Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

It is my belief that we aren't going to see any new major gun control legislation any time soon. The reason for this is simple..... Americans are not in favor of much if any new gun control measures. I"m going to break this down in a part by part analyses......

1. Lets look at the numbers. I believe the last number I seen was something like 54% of Americans are in favor of new gun control measures here in the US. This number has a margn of error of +/- 3% so even at that, the number would still be 51%, a majority, are in favor of new controls. The problem is, these numbers along with the methods of getting them, are completely and utterly flawed! The way these studies are conducted is by taking a survey of about 1000 individuals, applying a 10% sample scale on it, and then claimed to be representative of the entire US population. In other words, out of that 1000, 510 people said they favored new controls. Are you telling me that 510 individuals are somehow representative of 311,000,000 people? Give me a break! 1000 is only a mere fraction of 311,000,000. If you want to apply a 10% sample margin on the US population, you would have to survey 31,000,000 people, not 1000.

2. The term "gun control" has many different meanings to different people. Just asking someone if they are in favor of gun control is far too broad and not enough. For example, I support the idea of Universal Background Checks. I could be considered as someone who supports new gun control. Am I lumped in with the same crowd that supports ineffective, irrational, and sensless gun bans like the proposed "Assault Weapons Ban"????? Lets get real. If we are going to conduct a poll on gun control, we need to define exactly what that is.

3. The media is rampant with fallacy and outright lies when it comes to the certain topics. They say things like, "if it weren't for the NRA scaring people, we might be able to get something done"...... Do you even understand why the NRA is so powerful? The NRA isn't some big lobby group that scares polticians. The NRA is me, many of my freinds and family, many of your freinds and family...... The NRA is the people, and as such, for the most part, is representative of the opinions of the people. It has only 4.2 million people but it also has untold numbers of supporters who are not on the membership lists. I was donating long before I was an official member. It's also been said that "people went out in record numbers to buy firearms because the NRA scared them into thinking they needed more guns to defend hemselves"....... This is likely the biggest lie of them all. People didn't turn out in record numbers to buy firearms after Sandy Hook because they felt unsecure or unsafe, it's because they may not have the option to buy the firearms they want in a few months time. Even after many of these errors have been pointed out to them, they continue to spout them off as if it were truth. The fact that record numbers of poeple went out to buy guns is the most telling thing of all.

4. In most cases, gun owners are what they call one issue voters. Everything else about a poltocoan can be right, but if they are anti-gun, in many cases, they will lose a lot of votes, and politicians know this.

These are just some of the reasons that new gun control won't pass. Just face it, if you want gun control, particularly strict gun control, you ARE in the minority. The president knows his only chance of getting the major points of his legislation through congress is by appealing to We The People..... He is completely within his rights to do so. To him I say, good luck with that Mr. President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
They outlawed full auto guns to the public, but there are many full auto guns in homes in your area.
Yes full auto....

Ban all you wish. Only an unopposed house by house search, without a warrant, is going to make sure there are no guns.
Like that is going to happen without a lot of blood lost.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM

768 posts, read 880,117 times
Americans a violent country.

Piers moron uses arbritrary statistics like US vs UK gun deaths. What he omits to mention is UK gun deaths were never high, even what gun control was far more lenient.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Americans a violent country.

Piers moron uses arbritrary statistics like US vs UK gun deaths. What he omits to mention is UK gun deaths were never high, even what gun control was far more lenient.
Morgan says "since the gun ban in the UK, gun deaths have gone down considerably" Oh well no dip dumb ****......... How does the rest of the crime rate compare though? Has it dropped as well? Has it risen? Has it stayed the same? When you don't give all the facts you can support any conclusion you want.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,982,299 times
Banning guns is like trying to bring back alcohol prohibition. You can close down all the major manufacturers but you still have too many mom and pop manufacturers out there that would cater to an underground black market. There are literally millions of weapons out there. Good luck with that!!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:42 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They outlawed full auto guns to the public, but there are many full auto guns in homes in your area.
Yes full auto....

Ban all you wish. Only an unopposed house by house search, without a warrant, is going to make sure there are no guns.
Like that is going to happen without a lot of blood lost.

full autos are not illegal to own if you are willing to jump through the hoops to get them.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,562 times
I’m with Clint…….

Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Hmmmmm.... by the lack of liberal contribution to this thread, I'd say the emotional effect of Sandy Hook has already worn off. They're too busy debating imigration now. 3 weeks ago this thread would have had 11 pages by now.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Hmmmmm.... by the lack of liberal contribution to this thread, I'd say the emotional effect of Sandy Hook has already worn off. They're too busy debating imigration now. 3 weeks ago this thread would have had 11 pages by now.
Or we read the Thread starter and realize there is no point,

1. he says can prove that the numbers are wrong, but all he says it " the sample size is to small."

NEWS FLASH, there is no poll that has ever surveyed 300 million people, even the census doesnt do that and they spend 6 months doing it.

2. An ASB actually has a 54% approval rating, Universal back ground checks averages in the mid 80's to low 90's

so the entire basis of his argument is wrong

3. is just hilarious 4.2 million people can dictate this nation, but 65 million cant????

4. He said gun control is in the minority, but no where did he show anything to back that claim up.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,375,111 times
What I am waiting to see is if there is actually some piece of legislation that is brought to a vote.

Coulter wrote an OP not long ago predicting that there would never be an actual vote taken. I wish there was one tomorrow ..... if I recall didn't votes like this cost the Democrats the House in 1994?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies