Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,218,906 times

Advertisements

We have an emergency generator and extra gas always on hand, wood chopped for the stove, at least several weeks worth of food in the house for meals, as well as a freezer full of meat and a basement full of home canned goods because we have our own meat processed and I can fruits and veggies. We also make sure our first aid kit is always up to date, and that we have other emergency supplies in place--we live in both the tornado belt, and in major blizzard country. We've been stranded for a week at a time before by blowing snow and ice, and we had a town fairly close to us flattened by a twister a few years back, so it's a smart thing to do based on the risks we face. I've never heard ANYONE mock people for taking common sense steps to prepare for an emergency. Our preparation is matched to a worst case scenario for real situations that we could very well (and sometimes do) face.

The folks who are ridiculed are the ones who bought tons of survivalist stuff on credit to prepare for the end of the world this last December--hey--they weren't going to have to pay any of it back, right? It's the people who go out in the woods and train for the uprising of all the city people who are going to come out and steal their food, or for the black helicopters that are coming to get them from the UN or FEMA or whoever the heck some of you people think are out to get you.

People aren't laughing at you for preparing for an emergency--they're laughing at your complete and total paranoia over the imagined dangers that you think you face in the world. It's a fantasy. That's what gets ridiculed--not having enough food, water and an alternate heat source to ride out a blizzard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,707,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Overall I guess I'm just curious as to why a lot of liberals seem to have a dislike of people who prepare for potential negative events.
Utter nonsense. I'll give you an equivalent to let you see how ridiculous it sounds:

Why do a lot of conservatives dislike people who believe in science? (Oh wait - that one's true.)

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 01-25-2013 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 PM

29,615 posts, read 16,602,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
"Doomsday Preppers" is not indicitive of a normal, everyday family who prepares for the unknown, usually economic turmoil.

So, let's cut the bull**** stereotypes, ok?
But thats the point, those are the people liberals are mocking, not the everyday person who has a hurricane or earthquake kit.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
I think one only has to watch TV or watch the news to see that secular socisety has liitle regard for anyhtig they can make fun of stereotypes that are different fro them. They then wander why children this up in their daily dealings with others.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,883,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But thats the point, those are the people liberals are mocking, not the everyday person who has a hurricane or earthquake kit.
Well, and that would be fine with me, but I don't think those are the limitations of the scenarios for which prepping could be useful.

Would you agree that cyber espionage on our energy grid and a fragile financial sector could be grounds for prepping? I livein a region where I do not have to prepare for wide-spread, catastrophic natural disaster, instead I fear the latter scenarios the most. Do I think it WILL happen? Hope not, but myself and my future children will not be caught ill-prepared for a supply chain shakeup.

People forget how much our society relies upon stability, in an environment where things could go south for a whole host of reasons.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,561,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no issues with people who prepare. I think the conspiracy theories that motivate some to do so are irrational.
Exactly!

I always prepare for a hurricane but didn't prepare for Y2K and all the other hysteria.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,561,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
We have an emergency generator and extra gas always on hand, wood chopped for the stove, at least several weeks worth of food in the house for meals, as well as a freezer full of meat and a basement full of home canned goods because we have our own meat processed and I can fruits and veggies. We also make sure our first aid kit is always up to date, and that we have other emergency supplies in place--we live in both the tornado belt, and in major blizzard country. We've been stranded for a week at a time before by blowing snow and ice, and we had a town fairly close to us flattened by a twister a few years back, so it's a smart thing to do based on the risks we face. I've never heard ANYONE mock people for taking common sense steps to prepare for an emergency. Our preparation is matched to a worst case scenario for real situations that we could very well (and sometimes do) face.

The folks who are ridiculed are the ones who bought tons of survivalist stuff on credit to prepare for the end of the world this last December--hey--they weren't going to have to pay any of it back, right? It's the people who go out in the woods and train for the uprising of all the city people who are going to come out and steal their food, or for the black helicopters that are coming to get them from the UN or FEMA or whoever the heck some of you people think are out to get you.

People aren't laughing at you for preparing for an emergency--they're laughing at your complete and total paranoia over the imagined dangers that you think you face in the world. It's a fantasy. That's what gets ridiculed--not having enough food, water and an alternate heat source to ride out a blizzard.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,998,221 times
And yet, not so very long ago, THE GOVERNMENT was fully involved in "PREPAREDNESS"!
Anybody here old enough to remember CIVIL DEFENSE?
Yes, our FEDERAL AND STATE GOVERNMENTS built bunkers, and stocked them with canned water, dehydrated food, radios, Geiger Counters, radios, and, in some cases, even guns and ammunition. Each bunker was stocked to allow 100 or more people to survive for a couple months!
They were mostly in cities, though. I guess they figured country folk didn't need them.
So, country folks built their own bomb shelters, and stocked them to keep their families alive.
We are still doing it, but without the bomb shelters.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,472,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I've noticed that anytime anyone here talks about preparedness for things like natural disasters, civil unrest, gov. instability, etc etc etc there are quite a few of you on the left who instantly mock or insult those of us who prepare for various types of situations that might otherwise put us in danger or a desperate situation. I don't want to dive into different types of preparedness because that will just end up as a pro-gun/anti-gun troll fest. Let's please just keep this at a high level when speaking of preparedness which would encompass anything from storing drinking water and canned food all the way up to people buying stockpiles of freeze dried or dehydrated food and even people who keep weapons of any kind to defend against whatever/whoever might try to cause them harm.

Am I just reading some of you wrong or do you really believe that being prepared is something that should be mocked or do you only do this because the people you mock just happen to be to the right of the political isle?

Overall I guess I'm just curious as to why a lot of liberals seem to have a dislike of people who prepare for potential negative events.
That is simple: the attitude of people that spread fear and anxiety is the worst enemy of any society. It is very contagious and prevents basic normalcy of life. There are 100 nations where people live in misery, deep poverty and disease yet nobody focuses on the next day disaster. Fear is also a sure way to prevent recovery of the economy. As a matter of fact, it is the number one reason our economy doesn't grow. In a broad sense, Americans became the most fearful of any nation. I don't think even the Taliban who have the greatest chance to die at every moment fear as many things as we do.

Last edited by oberon_1; 01-25-2013 at 08:24 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 PM

29,615 posts, read 16,602,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Well, and that would be fine with me, but I don't think those are the limitations of the scenarios for which prepping could be useful.

Would you agree that cyber espionage on our energy grid and a fragile financial sector could be grounds for prepping? I livein a region where I do not have to prepare for wide-spread, catastrophic natural disaster, instead I fear the latter scenarios the most. Do I think it WILL happen? Hope not, but myself and my future children will not be caught ill-prepared for a supply chain shakeup.

People forget how much our society relies upon stability, in an environment where things could go south for a whole host of reasons.
Nope, I saw Jericho, which lead me to reading about how attacking key targets could cripple the U.S. and cut off food lines, power,water and so on.

there probably is heckling of those people for what they say, but i would think the majority of it is because of their reasoning, not the fact that they are doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies