Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
By not attacking the job creators in the first place.
We haven't attacked China, India, or Mexico.

[last time I checked...]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Obama to Kill Jobs Council

Nothing this man does would surprise me.....

I heard an ex-CEO of some oil company telling a story about Obama, before he ran for President.
The CEO saw him at some fund raiser and started to tell Obama, (and this was years ago) that the U.S. could be independent of any foreign oil....Obama snapped at him and said, "We already have a plan!" turn around and walked away....the CEO followed, and said, "excuse me, but we could be absolutely free from any foriegn oil" and Obama yelled at him.."I said, we have a plan". Obama is aloof and spoiled, it must be his way or the highway, right or wrong, and I'm so totally stressed by the fact that this man is our President.
Obama most clearly does not give a damn about Americans having jobs. What few jobs there are will be going to the beloved illegals and all their long lost family members coming up here to get in on the big amnesty Obama is promising.

The American Dream is only meant for foreigers who crash the borders and break any law to get here illegally. Obama isn't doing anything about the problems of our people. He's a puppet of the cheap labor elites.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

we have the highest corporate tax rate in the developed world.
We have among the lowest corporate tax rates as a percentage of GDP in the developed world. If you're going to talk about something, at least know what you're talking about.
"In the final quarter of fiscal year 2012, corporate income taxes amounted to 1.7 percent of GDP -- exactly their quarterly average over the past three decades. ... The effective tax rate -- the share of corporate profits actually paid in taxes -- averaged 19 percent over the past three decades. That is much lower than the top corporate statutory rate, currently 35 percent, because of the various deductions and exclusions that corporations claim." ~ Bloomberg
And here we are in comparison to other countries:

That said, the corporate tax rate has nothing to do with a single thing I said.
Quote:

we collect over 2.3 TRILLION dollars in taxes yearly.
So what? That number is meaningless by itself. It's meaningless in relation to what other countries take in. It's meaningless in almost every context.
Quote:

i know that is the liberal mantra, but what exactly is going to be enough?
When it's enough to support the infrastructure, military, health, safety, and stability of our country and its citizens.
Quote:

can you not see that pulling all this money from the private sector is strangling the economy? it is money PULLED from the economy and given to the government.
Can you not see that you're talking nonsense? Pulling what money? I'm talking about wages here.

Current Scenario
Walmart = $26 Billion Operating PROFIT
Walmart Workers = On Food Stamps paid for by you, when you did not hire them!

As It SHOULD Be
Walmart raises Workers' salaries $5,000 each = still has $17 Billion Operating PROFIT
Walmart Workers = Can pay for their own food, cutting government spending, reducing government dependence!
Walmart Workers earning $8 billion more = more tax revenue going to the government because INCOME is taxed at a HIGHER RATE than capital gains handed out to shareholders.

Quote:

of course, the obvious solution then is to make the government bigger, and bring in more poor low wage earners who not only can't afford to pay any taxes, but will need social services. BRILLIANT!
What on earth are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post

You have said so much utter nonsense in this post it laughable. You say no one has a right to certain profits?. Well no one has a right to a certain wage.
Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it nonsense.

The American taxpayer has a right to demand corporations that want to do business within our borders pay their own workers from their own income and profits.

No corporation has a right to force me to pay their employees with food stamps, housing assistance, medical care, and low income tax credits. Let them pay their own workers!You complain about government spending, complain about low-income Americans having to rely on the government, but you don't demand that corporations take the RESPONSIBILITY to pay their workers so we don't have to.

It's insanity!
Quote:

And no, the only responsibility the business have is to pay you a wage you agreed upon on the hire and of course, safe working conditions. No matter how much you spew your garbage and stump your feet isn't going to change that. Sorry.
This is why our country is so utterly broken. You and your party refuse to hold companies responsible for paying workers, allowing them to get away with abdicating their responsibility and forcing me to pick up more and more of the tab. And then you have the gall to denigrate the people who corporations are forcing onto government programs, and at the same time stomp your feet and demand we Cut! Government! Spending! and quit letting people "suck on the government teat." It's downright dizzying how absurd all those things taken together actually are.
Quote:

Who are you to dictate how much a profit and wage should be?. If Walmart wants to make every billion they can get, well, too damn bad, carry on with your sorry life.
I'M A TAXPAYING CITIZEN, THAT'S WHO I AM!

And that gives me every right to dictate that they pay their own workers and stop making ME cover their payroll.

Let me say that again so it's perfectly clear: I AM A TAXPAYING AMERICAN CITIZEN AND THAT GIVES ME EVERY RIGHT TO DEMAND MY TAX DOLLARS NOT PAD PRIVATE, FOR-PROFIT, CORPORATE BANK ACCOUNTS BECAUSE THEY REFUSE TO PAY THEIR OWN WORKERS FROM THEIR OWN PROFITS.
Quote:

If people can't live on the Walmart wage, then don't take it.
You have no clue how the real world works.
Quote:

Here's the thing, the wage is most likely set by market forces.
There is no such thing. They are set by these very mega-corporations because they have the POWER.
Quote:

Are they to raise it just to met your needs. Which are different from my needs. Even though I can live on that wage and you can't, well lets just raise it because you demand it. Doesn't work like that. Wages are set by market forces and what you can negotiate, not by what you "need". Sorry kiddo.
Don't kiddo me; it's rude. Take a class in economics and maybe you'll learn something. There are actually measures of what level of income is required to meet the needs of various people's requirements based on their family status with today's cost of living. And any corporations that has the money to pay their workers to those standards, but refuses to, thereby forcing me to pick up the slack, is sucking this country dry, laughing all the way to the bank while pointing at you and cackling at your blind devotion to them when they don't give two hoots about you.
Quote:

And most if not all the extra productivity has came from computers and automation. The executives deciding to invest in computers and such for better output had very little to do with the common worker.
Productivity is UP. Workers are working harder and longer. PAY THEM.
Quote:

Of course investors will always invest, just not here or anywhere that is hostile to their returns. I have said this. F***, stop being dense and thinking you are making a point.
You don't get to cuss at me and call me dense. Reported.
Quote:

You whine about my link, and yet have nothing to dispute it contents...really? Before running your mouth about that why don't you try to counter it?...
DUDE! I put a DIRECT QUOTE and a LINK to POLITIFACT right there!
Quote:

And yes they have gone overseas for more profits, in addition to escaping some of the regulations that have became harmful. You seem to think that all those regulations don't add any extra cost or burdens and people won't react to them by moving away from the American economy. Look, you can sidestep regulations as a problem all you want, that doesn't change anything.
Stop whining about regulations. This is still the best country in the world to start and run a business or businesses wouldn't do it. Google could have started in England. Intel could have started in Sweden. Facebook could have started in China. None of them did. They're American companies because America is the best country in the world to do business. And even foreign countries are clamoring to get into the American marketplace, opening offices and plants here every day.
Quote:

Again, like it or not, this and much of the other economies are connected. Sorry, get over it kiddo, throwing a tantrum isn't going to change that. Put it this way, Everyone wants to be paid a high wage but no one wants to by local stuff. Well, you want your "first world wage" well you better start buying American made goods.
Again with snotty mouth and the non sequiturs. I buy almost all American goods. That has nothing to do with anything here.
Quote:

And you keep acting like corporations are supposed to be our caretakers or something. Again, kid, that doesn't work like that. They have no responsibility to give you a nice life. Why would they?. Take your paycheck and go home. The rest is up to you.
I'm not your kid, so knock it off. Corporations do have responsibilities. They have the responsibility to pay their own workers and not make me pay their workers with my tax dollars.
Quote:

And yes I said that with a straight face. Now tell me why you should get a raise just for time going by?. I would think the govt not devaluing the dollar and thus weaken the purchasing power and savings of the middle class would be a bigger issue to address, but that doesn't fit into your narrative, so lets skip over that again.
Ohmygod. I'm so done here. You not only don't get it, you don't want to get it. That's what sad. Pathetic, actually.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM

545 posts, read 400,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
We have among the lowest corporate tax rates as a percentage of GDP in the developed world. If you're going to talk about something, at least know what you're talking about.
"In the final quarter of fiscal year 2012, corporate income taxes amounted to 1.7 percent of GDP -- exactly their quarterly average over the past three decades. ... The effective tax rate -- the share of corporate profits actually paid in taxes -- averaged 19 percent over the past three decades. That is much lower than the top corporate statutory rate, currently 35 percent, because of the various deductions and exclusions that corporations claim." ~ Bloomberg
And here we are in comparison to other countries:

That said, the corporate tax rate has nothing to do with a single thing I said. So what? That number is meaningless by itself. It's meaningless in relation to what other countries take in. It's meaningless in almost every context. When it's enough to support the infrastructure, military, health, safety, and stability of our country and its citizens. Can you not see that you're talking nonsense? Pulling what money? I'm talking about wages here.

Current Scenario
Walmart = $26 Billion Operating PROFIT
Walmart Workers = On Food Stamps paid for by you, when you did not hire them!

As It SHOULD Be
Walmart raises Workers' salaries $5,000 each = still has $17 Billion Operating PROFIT
Walmart Workers = Can pay for their own food, cutting government spending, reducing government dependence!
Walmart Workers earning $8 billion more = more tax revenue going to the government because INCOME is taxed at a HIGHER RATE than capital gains handed out to shareholders.

What on earth are you talking about? Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it nonsense.

The American taxpayer has a right to demand corporations that want to do business within our borders pay their own workers from their own income and profits.

No corporation has a right to force me to pay their employees with food stamps, housing assistance, medical care, and low income tax credits. Let them pay their own workers!You complain about government spending, complain about low-income Americans having to rely on the government, but you don't demand that corporations take the RESPONSIBILITY to pay their workers so we don't have to.

It's insanity! This is why our country is so utterly broken. You and your party refuse to hold companies responsible for paying workers, allowing them to get away with abdicating their responsibility and forcing me to pick up more and more of the tab. And then you have the gall to denigrate the people who corporations are forcing onto government programs, and at the same time stomp your feet and demand we Cut! Government! Spending! and quit letting people "suck on the government teat." It's downright dizzying how absurd all those things taken together actually are. I'M A TAXPAYING CITIZEN, THAT'S WHO I AM!

And that gives me every right to dictate that they pay their own workers and stop making ME cover their payroll.

Let me say that again so it's perfectly clear: I AM A TAXPAYING AMERICAN CITIZEN AND THAT GIVES ME EVERY RIGHT TO DEMAND MY TAX DOLLARS NOT PAD PRIVATE, FOR-PROFIT, CORPORATE BANK ACCOUNTS BECAUSE THEY REFUSE TO PAY THEIR OWN WORKERS FROM THEIR OWN PROFITS. You have no clue how the real world works. There is no such thing. They are set by these very mega-corporations because they have the POWER. Don't kiddo me; it's rude. Take a class in economics and maybe you'll learn something. There are actually measures of what level of income is required to meet the needs of various people's requirements based on their family status with today's cost of living. And any corporations that has the money to pay their workers to those standards, but refuses to, thereby forcing me to pick up the slack, is sucking this country dry, laughing all the way to the bank while pointing at you and cackling at your blind devotion to them when they don't give two hoots about you. Productivity is UP. Workers are working harder and longer. PAY THEM. You don't get to cuss at me and call me dense. Reported. DUDE! I put a DIRECT QUOTE and a LINK to POLITIFACT right there! Stop whining about regulations. This is still the best country in the world to start and run a business or businesses wouldn't do it. Google could have started in England. Intel could have started in Sweden. Facebook could have started in China. None of them did. They're American companies because America is the best country in the world to do business. And even foreign countries are clamoring to get into the American marketplace, opening offices and plants here every day. Again with snotty mouth and the non sequiturs. I buy almost all American goods. That has nothing to do with anything here. I'm not your kid, so knock it off. Corporations do have responsibilities. They have the responsibility to pay their own workers and not make me pay their workers with my tax dollars. Ohmygod. I'm so done here. You not only don't get it, you don't want to get it. That's what sad. Pathetic, actually.
.You do not have the right to dictate what private business and corporations have to do with their wages and profits. End of story. You can whine, yes, but it doesn't make it right.

And that Politfact article was about disputing a claim made by Romney, had nothing to do with what I said, DUDE, but its cute that you posted it as if you had something......but from the article of which you posted :
"For the first three years of the Obama and Bush administrations, Obama is about 24 percent higher."

Doesn't contradict what I said about the thousands of regulations and notices pouring out of the Obama Administration impacting the economy. Try again.

And you said you wanted people to be paid with what you think they are worth, well they have to start shopping locally to support those wages.

Linwood seeks bankruptcy auction
:
The company also hoped to capitalize on consumer interest in American-made furniture picking up the past two years, as furniture prices from China have gone up because of higher shipping, raw material and labor costs...............However, Linwood's strategy with its branded residential furniture has struggled to gain traction."

This is what happens. if they want to stay competitive and pay higher wages, the wages Americans would want, then you have to shop American. I wasn't talking about you personally, sensitive much?.

Welfare Continues to Drive New Births:

"the birth rate among U.S. women receiving public welfare during 2006 was three times higher than that of women not on welfare, reports the Census Bureau."

Three times the birth rate as people who can support their kids?.and I can't tell you how many times I have seen young, able body people in line ahead of me whipping out their EBT cards in one hand and a smart phone in the other...It took me years to finally get a smart phone, but then again I wanted to be self-sufficient. Being on the dole has become almost a subculture where I have witnessed entire conversations take place between young people exchanging advice on how to get more tax payer freebies. But no, its not their fault, if the evil big businesses just paid them more then they wouldn't be reduced to doing such things. Please.

You say there is no such thing as market forces?....care to back that up with a creditable source? I mean I have heard of going rates, market value, blue book value, minimum wage laws and so on, are these not market forces? and of course the Corporations have the power, they are the ones paying the wage for crying out loud. You also have to power to turn down the wage and find something else. But that's crazy, everyone else should be responsible for your life. Instead of telling people to live within their means you demand others just pay them more because you are a "TAXPAYING CITIZEN" or whatever.

You say there are various levels of what income is required for today's family...well who's family?...A family with no kids?...a Family with 5 kids?...how about not a family at all and someone childless and single?...Wages should arbitrarily be set to what is personally going on with you and not the work and market value of your labour?....What kind of economic classes have you been taken?

And you say stop crying about regulations?...Its not just me, its businesses across the nation, big and small, some even voted for Obama that are complaining. But ignore that and keep pouting about "fair share" and wondering where are the jobs.

You keep saying I don't get it, I do, you want to exert some tyrannical control over private entities and whining that you can't. Jump over all the numerous issues the govt has done to the private sector and continue to whine others not paying what you think is their "fair share".

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-30-2013 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You know, the old saying ... "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck ... " etc., it's usually a duck. I know the American Taliban talk and talk like. We see enough of that ilk here on C-D. So, how do you walk?

WE Huh? I've probably been on this site, way longer then you have....and it's my opinion, which I own, just as you own yours...we agree to disagree....
the rest is not worth discussing....

Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Stop whining about regulations. This is still the best country in the world to start and run a business or businesses wouldn't do it. Google could have started in England. Intel could have started in Sweden. Facebook could have started in China. None of them did. They're American companies because America is the best country in the world to do business. And even foreign countries are clamoring to get into the American marketplace, opening offices and plants here every day.

What businesses....all is being outsourced to other countries...the Corporate world is selling Americans out due to this....

and if it were not true, Obama's campaign would not have kept promising, "I'll Create More Jobs?????"

Why people defend they're political choices to the end, even if they are corrupt, is beyond me....

again, both parties are corrupt...

stop getting so upset, everyone thinks and feels differently, all we can hope for is someday, Americans will get it....
do not take someone else's opinion as an insult to yours....or to you....just keep on keepin on...yanno?

Last edited by cremebrulee; 01-30-2013 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I heard the same thing. He did an interview and this was before the guy knew that Obama was going to be president.

yup, and he said, Obama was so extremely aloof and arrogant....it was even then his way or the highway, there is no compromise with this man...and that is a shame....but even so, our country just keeps getting worse and worse. There are so so many people in this country who refuse to believe and admit to themselves, that our political parties, have sold us down the tubes....both sides are corrupt and there is no sign of anything changing....as long as they are in control.
People fear saying, "geeze, I made a mistake". I voted for Obama the first time cuz I was so sick and tired of Bush...and his policies...and thought, nothing could be worse, well, was I in for a surprise...
Obama was created by the media...everybody changing, "Change, Change",

I tell you true, I was following Herman Cain and liked what he had to say, but when he started becoming very vocal about policies, people started sitting up and listening....so, what did they do, they sabatoged him, just when people were really really interested in what he had to say....all of a sudden, he's a womanizer, but, no woman came forward? And I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was Romney's Elite group that sabatoged him, b/c they feared him, he wasn't a player, Romney was....Romney would have done exactly what those guys running this contry wanted him to do. Cain, no way....he was extremely vocal and wham, they hit him with a 2 x 4 and pushed him out....

I just cannot understand, how American's can be so blind....and so loyal to these corrupt partys?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Confessions of a GOP Operative Who Left "the Cult": 3 Things Everyone Must Know About the Lunatic-Filled Republican Party

"Both parties are rotten - how could they not be, given the complete infestation of the political system by corporate money on a scale that now requires a presidential candidate to raise upwards of a billion dollars to be competitive in the general election? ... But both parties are not rotten in quite the same way. ...

There are tens of millions of low-information voters who hardly know which party controls which branch of government, let alone which party is pursuing a particular legislative tactic. These voters' confusion over who did what allows them to form the conclusion that "they are all crooks," and that "government is no good," further leading them to think, "a plague on both your houses" and "the parties are like two kids in a school yard." This ill-informed public cynicism, in its turn, further intensifies the long-term decline in public trust in government that has been taking place since the early 1960s - a distrust that has been stoked by Republican rhetoric at every turn ("Government is the problem," declared Ronald Reagan in 1980). ... "

Read on if you dare.
Right on, you get reps!!!!!!! I'd give you thousands for all those Americans who are definately so mislead and uninformed....I mean, you'd think by looking back in history, they'd get it? Each party, once in throws a tid bit here and there, to keep us thinking they work for us...but everytime, Washington changes parties, it gets a little bit worse...

Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The President no longer has jobs as a priority. He didn't mention it in his inaugural. Probably figures if he can get elected with nearly 8% official unemployment, it is not a serious issue.

Your right.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 AM

Look at what else Obama is accomplishing: Killing Jobs is just one thing....

Attack helicopters conducting training over our major cities? Unprecedented. A president questioning military leaders over whether or not they would fire on American citizens? Unprecedented. This should bother even democrats, I would think. You asked for change? Here it is.....

What do you think about all this? So far there's Houston, Minneapolis, L.A., Miami, Chicago, Boston, Long Branch, Laredo and St. Louis. Did I miss any?

Minn...eapolis Residents Catch Footage of Black Hawks Conducting Urban Training Exercise: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/08/28/minneapolis-residents-catch-footage-of-black-hawks-conducting-urban-training-exercise/
---
Another Massive Military ‘Training Drill’ Involving Helicopters Spotted in Houston, Texas — Watch the Raw Footage: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/28/military-conducts-another-massive-training-drill-involving-helicopters-this-time-in-texas/
---
LAPD And Special Forces Conduct Military Maneuvers In The Skies Above Downtown LA: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/01/25/lapd-and-special-forces-conduct-military-maneuvers-in-the-skies-above-downtown-la/
---
U.S. Military to perform helicopter exercises along border (Laredo): http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=776980#.UQivHmfl4Zw
---
So Why Have Military Helicopters Been Flying Over Miami? We Explain, Plus See the Videos: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/28/so-why-have-military-helicopters-been-flying-over-miami-we-explain-plus-see-the-videos/
---
Blackhawk Choppers Buzz Chicago Skyscrapers: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/blackhawks-helicopters-chicago-oeme-147679695.html
Drone Spotted in Chicago Suburbs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzrS0BVJynM
---
Military Training Exercises to Take Place In and Around Boston: http://www.cityofboston.gov/
---
US Military to Run Urban Exercises in North St. Louis – Residents Hope It Will Cut Down on Crime: http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/06/us-military-to-run-urban-exercises-in-north-st-louis-residents-hope-it-will-cut-down-on-crime/
‘Makes Very Little Sense’: Why Are Army Tanks Rolling Down Residential Roads for Training in St. Louis?: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/06/25/makes-very-little-sense-why-are-army-tanks-rolling-down-residential-roads-for-training-in-st-louis/
---
New Jersey: Army Conducts Training Exercises in Long Branch Monday Night : http://longbranch.patch.com/articles/army-will-conduct-training-exercises-in-long-branch-monday-night
---
‘We Have Never Seen Anything Like This Before’: Beck & the Military Weigh in on Army’s Public Training Exercises: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/07/10/we-have-never-seen-anything-like-this-before-beck-the-military-weigh-in-on-armys-public-training-exercises/
---
Obama to Top Brass: Will you fire on American Citizens?:
"World-renowned educator and human rights activist Jim Garrow says that the source, man regarded as "one of America's foremost military heroes," told him that President Obama is using a new litmus test for "determining who will stay and who must go" among top-ranked military leaders. That test is whether they will fire on US citizens or not. Garrow says that his source made the disclosure in order to "sound the alarm" over the administration's plans..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzT6X3_Bg9o
---
Report: Washington Didn’t Even Tell Marine Gen. He Was Being Replaced: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/25/report-washington-didnt-even-tell-marine-gen-he-was-being-replaced/
---
Subversion And The Demoralizing And Dismantling Of Our Military: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3835307043367&l=b884483d3b

Bush was bad enough, a spoiled rich Brat that did as he pleased, but Obama has Bush beat out big time....Obama will ruin the U.S. and the next candidate after him, whatever the party, will take over and continue to down fall....why? Because Americans are really naieve and unaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies