Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM

563 posts, read 809,115 times

Advertisements

Around world, gun rules, and results, vary wildly - Yahoo! News

Proves you can ban guns and have either extreme to little gun violence. There's another factor at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,557,202 times
Japan has a weapon ban and less than 1% of the murders we have here in the US.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 AM

50,535 posts, read 47,325,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
If you are lucky, we'll lose a World war and we'll be disarmed just like Japan was. Otherwise, not happening, too many.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,120,011 times
I've looked at these school shootings and have come up with my own theory. Why is it the progressive liberals that steal guns then go and kill movie goers and children in school have never been a conservative NRA member???

Ft Hood Shooter - Registered Democrat- Muslim
Columbine Shooters - Too young to vote- both families were registered democrats and progressive liberals
Virginia Tech Shooter- Wrote hate mail to Pres Bush and to his staff. Registered Democrat
Colorado Theater Shooter - Registered Democrat, staff worker on the Obama campaign, occupy wall street participant, progressive liberal
Connecticut School Shooter- Registered Democrat, hated christians,

Common thread is that all of these shooters were progressive liberal democrats." Interesting...isn't it?

SO I WAS THINKING, MAYBE WE SHOULD JUST MAKE IT ILLEGAL FOR DEMOCRATS TO BUY GUNS - PROBLEM SOLVED.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,359,191 times
Quote:
Switzerland requires a gun in nearly every home and they also have a far lower murder rate. As the OP noted, the number of guns have no correlation to how many murders are committed with them so then we have to look at what other variables there are.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,897,177 times
What's happening is not an attempt at gun control, it's an attempt to reduce the impact of gun marketing stupidity.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,359,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I've looked at these school shootings and have come up with my own theory. Why is it the progressive liberals that steal guns then go and kill movie goers and children in school have never been a conservative NRA member???

Ft Hood Shooter - Registered Democrat- Muslim
Columbine Shooters - Too young to vote- both families were registered democrats and progressive liberals
Virginia Tech Shooter- Wrote hate mail to Pres Bush and to his staff. Registered Democrat
Colorado Theater Shooter - Registered Democrat, staff worker on the Obama campaign, occupy wall street participant, progressive liberal
Connecticut School Shooter- Registered Democrat, hated christians,

Common thread is that all of these shooters were progressive liberal democrats." Interesting...isn't it?

SO I WAS THINKING, MAYBE WE SHOULD JUST MAKE IT ILLEGAL FOR DEMOCRATS TO BUY GUNS - PROBLEM SOLVED.
There is an easier link to consider with at least 4 of those shootings. (i'm not sure on the Ft Hood one). They were all on some sort of medication to address various issues.

When I sit and watch a commercial on television as benign as acne medicine and it's force to run a warning that if you experience bouts of depression of feelings of suicide, contact your doctor I have to ask myself what this other stuff is doing and how far is the leap to feelings of suicide and feelings of suicide while taking others with you?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,157,048 times
I'm tired of Americans trying to turn the black inner city problem into a gun control platform.

I'm also tired of all the partisanship. How you can follow either party at this point is beyond me. I'm talking to you too Nite Ryder.

Democrats aren't the only people that kill people.

At this point in time, it feels as if the country is filled with pre-schoolers. Just because you work full time does not make you an adult.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,977,352 times
Default the left blew it

Quote:
Japan also has little to no racial diversity and a very rigid socio-economic class system.

Back here in the real world the left blew any chance at gun control for two reasons:

1. Piers Morgan and his rude, arrogant, know it all condescension towards differing points of view. While this made the self righteous left feel good about themselves, it also made gun owners and 2nd Amendment advocates sit up and begin to sniff the wind for threats to their rights. Activism isn't only for the left it would appear.

2. The Journal News. By publishing that map of legal gun owners, the editor and publisher of this paper roused the gun owners and 2nd Amendment advocates and called them to action. This cynical and transparent ploy to increase ad revenue to this publication only endangered legal gun owners and illustrated the fuzzy-headed political tactics of the left.

The calls to congress were like a django unchained tidal wave against any change in existing law.
The purchase of firearms and ammunition has accelerated to warp speed and beyond.
The genie is out of the bottle and there is no way on earth the democrats can cram those weapons back in.
If you are a democrat and looking to place blame (like you always do), look no further than the mirror.

There will be no gun control, period.

The democrats blew it big time. After Sandy Hook they had it in their hands and fumbled. But they know this. just look at the anger and rationalization coming out of the "march on Washington" this weekend.

The most they can hope for on a national level is a watered down back ground check.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:16 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,120,011 times
Default Gun control is not a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is an easier link to consider with at least 4 of those shootings. (i'm not sure on the Ft Hood one). They were all on some sort of medication to address various issues.

When I sit and watch a commercial on television as benign as acne medicine and it's force to run a warning that if you experience bouts of depression of feelings of suicide, contact your doctor I have to ask myself what this other stuff is doing and how far is the leap to feelings of suicide and feelings of suicide while taking others with you?
I agree! Drugs are a big problem, but none of the politicians or news media wants to look into that, they are too busy blaming guns. If it weren't guns it would be knives or something else. A person deranged enough to commit one of these tragedies will use what ever he can to accomplish his goal. My post #4 was a spoof to place blame similar to how ridiculous the news media places blame. I feel very strongly that drugs given kids to alter their moods, hyper activity, etc, have played a big part in how they think and what they do in later years.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 01-27-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies