Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Social issue not so much, economic one yes. Right to work is a union busting measure, so it's more economic than social
No, it's not an "either or" situation. The two are without a doubt connected. Lots of things that look like singular events have many different connections to other events, once we start peeling away at the surface and get down to the core of the issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 04:18 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Don't get me wrong, its cool with me gay people can get married, just go to work and pay taxes and you are fine by me.

But why is gay marriage such a massive issue? I mean its definitely worth mentioning, but it seems alot of people are revolving a large part of there vote based on it. I mean its estimated only about 4% of the poulation is gay, The media/TV is very gay friendly

Abortion, this topic will be argued for a long time. It is a topic so split there will likely never be a change as you push away half of your voters.

I mean I understand, war, foreign policy, jobs, taxes, economy, etc.... Just seems like a large part of the population is fooled by smoke and mirrors, and doesnt see real issues.
You answered your own question. Smoke & mirrors. Liberals cannot compete on substantive issues because the facts aren't on their side. What they can do is shift a discussion over whether a policy is effective and efficient over to whether that policy promotes "social justice" or not.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,664 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, its cool with me gay people can get married, just go to work and pay taxes and you are fine by me.

But why is gay marriage such a massive issue? I mean its definitely worth mentioning, but it seems alot of people are revolving a large part of there vote based on it. I mean its estimated only about 4% of the poulation is gay, The media/TV is very gay friendly

Abortion, this topic will be argued for a long time. It is a topic so split there will likely never be a change as you push away half of your voters.

I mean I understand, war, foreign policy, jobs, taxes, economy, etc.... Just seems like a large part of the population is fooled by smoke and mirrors, and doesnt see real issues.

Gays are a important issue as our founding fathers and the Libertarians of today said equality is good. And often gay children get bullied & sometimes commit suicide as a result.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I see it as both a social issue and an economic one.
"Social issues" are usually the wedge issues that are sometimes but not always tied to religion. They are always issues people on both sides have strong opinions on and get worked up over. Because they are closely tied to religion or worldview, one has to take a moral stand on them on one side or the other, securing base voters. Since the Reagan era, that means abortion and gay rights.

I don't see very many people getting worked up over right to work and I can't ever remember that being an issue in a national campaign.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM

203 posts, read 278,794 times
Social issues are at the core of what a person believes. Economics and power dynamics change. Values and morality are things that are central to how a person views the world and how the world should operate.

You can get someone to compromise on economics but nobody respects someone that compromises on values and morality.

Two sides both have different values and morality. Both are polar opposite and see the other side as infringing on their values and morality.

The non religious and religious values and beliefs are so far apart that we live in a social experiment of sorts. Each side genuinely believes that what they are doing is in the best interest of the country. Each want a society that reflects what they believe.

Someone that believes something yet doesnt want his values and morality to be commonplace is either powerless to achieve it or doesnt truly believe in what he espouses.

In the course of history, nations are held together by a set a values and morality. The values of the Lutherans were different than those of the Catholics in the Thirty Years War. The values of the Jacobins were polar oppposite of the royalists.

History is not kind on struggles between values. It is very hard for people with such diverging viewpoints to obtain agreement. One must become dominant over the other.

As a politician, if you press social issues you tell that liberal/conservative that you agree with his core values and morality while the other guy doesnt. Social agreement means to many that this man sees the world as I do and even if we dont always agree, he has my deepest interests at heart. Mitt Romney played to economics while John Kerry played to war. Bush and Obama played to gay marriage and abortion and won.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:

Just because a specific issue doesn't directly impact someone doesn't mean they don't care about it. In some cases it could be something that doesn't impact someone directly, but could impact those around them. For example, I'm a straight white male, so I would never want to marry someone of the same-sex, however I do have friends who are gay and lesbian, so laws banning it impact those who I care about.

Aside from that, whether or not it impacts me directly, or whether or not it impacts those around me, I believe in equality period.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Social Issues are NOT important. They are used by DemocRATS and Progfressives cover so they can pretend they care abou "the people" while minute-by-inute they strive to wrest control of the poeople's destinies to their own power-hungry hands.
Bush and Rove ran pretty hard on it back in 2004 and won, Romney ran to the right on social issues for the Primaries. He picked a pretty hardcore social conservative as his running mate, you had a bunch of kooky legislation in states, talk about defunding Planned Parenthood, and several candidates making very stupid comments about rape. The GOP ran on social issues just like they did in 2004, the difference was the public's views changed.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Just because a specific issue doesn't directly impact someone doesn't mean they don't care about it. In some cases it could be something that doesn't impact someone directly, but could impact those around them. For example, I'm a straight white male, so I would never want to marry someone of the same-sex, however I do have friends who are gay and lesbian, so laws banning it impact those who I care about.

Aside from that, whether or not it impacts me directly, or whether or not it impacts those around me, I believe in equality period.
That's just it--I'm a straight mother of 5, and I've been married for almost 30 years. I don't think I have the right to tell someone else how to live their lives, especially when their behavior doesn't hurt or even impact anyone else. I absolutely don't think the government should have that right--that's about as big and intrusive as government can get. My church doesn't think so either--my denomination performs gay marriages.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Gays are a important issue as our founding fathers and the Libertarians of today said equality is good. And often gay children get bullied & sometimes commit suicide as a result.
what about fat kids, handicap kids, gingers?

Yes it happens but they are not the only group. Don't get me wrong there are issues, I just don't feel its should be the government's primary goal.

I am willing to bet foreign depedency and economic conditions have killed more kids then gay kids killed themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies