Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,949,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1234 View Post
I've been thinking lately that it would be great to be an Asian American woman.
Over 98 percent of Asian American women have partners, I rarely see any Asian women alone. Also, Asian woman tend to get the best type of educated and professional men.

I'm black and I have a great education, also I'm thin and cute, but I'm alone, and I know it's due to my race. Professional high earning men tend to prefer Asian and white women. Please spare me the few examples, such as Obama, and others because this is simply not the norm.

I just wonder what a black young woman can do to garner the same respect as Asian women?
I am very shy and soft spoken, with a very good career. Also, I'm a size 2.

What am I doing wrong, how can I get quality guys to see past the fact that I'm black?
Maybe those that dont feel as valued as others should start by valueing themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
I am not going to come out and call you a liar or an imposter, but your post is suspect. I have never met or heard of a Black woman who wanted to be an Asian woman or any other race of woman.EVER. Those of us Black women who are in relationships or married to quality men would really question who you say you are and your ideas in this post. I am becoming less surprised at the nonsense on this forum, but this post is just ridiculous.
Why are you being so closeminded and mean towards this poster? While I would agree with you that the majority of black women are very happy with being black, it is possible that there might be a few individuals who aren't so happy with the way they look. And this poster is only speaking for herself and not for ALL black women such as yourself. And surely she will be happy with who she is once she finds love. But as a single woman, she is having the usual self doubts about herself.

And consider that there are skin lightening creams that are bought by people of colour (blacks, Asians) in all countries and that includes those in the continent of Africa. Need I google up the many articles about how having lighter skin is considered by some to be more attractive than dark, even by those of the same race?

Also, do you hold the same attitude of disbelief and negativity towards people who feel that they were born into a body of the wrong gender to the point that they would like a sex change operation? My point being that there is a small but significant number of people on this planet who aren't going fit into YOUR standards of normal and what is right.

And lastly, even YOU as a black woman CANNOT speak for ALL black women, let alone this particular black woman who is single and having difficulties dating the nerdy type of men that she is attracted to.

Also, btw in general many people of all races would wish to change at least one aspect of their body whether it's about their height or weight, the shape of their nose, their physical build... and it keeps plastic surgeons being very rich. I still can't believe that some women are out their getting butt enhancements! So stop taking this particular thread so personally. Be happy that you are happy with yourself, but accept and have some sympathy for those who aren't as pleased with their lot in life... so chill out!!!

Last edited by miu; 01-31-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
I just remembered that 25 years ago, I had a Chinese friend who wished he were black... why? Because he loved playing basketball so much and wanted to go pro. He just wasn't tall enough. He also told me that in high school, he was the only Chinese player in the city basketball league.

Anyway, it is a real possibility that someone can be terribly unhappy with whatever race they are. And it is an individual opinion and one that doesn't at all reflect negatively on their race as a whole.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,142,282 times
Julie, here's my 2 cents from a white male. Basically I like all kinds, on personality alone black women are near the top. But (please pardon the stereotyping), I really don't want kids, and I've dated a couple black women who I didn;t know had kids until we went out.

So if you don't have kids, I'd advertise that the best you can.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 AM

251 posts, read 274,342 times
Quote:
Over 98 percent of Asian American women have partners, I rarely see any Asian women alone. Also, Asian woman tend to get the best type of educated and professional men.

I'm black and I have a great education, also I'm thin and cute, but I'm alone, and I know it's due to my race. Professional high earning men tend to prefer Asian and white women. Please spare me the few examples, such as Obama, and others because this is simply not the norm.

I just wonder what a black young woman can do to garner the same respect as Asian women?

What am I doing wrong, how can I get quality guys to see past the fact that I'm black?
Sorry you feel bad about yourself. It's sounds like you have a case of the "grass is greener." I mean think about it, you basically are downing yourself because of your skin color. The best quality in a person is their personality and self-esteem IMHO. So if that's lacking you are not going to attract anyone that wants you for you. I hope you find love, but the most important thing is learning how to love yourself. Maybe some good self-help books are in order for you. Take care.

Last edited by Mashiara4life; 01-31-2013 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: grammatical errors 'oy'

Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,351,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
No.. No..No. To everything is this ridiculous post.
The OP referenced a greater "respect" for Asian women than generally exists for black women. You deny that sentiment is prevalent? We are all immersed in our narrow cultural and social experiences, so that can account for discrepancies in opinion. I saw a distinct truth in the OP's thoughts, where you dismiss her altogether as a fraud. I look forward to reading why you believe my first post in this thread is "ridiculous". Maybe I can learn something from you.

Last edited by k9coach; 01-31-2013 at 10:02 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 AM

665 posts, read 1,244,194 times
if you want to stay in the U.S. You can move to NY or Minneapolis.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
The OP referenced a greater "respect" for Asian women than generally exists for black women. You deny that sentiment is prevalent?
I don't think it's true. The OP may feel that way though.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,661 times

What does your size have anything to do with you being in a relationship or deserving a relationship? I'm trying not to scoff at the scrutiny you're placing on your size.

I know plenty of bigger sizes that have adoring husbands and the perfect family, being a size 2 and below does not mean you automatically deserve a mate and that most males only look for that size. Maybe you're narcisstic in some way and turn down potential mates because they aren't gym jocks with a great body and a 28 waist or whatever.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,574,676 times
Quote:

Where did you get the 98 percent from? Regardless, I find the question odd since we all know you can't change your race so why are you bothering with wishing it? It is wrong wishing for the impossible, if it is causing you grief.
If you aren't meeting men and want to, stop blame game and change what you can. People do overcome shyness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies