Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,652,730 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, its cool with me gay people can get married, just go to work and pay taxes and you are fine by me.

But why is gay marriage such a massive issue? I mean its definitely worth mentioning, but it seems alot of people are revolving a large part of there vote based on it. I mean its estimated only about 4% of the poulation is gay, The media/TV is very gay friendly

Abortion, this topic will be argued for a long time. It is a topic so split there will likely never be a change as you push away half of your voters.

I mean I understand, war, foreign policy, jobs, taxes, economy, etc.... Just seems like a large part of the population is fooled by smoke and mirrors, and doesnt see real issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Social issues were made to turn out the low information voter. They are ways to get the vote out without actually doing anything substantive or talk about real policy. It's especially easy in this country because all you have to say is sex and gays and people will listen. They won't listen to shrinking middle class or economic rights. those are boring. Look at a lot of the topics on this board. The most popular topics on here have something to do with sex, abortion, gays, or religion. It's low information voter garbage.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
It's easier on politics to focus on social issues. That is spending "for a good cause".
To deal with fiscal issues either means cuts to programs or taxes which neither politicians nor most Americans want to deal with or hear about.

So ignore the fiscal issues and focus on the social issues and spend away.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Because people can see how the social issues impact their life or other people's lives, they know enough about the social issues to form an opinion and have a basis, however right or wrong, on which to form that opinion. Trillions of dollars is too hard to comprehend. It is difficult for many people to see how spending by the seemingly bottomless government money pit will impact them, because for most, so far it has been on the positive side. Basically social issues are today and personal. Financial considerations and foreign policy is someone else's problem and somewhere in the vague future.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Because people can see how the social issues impact their life or other people's lives, they know enough about the social issues to form an opinion and have a basis, however right or wrong, on which to form that opinion. Trillions of dollars is too hard to comprehend. It is difficult for many people to see how spending by the seemingly bottomless government money pit will impact them, because for most, so far it has been on the positive side. Basically social issues are today and personal. Financial considerations and foreign policy is someone else's problem and somewhere in the vague future.
If I'm reading your post right, you're basically saying social issues are easy to talk about and east to form an opinion about, but stuff that actually matters is too complicated for the average American to bother with?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

So ignore the fiscal issues and focus on the social issues and spend away.

That is what it seems like. Then alot of bickering, and the politicians do what they want aand we never fix what affects us all on a daily basis

Old 01-26-2013, 09:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If I'm reading your post right, you're basically saying social issues are easy to talk about and east to form an opinion about, but stuff that actually matters is too complicated for the average American to bother with?
Pretty much. It took years of education reform for us to get to where we are today.
Dumb and happy to take headline drivel as the absolute FACT.

Even schools have elevated social issues to be on par with or slightly above academic issues.

It's more important that little Johnnie have access to free condoms, not be subject to any religious drivel, dress how he wants than be able to multiply 1/4 by 3/8.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:

It's more important that little Johnnie have access to free condoms, not be subject to any religious drivel, dress how he wants than be able to multiply 1/4 by 3/8.
Exactly!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Pretty much. It took years of education reform for us to get to where we are today.
Dumb and happy to take headline drivel as the absolute FACT.

Even schools have elevated social issues to be on par with or slightly above academic issues.

Which is why my future wife and I are gonna homeschool our kids. It's not because we want to put them in a right wing echo chamber like the *******ed suggest , we ant our kids to learn stuff that matters, at least in the elementary years. We're open to releasing them to the public high school if they want to, we're not going to restrict them like that.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Basically social issues are today and personal. Financial considerations and foreign policy is someone else's problem and somewhere in the vague future.
This. Also many people interweave what they feel is economics to abortion (eg screaming "too many welfare moms/babies!" ) because the simple thinking is: "if I see it (even for 60 seconds on YouTube) I understand it"

You left out poverty, racism and education as topics that hit a little too close to home that are discussed ad nauseam here on C-D

Last edited by grimace8; 01-26-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies