Nope - I don't care what person gets honors, awards, or recognition - so long as they have done something worthy of them.
I was very happy that recently the city of Manchester, England erected a bronze statue to the brilliant mathematician Alan Turing - the guy who broke the German Enigma Code in WW2 (contributed to the Allied victory) and considered a grandfather of the computer. Turing was also gay.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
I don't believe you are actually this dense, since you generally understand basic logic... but since you're either being intentionally obtuse, or really don't get it, I will spell it out for you very simply. How would a person be a pioneer of gay rights if their sexual orientation wasn't known and/or relevant? How would they be the first openly gay supervisor if they were heterosexual? That's like asking how Sally Ride's gender mattered, in terms of her being honored as the first female astronaut. Again I will give you a for asking such obvious questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies