Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times

Advertisements

That was what I told my first wife on our second date!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 12:32 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Honestly, I have brought up a similar point in the past.

I am Pro-Choice, because I know people's views are very different then mine.

But personally I am against abortion.

I have often wondered how my generation will be viewed in the future. What will history books say? Germans didn't feel Jews were worthy of "life" Yet we do something kind of similar every day. What are we at a million abortions a year?

Either way, I do think it gets pushed under the carpet a little bit.
Are you also against abortion in the case of incest or rape ?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Are you also against abortion in the case of incest or rape ?
Personally yes, but as I stated others have different beliefs then me, and I am pro choice.

But personalally, I love my kids, they will always be perfect to me and I will love them unconditionally. Both above situations are tragic and horrible. But it is not the babies fault, it is a brand new innocent life that doesn't know what happened.

Let's say Hitler raped a woman. The woman never saw him again and came to US. A child from rape and evil. Still will be an innocent child and if raised right will be a great kid. Other then genetic material, the child will be raised differently.

I understand not all people believe this way.
, but will respect it. Similar to me eating beef, even though others think they are sacred, but understand my beliefs are different.

Now my turn. Do you have kids?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
you can lead a horse to the koolaid but you cant make it drink!!!!! not this horse anyhow

Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 AM

I thought it brought up some of the decent questions.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:36 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
He keeps asking about killing people or groups of people and if you'd do it. At one point (illustrating a point about uncertainty as to when the fetus becomes a human life) he poses the question: if I think there might be people in that building but I'm not sure - should I just go ahead and blow it up? For me there's a disconnect there and the way I want to explain it is crude but hopefully you can see my point. I could kill a spider but I could never kill a horse; I could kill a tick or a mosquito but I could never kill a dog or a cat. It sounds awful to use these insect and animal examples to make my point but it does convey the same general sentiment of why pro choice and pro abortion people feel it is ok to kill a fetus. It's all taking a life, but sometimes that feels more wrong than others.

Which does bring me to the best argument against abortion I've ever heard which I also mentioned in another thread. The idea that if we declassify certain groups as non-human in order to justify murdering them, or mistreating them, or buying and selling them, it may only be a matter of time before you & I are defined as non-human too.. There was ample opportunity for Ray to make this argument with all of his Nazi / Holocaust info. but he failed to do so.

I also didn't see why the street conversions were included in this film.
First, let me say that Ray Comfort preys upon people's emotional sentiments regarding pain and suffering in order to generate an agreement with his position - that is - the proof he offers is your own feelings regarding issues of pain, suffering, and justice. The problem is these are just subjective sentiments and Ray does nothing to demonstrate their objective metaphysical nature.

Second, regarding the above quote: His point was that of acting out of ignorance. That is, if you are not sure that the fetus is a human being or when it becomes a human being then you should refrain from acting - in other words the argument that we don't know if it is a human being is not a good argument for aborting. Which begs the question how do we arrive at knowledge regarding this subject?

Third, this leds to my last point. Every world view is predicated in large part upon definitions. Therefore, the best way to arrive at such definitions should not be a priori but a posteriori. Hence science has helped us come to a reasoned conclusion on matters of biology and as such we do not need to rely upon religous dogma like the 10 commandments and doctrines like substance dualism as reasons for not aborting. If human life begins - say at 5 weeks after conception - then that is when we should allow abortions to take place and no later. Otherwise, Ray is just playing-up theological assumptions that have been with us for thousands of years plus the biological impulses we have against pain and suffering which Ray links to abortion and equates with Hitler thus prejudicing his ignorant audience with this maze of religous and emotional jibberish.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Once again, many of you claim that we are experiencing a Holocaust in our midst, millions of "babies" are being murdered and your response is, "Change the law?" Serial killers have been enabled to "murder" millions and your response is to wait until enough similarly minded are placed on the Supreme Court, which all of you will acknowledge will take years. Meanwhile, millions more will be "murdered." When I ask you how you can justify this feeble response, you claim that taking decisive action to stop these serial killers would be "anti-life." You're "pro-life." Of course, exactly none of you are pacifists. You all defend killing and war to defend innocent lives. Would you also have argued that using whatever means necessary to disable extermination camps in your midst would be wrong, that we should "change the law" because killing serial killers would be "anti-life?"

Why, in the face of "Holocaust" in our midst, do you offer such feeble defenses of your inaction? Because you don't really believe it's a Holocaust nor do you believe "babies" are really being murdered.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Case closed. Give it up folks. Your hyperbole is just that and you know it.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Because you don't really believe it's a Holocaust nor do you believe "babies" are really being murdered.

I am hungry, can you also tell me what I want to eat, since you know what I believe.

Just saying the German people allowed the holocaust go on as well. Because they allowed it, does that mean it was ok?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:41 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
I generally consider myself a pro-life Christian personally, but that is some of the craziest vomit of nonsense I have ever witnessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies