Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:03 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times

Advertisements

I would think that very few people actually use abortion as a method of birth control. However, as someone said before, abstinence is the only 100% foolproof method of birth control. My godson was conceived while his mother was on the birth control pill. Unplanned pregnancies happen. It is so very important that the choice is available for those who need it.

Setting aside rape, if one has sex and knows that birth control is not 100 percent effective, and they still have sex, even using a condom and birth control pill, there is still a chance of getting pregnant, and this is known ahead of time ~ so if one goes through all these precautions and still knows that there is a slight chance of getting pregnant - their other option, if they got pregnant and did not want to keep the baby is abortion - hence making it a method.
Making all abortions illegal will NOT stop it from happening. True, it won't stop happening.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:12 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,757 times
Quote:
Women do you feel it is right to go ahead and make such a decision without first consulting with your boyfriend or husband?
sure. it's their body.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:30 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
I would think that very few people actually use abortion as a method of birth control. However, as someone said before, abstinence is the only 100% foolproof method of birth control. My godson was conceived while his mother was on the birth control pill. Unplanned pregnancies happen. It is so very important that the choice is available for those who need it.

Setting aside rape, if one has sex and knows that birth control is not 100 percent effective, and they still have sex, even using a condom and birth control pill, there is still a chance of getting pregnant, and this is known ahead of time ~ so if one goes through all these precautions and still knows that there is a slight chance of getting pregnant - their other option, if they got pregnant and did not want to keep the baby is abortion - hence making it a method.
Making all abortions illegal will NOT stop it from happening. True, it won't stop happening.
I take it you were quoting an earlier post of mine?

You're right that it would be an option, but that doesn't make it a method. The definition of method is "A means or manner of procedure, especially a regular and systematic way of accomplishing something." To say that people use abortion as a birth control method implies that it's something they regularly do, or use no other method of birth control. In the scenario you portray, abortion is an option, not a method.

I can't imagine that most people who have had an abortion have done so in a lighthearted fashion. For many people, it's a gut-wrenching decision, and not something they take lightly.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
It's a choice. A terrible choice to have to make, but one nonetheless.

I would like to think that every female who has to go through this would think that she would want to, and could, tell the father of the child about it. But, there are very many times when the "consultation" is simply not feasible, or warranted.

I feel that it's "right" for a female to do what she feels she needs to do in this situation.

Though, I think that, should this unfortunate situation happen to me again, I *would* like to know how exactly my SO feels about this issue, when push comes to shove. When your butt is on the table, what do you do? And, how much do you respect what your partner feels about things?

Old 11-02-2007, 07:51 AM

558 posts, read 2,249,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
It's a choice. A terrible choice to have to make, but one nonetheless.

I would like to think that every female who has to go through this would think that she would want to, and could, tell the father of the child about it. But, there are very many times when the "consultation" is simply not feasible, or warranted.

I feel that it's "right" for a female to do what she feels she needs to do in this situation.

Though, I think that, should this unfortunate situation happen to me again, I *would* like to know how exactly my SO feels about this issue, when push comes to shove. When your butt is on the table, what do you do? And, how much do you respect what your partner feels about things?
All good points! That said, you do mention that it's not always "feasible" or warranted, and I would just like to emphasize that sometimes the male part of the equation isn't a significant other - or a partner. Those are the times that I think make this so difficult. There's not always an involved, or caring, other party in the picture. IMHO, that's why, ultimately, the woman must decide what to do--and with whom to share the decision.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:02 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
I agree with some of the other recent posters. Please don't ever think this is an easy choice for a woman. Most of the times woman make the choice because the man isn't there or it turns out he was a mistake. Abortions are painful for women in many ways. It's a painful thing to have happen. It's a painful procedure, and for many, they have to carry that with them for the rest of their lives. It's something that most women don't even talk about -- not even to each other once it has past. They make the decision out of shame often. Shame because they can't tell coworkers or family about the situation. Shame because they hardly have the money to take care of or feed themselves. Shame because they just realized that the man who put that baby in them could care less about them. Shame because even the doctor who performs the procedure hardly acknowledges her.

Greenie

Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,693 times
Against abortion?
Adopt a child.

How many pro-lifers out there have adopted children?

Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 AM

558 posts, read 2,249,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I agree with some of the other recent posters. Please don't ever think this is an easy choice for a woman. Most of the times woman make the choice because the man isn't there or it turns out he was a mistake. Abortions are painful for women in many ways. It's a painful thing to have happen. It's a painful procedure, and for many, they have to carry that with them for the rest of their lives. It's something that most women don't even talk about -- not even to each other once it has past. They make the decision out of shame often. Shame because they can't tell coworkers or family about the situation. Shame because they hardly have the money to take care of or feed themselves. Shame because they just realized that the man who put that baby in them could care less about them. Shame because even the doctor who performs the procedure hardly acknowledges her.

Greenie
Wow, Greenie, I just have to say that is one of the most caring, thoughtful posts I've ever read. Won't let me rep ya...but how perceptive are your words! And exactly what I think a lot of women need to hear; very comforting...

Old 11-02-2007, 02:02 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Against abortion?
Adopt a child.

How many pro-lifers out there have adopted children?
Precious few, I'd guess.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:12 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Precious few, I'd guess.
We did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies