Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:55 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I've done it here multiple times in multiple threads and the results are always the same. Frankly, I don't have much interest in taking those laps around the park today. I already posted one of the questions in a post a few above this one. Knock yourself out.
I think that I have now responded to it.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:01 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
LOL! Human sperm and human eggs are the body parts of the man and the woman, respectively. They have the man's and the woman's (respectively) DNA, et cetera. At the point of conception/fertilization, a new individual/entity/organism with its own unique DNA combination is created, after which point it begins to embark on the process of human development.

This is similar to a whole car being more/greater than the sum of all of its parts separately.
The sperm and egg are alive and are not canine or feline or anything else but human. You set this idiotic standard of, "If it's human life, it must have the same rights as you or I," which leads to all sorts of fairly obvious problems. I might add that I believe some in the "pro-life" movement have taken this idiocy to its logical extension and argue that destruction of sperm and eggs is something comparable to murder.

The unfortunate thing is that if you could just abandon this moronic premise, there could actually be common ground, as I and most people acknowledge that there is a point in the development of the fetus that rights, at least some rights, should be conferred. Instead, you cling to the, "If it's alive, it shall have full rights" idiocy and there is no common ground.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:02 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I applaud you for supporting higher tax to pay for children born unlucky enough to have parents who don't care for them.

however why is your support conditional? the obscene amount of money to corporate welfare, favored constituencies and donors are completely off topic besides any money saved would not address the problems associated with unwanted children. born or in utero.

america is always in flux, this is not 1950 nor will it ever be again. holding adults accountable to be responsible? who gets to judge what is responsible? so we go by your morality?

FYI.. innocent children have always paid the ultimate price for the mistakes of others.

no sympathy for the living? how pro life of you. because you deem a persons acts immoral their deaths are of little or no consequence. callous doesn't describe it.

FYI women did die at the hands of "back alley" abortions as well as "self inflicted" abortions. it happened in my family as well as other families. get educated

no it isn't your place to see that women don't get pregnant. neither is it your place to tell them not to live their life as they do.

a woman's health care is private as is her choices in life. just as a man's
Whew... a lot to reply to there, but I only feel obliged to clarify my statement about 'back alley' abortion seekers. I have no less sympathy or compassion for them than I do any other human being, but I have little sympathy for an act that deprives innocent, nascent life of a future when intuitive steps could have been taken to avoid pregnancy in the first place. We increasingly live in a society in which individuals are made to bear no responsibility for their actions (remember the 'Twinkie defense'?) I see abortion as an act that quite possibly makes an innocent fetus bear responsibility for choices made not by itself.

Yes, women died at the hands of butchers in back alley abortions. Back alley abortions are a bad 'choice'; I tend to think a woman of even less than average intelligence should foresee that surgery in someone's tool shed might end badly and that carrying the baby to term and handing it over to a church or adoption center might be the safer course of action. Bad choices often have bad, even horrendous outcomes. You may mark me down as being every bit as much against back alley abortions as I am against abortions in clinics and hospitals. Better?

Old 08-18-2013, 01:02 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
I don't think that I ever claimed that abortion is murder (at least not in all cases). I'm tempted to say that I would charge them with something such as manslaughter (since many women do not have malice when getting abortions), and they would have the opportunity to get all charges against them dropped if they told the police/authorities the name(s) of their abortion provider(s) and fully cooperated with the police investigation against these providers.
Why would pro-lifers let the mothers off the hook? Charge them with pre-mediated murder or manslaughter. Manslaughter can mean 3-20 years in prison depending on the state. What if the mother self induced? This is weakness of the pro-life argument that life begins at conception (or earlier) - charging the doctors but not the mothers.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why would pro-lifers let the mothers off the hook? Charge them with pre-mediated murder or manslaughter. Manslaughter can mean 3-20 years in prison depending on the state. What if the mother self induced? This is weakness of the pro-life argument that life begins at conception (or earlier) - charging the doctors but not the mothers.
Their usual way of weaseling out of this is to claim, "The women are victims, too."

Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
They come from God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even an agnostic like me can get behind this idea if only because it assumes that only G-d -and not government- may take them away.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Even an agnostic like me can get behind this idea if only because it assumes that only G-d -and not government- may take them away.
Yes, that's much more comforting, isn't it? A dictator in the sky accountable to no one being the arbiter of what rights we shall have. Your posts in this thread have been utterly outstanding.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:07 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
If the mother self-induced, then she should probably get 3-20 years in prison. I was previously talking about cases where women got abortions with the help/assistance of a provider.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
If the mother self-induced, then she should probably get 3-20 years in prison. I was previously talking about cases where women got abortions with the help/assistance of a provider.
Ah, so if they hire someone to "murder" their "babies," it should carry more or less?

Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Precisely.

I wish all "pro-life" geniuses could wear that emoticon over their little noggins in perpetuity.
I guess when you debate a topic no one else is debating you have an advantage there. So, if I have serious questions about when life begins and/or when life is entitled by right to protection under the law but I don't follow pregnant women around to see if they're getting enough water I lose the debate. Right? That's your contribution to this discussion? And you're still bewildered as to why no one wants to engage you in serious adult discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.