Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Well it seems they are being offered a free cake from a world-renowned pastry chef. Kudos to him.

Duff Goldman, 'Ace Of Cakes' Chef, Offers To Bake Rejected Lesbian Couple's Wedding Cake For Free

Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Well it seems they are being offered a free cake from a world-renowned pastry chef. Kudos to him.

Duff Goldman, 'Ace Of Cakes' Chef, Offers To Bake Rejected Lesbian Couple's Wedding Cake For Free
And all the attention hos get their free publicity. Same old story.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,608 times
Abomination to the lord.... LMFAO

That stupid book also says that Lev. 11 9-12

These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.
Attached Thumbnails
They Are Abomination Unto The Lord': Baker Who Refused To Make Wedding Cake For Lesbian Couple Faces State Investigation-tumblr_liqnq2kac41qfs91j.jpg  

Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
And all the attention hos get their free publicity. Same old story.
Nice. Please tell us the names of the brides? If they are only looking for attention, you can find their names, right? Please share.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
I've been an advocate for gay right for decades, because I've always believed the gay community deserves every every right everyone else has. I've strongly advocated for equality. Same goes for any minority, regardless of sex race, religion etc. I grew up that way.

However, in my option its becoming a very fuzzy line between everyone's rights, and individual freedoms of business owners. I whole heartedly wish myself that no one would discriminate. To me, discrimination is the abomination/crime what have you. But I wonder openly these days if business owners should have control of their service..and if the discrimination bites them in the @ss then that's their own fault. Person accountability. I would bet that for every 1 jerk who discriminates, there are 5 others more than willing to offer their services. Maybe we should let the old school ways die out on their own, I pretty much think they would, because they would lose a lot of customers these days.

I do grapple with this back and forth because I believe strongly in equality, but also in less govt interference.
So, that means you're undecided? Or was that your way of saying "yes, I am opposed to all anti-discrimination laws."

How about I put out a hypothetical. Let's say there is a private hospital or clinic in a rural area - it's the only one for 150 miles in any direction. Should it, as a private business, be allowed to have a policy of not providing emergency medical treatment to _________? (where _______ can be anything from Christians to black people to gays).

Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 PM

380 posts, read 376,803 times
Would a gay couple going to a Christian bookstore looking for a book to help with gay relationships be able to sue the store because the store doesn't carry books like that as well?

Interesting arguments on which right takes precedence over the the other. Freedom from sexual discrimination vs freedom of religion.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiggan View Post
Would a gay couple going to a Christian bookstore looking for a book to help with gay relationships be able to sue the store because the store doesn't carry books like that as well?
No.

Quote:
Interesting arguments on which right takes precedence over the the other. Freedom from sexual discrimination vs freedom of religion.
DC at the Ridge gave the best argument in favor of the baker, just IMHO.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:12 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So, that means you're undecided? Or was that your way of saying "yes, I am opposed to all anti-discrimination laws."

How about I put out a hypothetical. Let's say there is a private hospital or clinic in a rural area - it's the only one for 150 miles in any direction. Should it, as a private business, be allowed to have a policy of not providing emergency medical treatment to _________? (where _______ can be anything from Christians to black people to gays).
That is a good question. Except that in the medical field its already law that you cant turn anyone away if it is urgent , even if you can't pay. Its for life and death reasons and I support that. Even though a lot of clinics and hospitals are going under due to patients inability to pay. Turning someone away for discrimination reasons would never fly in the medical field. And would not support that even if it were legal.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:12 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Would you say that if the owner of this private clinic absolutely could not bring themselves to serve _____ they should shut it down? If so, then the net result is the same - _____s have nowhere within 150 miles to go.

In the OPs example, the baker was operating in a state that forbade the type of discrimination in which he was engaging. So if he could not bear to sell a cake with 2 brides on top, his only recourse would be to pack his pans and move to Texas. In that case, the lovely ladies would have to find another baker anyway. Or, I suppose the state police could come in and make him bake a cake at gunpoint.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Left-wing fascist? That's an oxymoron, brother.

Anyway, the man in question has every right to his opinion; however, my question is this: is this a privately own company providing a private service or is this a private company providing a public service?

The reason I am asking is because if he is providing a public service, then he has to adhere by the rules, regulations, and protocol set forth by the state or the Better Business Bureau. However bigoted this man's opinion might be is irrelevant. If he is providing a public service, then he has no right to complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies