Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I was very happy that recently the city of Manchester, England erected a bronze statue to the brilliant mathematician Alan Turing - the guy who broke the German Enigma Code in WW2 (contributed to the Allied victory) and considered a grandfather of the computer. Turing was also gay.
How weird... I was just doing my book orders (for the library) earlier today, and there's a new book on Turing's life being released soon. I ordered it for my branch!

P.S. I'd never even heard his name before today, or if I did, I wasn't aware of who he was. I quickly read up on his life before ordering the book, and it was quite the tragic story. So glad we've progressed (at least some of us) since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
People who face prejudice and discrimination because of who they are or the community they are a part of and are brave enough to overcome it are extraordinary.

Some day, when these vestiges of hate and ignorance disappear, no one will care if you are male or female, black, brown, red, or white, Buddhist, Hindu, Christian, Jewish, handicapped, gay, bi, straight. On that day we will all have equal opportunity and will not have to fear bigotry.
What are you talking about?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I was very happy that recently the city of Manchester, England erected a bronze statue to the brilliant mathematician Alan Turing - the guy who broke the German Enigma Code in WW2 (contributed to the Allied victory) and considered a grandfather of the computer. Turing was also gay.
Alan Turing was a great mathematician, a pioneer, and a notable conributor to the outcome of WW2 - no one disputes any of this.

What does his sexual preference have to do with any of that?

Are you trying to say that only gay people can be mathemeticians, crack codes, or do pioneering work in the development of new technology?

If so ...

Old 01-24-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
She has a transfer center on the Los Angeles Metro Rail named after her - where the Blue Line and Green Line meet in Watts.

Getting around Los Angeles by Rail/Stops and Facilities/Metro Rail Transfer Stations/Imperial-Wilmington - Wikibooks, open books for an open world
And I'm sure there are many racists who hated that decision, and wondered "why was SHE such a big deal?" But their opinions don't matter, since the people she impacted do think she was a big deal (and I agree). Why do you have a problem with honoring anyone, if the people want it that way? I don't actually think this proposal will pass, but let us decide - or move to the Bay Area, and then you can have a say in the matter.

Speaking of which, I wonder who will actually get to vote on this? Not sure if you're all aware, but the airport is actually located in San Bruno - which is part of San Mateo County, not San Francisco County. Wonder if they'll extend the vote to all local counties, or just SM? Hmmm.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't believe you are actually this dense, since you generally understand basic logic... but since you're either being intentionally obtuse, or really don't get it, I will spell it out for you very simply. How would a person be a pioneer of gay rights if their sexual orientation wasn't known and/or relevant? How would they be the first openly gay supervisor if they were heterosexual?
Once again - why does being the first openly gay supervisor matter?

Why do some people in this thread have such an obsession with what people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms - so much that they have to trumpet that information about people who otherwise did great things, standing alone from their sexual preferences?

This baffles me.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Alan Turing was a great mathematician, a pioneer, and a notable conributor to the outcome of WW2 - no one disputes any of this.

What does his sexual preference have to do with any of that?

Are you trying to say that only gay people can be mathemeticians, crack codes, or do pioneering work in the development of new technology?

If so ...
right back at you, since only somebody with NO knowledge of his life would ask such a thing. I've only been aware of him since earlier today, and even I know the impact his homosexuality had... to the point where he was arrested and convicted, FORCED to take estrogen for one year, stripped of his official connections, even accused of being a communist spy. Despite all of that, he refused to denounce his homosexual identity or apologize for anything. His death was also very suspicious, and some believe it was suicide linked to these consequences of being gay.

Now do you think it was "irrelevant" to his life story? You can't even claim it had no connection to his scientific achievements, seeing as his research was halted & suppressed following the arrest. Maybe if the UK hadn't been so anti-gay/oppressive at the time, he would have contributed even MORE to our technological advances?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
How weird... I was just doing my book orders (for the library) earlier today, and there's a new book on Turing's life being released soon. I ordered it for my branch!

P.S. I'd never even heard his name before today, or if I did, I wasn't aware of who he was. I quickly read up on his life before ordering the book, and it was quite the tragic story. So glad we've progressed (at least some of us) since then.
I learned about Alan Turing a long time a go. My education is partially based in electronics so naturally I learned about his work in the development of computers - I have also studied history - and am well aware of his cryptography work.

I did not know that he was gay when I learned this - and I think that the man's accomplishments stand for themself to this day.

So, this is why I am baffled. Why do so many people on this forum feel compelled to make a point about the man's sexual preferences?

This makes no sense.

What possible correlation can there be between him being a homosexual and what he accomplished?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Once again - why does being the first openly gay supervisor matter?

Why do some people in this thread have such an obsession with what people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms - so much that they have to trumpet that information about people who otherwise did great things, standing alone from their sexual preferences?

This baffles me.
You know what baffles me? The ability of a supposedly educated and intelligent man to be asking such ridiculous questions.

It matters to the men & women who lived (some still living) in fear for their lives, faced institutional discrimination, and were rejected from society solely for being attracted to the same sex. It matters to the young people struggling to accept their orientation, seeking somebody notable they can model, and wondering if they can be respected professionally when it's made known. And yes, it will be known whether they "come out" or not, since sexual orientation impacts many facets of our lives - even for us straight folks, you just don't notice because it's the "norm."

Every time I mention having a boyfriend, every time a parent mentions having children, every time you see a straight couple holding hands, kissing, etc, they too are making their "bedroom behavior" known publicly. Do you ask them to stop talking about THEIR private lives? I don't care that my co-worker is married, but I'm also not going to roll my eyes when they talk about it.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Why do you have a problem with honoring anyone, if the people want it that way? I don't actually think this proposal will pass, but let us decide - or move to the Bay Area, and then you can have a say in the matter.

Speaking of which, I wonder who will actually get to vote on this? Not sure if you're all aware, but the airport is actually located in San Bruno - which is part of San Mateo County, not San Francisco County. Wonder if they'll extend the vote to all local counties, or just SM? Hmmm.
Me move to the Bay Area?

I think that the vote will have to be limited to San Mateo County - perhaps San Francisco County should expand to the rest of the peninsula.

Los Angeles County split into two - creating Orange County in 1889.

Can two counties merge?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
I learned about Alan Turing a long time a go. My education is partially based in electronics so naturally I learned about his work in the development of computers - I have also studied history - and am well aware of his cryptography work.

I did not know that he was gay when I learned this - and I think that the man's accomplishments stand for themself to this day.

So, this is why I am baffled. Why do so many people on this forum feel compelled to make a point about the man's sexual preferences?

This makes no sense.

What possible correlation can there be between him being a homosexual and what he accomplished?
Quite a bit actually. Imagine what else he could have accomplished for the human race had he not been fired, driven out of this profession, prosecuted, forcibly pumped full of stilboestrol, and driven to kill himself simply for being gay. What a senseless waste of human intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies