Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Pastor Refuses to Pay Restaurant's Auto-Gratuity, Asks Server Why She Deserves a Bigger Tip Than God

I know there was a similar thread on this a while ago, but this is interesting because it brings up a religious perspective.

FYI, I think this pastor is a poor example of a Christian.
I guarantee that the pastor was black, the waitress white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 AM

571 posts, read 791,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
No server is entitled to a tip for DOING THEIR JOB. Tips are OPTIONAL.
People like you should be forced to work in the service industry. I wait tables and I make 4.65 an hour (which I struggle to get and have to beg for), which is actually a lot more than they make in some places. At some independent restaurants, they don't even give you an hourly rate and make you an "independent contractor". On top of that, the restaurant you work at is allowed to charge you for credit card processing fees, and you also have to "tip-out" other service staff (bussers, food runners, etc.), who also make very little. At the place I'm working now, I also have to "tip-out" a salad and dessert person and the hostess if she helps clear tables and do side work. Some servers don't even see half the tip from a table BEFORE taxes. Don't want to leave a tip? Stay at home.

It's the right thing to do, do you HAVE to hold the door for someone? No, but it's what a decent person does.

PS, and "tip-outs" are done from sales, not tips, so if a server gets a 10% tip, he still has to tip-out just as much as he does if he makes 20%.

Last edited by punkfan39126; 01-31-2013 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
I prefer the wages of the servers be incorporated into the menu prices of the items and the owner pay them the full minimum wage. If not, I want the option of picking my food up at the kitchen window myself and carry it to my table.

These same servers will demand a tip on the total check even if the resturant is BUFFET STYLE and all they do is refill drinks once or twice.
And, because the restaurants won't do that voluntarily--if they wanted to do it, they'd be doing it now--it will require raising the minimum wage of servers by law to make that happen. You guys can't have it both ways--either you believe tipping is a payment for a service you received, or you want the feds to intervene to make the restaurants incorporate the cost of servers into their budget through increased salaries.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
I prefer the wages of the servers be incorporated into the menu prices of the items and the owner pay them the full minimum wage. If not, I want the option of picking my food up at the kitchen window myself and carry it to my table.
Tell it to restaurant owners. They don't want to jack up prices, so they won't pay their staff minimum wage. That's the way it is. If you don't tip, you are getting service for free and the person who waits on you is literally working for nothing. Living on tips is a precarious way to survive because of people who demand service but think they should get it for free.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 AM

43 posts, read 119,912 times
Not to mention it's pretty terrible to choose to punish the victims of the system just because you take issue with the people who perpetuate it.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:34 AM

571 posts, read 791,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Yes. Still, it is well within the Pastor's right to withhold the tip. There is no stipulation that the amount of tip given (if any) has to be commensurate to the service provided. That is just another social norm. In reality, you have every right to withhold a tip simply because you don't like the waiter's hair color.
Nobody's saying that he doesn't have the right not to leave a tip, but it certainly is bad form. Especially because he left a really obnoxious note.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:34 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Me, too, and I wouldn't give 18% on principle. That's way too much.

That it's a pastor is irrelevant, but typical of Godless lefties. Talk about making a story out of nothing!
IF it being a pastor is irrelevant then God is irrelevant to the situation too, eh?

Typical of self-Righteous hypocrites.

BTW, just because liberals may not subscribe to the right's warped vision of God doesn't make them Godless as you allege.

Last edited by burdell; 01-31-2013 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Tips should never be included automatically and 18%???

I might give 20% if there is outstanding service. It's usually 10 to 15% for mediocre to average service and even less if the service is poor.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,102 times
I think a lot of you don't know how restaurants pay out tips. Because most sales are done via credit card, the restaurants will automatically take a percentage of a waiters total sales (not tips) from their tips to pay out to the hostess, bus boys, cooks. So if you decided not to tip, the waiter still had to pay out a percentage (say 5%) of your check... which could very well be more than the hourly rate they made, thereby they actually lost money serving your table.

The fact is being served food in a restaurant in this country comes with the expectation that you tip the customary percentage. If you walk into a restaurant with no intention of tipping or expecting the waitstaff to "earn it", you shouldn't be eating out. Only if the service is substandard, should you consider not tipping or tipping below the customary percentage.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Tips should never be included automatically and 18%???
That's up to the restaurant management/owner, so you shouldn't take it out on the waitstaff. The policy for large groups is well known and very common, and just about always printed on the menu or posted by the hostess table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies